*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303457-The-ring
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2303457
This is just the first page. Feedback accepted.
The smell of charcoal filled the room while the man worked away. He grunted in pain as his hammer dropped repeatedly. The man’s mop of shaggy grey hair hid his worn, tiresome face. He gazed out the window while the sun slowly rose above the snow-capped mountains. The door creaked open, knocking the man out of his trance. In strolled a handsome young elf wearing his usual dragon-scale armour. He strode forwards, a smile creeping across his face. The elf’s long, blonde hair lay over his shoulders, while his dark, green eyes bore into the man.

The older man bent down to retrieve something, but the elf began speaking.

“Good morning Gabe.”

“Good morning? I don’t think it’s a good morning,” Gabe answered, “How would you like it if you couldn’t sleep when everyone else in the village is?”

Taken back, the elf moved away. Why is he acting like that to me? I haven’t done anything to him.

“I’m sorry, Kastin, but I’ve been a bit grumpy lately since I’ve been awake for a long time. Anyways are you prepared to take the ring?”

“Yeah, I’m ready,” Kastin answered, “But the queen wants it in ten days, so how long are you going to be until you’re done?”

“I’m almost finished, so there’s no need to get so worried. But I still need to put a gem inside of it.”

He pulled out a worn, creased box with dust on the top that Gabe brushed off. He slowly opened it, revealing a blue light from inside that died out. The gem inside had become purple but was not shining. How has Gabe got a Sage Gem? Gabe put the gem on top of the ring. They waited to see what would happen. The rock began to get engulfed by the jewellery, which made Albertus stare in awe. A smile began to spread across Gabe’s face as he stared at his invention. But Kastin had a tugging sensation in his stomach.

“Why was that gem inside that old box?” Kastin asked, curiosity rising deep inside his mind.

Gabe took an uneasy breath, then answered, “A long time ago, when I was about your age, I had to make a ring for the king. However, the bearer of the ring, a young man, became corrupted by its power. He made it to the river Trant building but never went further nor came back. He jumped off the bridge with the ring and then drowned. The jewellery floated into our little stream and was retrieved by someone. The woman brought the ring to me, so I destroyed it but kept the gem. Since then, no one has seen it, until now.

“I think the bandits know about the ring because I’ve seen some strange folk peering through the windows and chased them off twice. But, Albertus, promise me you’ll never put it on three times, or it will only let you control its power.”

“I promise, but what is the power inside the ring?” Kastin asked, curious to know, “You never told me.”

“I think it’s best you find out yourself. Now, if you don’t mind, I will get some rest. I’m tired.”

Kastin caught the ring in mid-air since Gabe had thrown it towards him. Kastin was about to ask Gabe a question, but he had already left. Well, I may as well let my horse know we’re going. He strode out of the armoury and then headed towards the stable. He expected his horse to be happy. However, Abraham wasn’t about the news, and he began neighing, steam rising from his nostrils.

“It’s only going to be for ten days,” Kastin said.

“I don’t want to go,” Abraham neighed.

Kastin wished Abraham would be happy since he had not been out of the village for years. In the end, Abraham agreed. People began gathering around, cheering for Kastin, while he mounted Abraham. The crowd started to part into tiny groups as Kastin vanished into the darkness of the woods.
© Copyright 2023 DragonPrince (kadenkoker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303457-The-ring