*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307312-Key-Inheritance-Background-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Draft · Action/Adventure · #2307312
Oct novel prep assignment 28
On an Earth, not too much unlike our own, big oil companies and politicians had been lying to the people about how much fossil fuel was left to be had. They also lied about how badly it was affecting their planet. The demand for oil and natural gas was constantly on the rise as it was used in everything that had an engine. The warning signs were there. Gas prices constantly soaring, increasingly violent weather, choking air within the cities... All of them were down played by the very people who promised to make things right. Eventually, the fossil fuels ran dry and the world leaders began to panic...

They knew it was only a matter of time before the people figured it out. They also knew that the panic, outcry and backlash from the people would be impossible to contain. The execs of the major oil companies and leaders of the oil producing nations vanished into the night with their billions of dollars like old west hustlers leaving a town once the gold mine ran dry. This left the politicians who once sat comfortable in their back pockets to fend for themselves. The corrupt took note from the oil companies and ran with their money before the panic could begin. Fingers were pointed at each other, big oil and other nations only this did not stop the increasingly violent protests and fights over the remaining drops of fuel remaining around the world. War was inevitable...

However, not all hope was lost. The Smith family bloodline was long obsessed with time; many had ambitions of becoming immortal. After many centuries and constant failures, they had developed the technology to build a time machine and literally step outside of time where they would never age. However, they only succeeded through the birth of one Jon Smith...

Jon sighed as he placed his journal aside and looked out the open window. It was a cool spring day in the tropical region of what would centuries later become Egypt. At the moment, it was a bustling community of star faring nomads. They were giants compared to Jon; standing at nearly ten feet in height. They had built the pyramids in natural clearings as landing pads for their supply drones so not to damage the jungle when they lift off into space. The kind and patient people, calling themselves the Gaians, told him stories of other tribes of their people in several parts of the world.

He chuckled to himself. "Historians and archaeologists had it all wrong. If they only knew the hieroglyphics were added long after these distant travelers abandoned this place."

Why the nomads had forever left the Earth, Jon could only guess. Still, the technology they possessed was leaps and bounds beyond anything his people had, even in the year 2050. He could only guess what their technological advances would be at that time. He paused as a polite knock came to the door of his dwelling. He opened the door to find one of the Gaians smiling at him.

He spoke with a series of clicks and whistles with tiny translator in a small collar instantly speaking Jon's language. "Greetings, human friend, Jon. I trust you had a pleasant sleep cycle."

Jon replied through a translator of his own that was given to him shortly after his arrival. "I did, thank you, friend, Tass. Has the council considered my plea to aid me in my quest?"

Tass sighed, a look of disappointment on his face. "I am sorry, friend, Jon. However, the council made it clear they have a sacred law not to interfere with the natural order of developing peoples." He then smiled.

This did not go unnoticed by Jon. "I take it there is more to their decision."

Tass nodded, a smile forming upon his face. "Although they will not interfere with humans now, they have no issues granting you technology your people of 2050 are close to achieving on their own. It will be up to you to use or abuse this technology."

Jon smiled, tears forming. "Please convey my gratitude to the council."

Tass let out a quick series of clicks Jon had learned to be laughter. "They agreed to grant you the technology but it is up to you to learn how to make it work in this era should you choose to interfere with your people's timeline."

Jon rolled his eyes before laughing himself. "Somehow, I am not surprised."

Tass grinned before motioning to the outside. "You have all the time in the world, immortal one. I am confident you will eventually find a way to make use of what they offer you." He then turned serious. "They had also asked me to relay to you an alternative offer."

Jon raised an eyebrow as the two walked together down a path towards the main city hub. "What is this alternative offer?"

Tass sighed, a hopeful look in his expression. "The council is willing to take you with us on our journey with a mate of your choosing; you could become the first of a new civilization of humans."

Jon was silent, his expression carefully giving nothing away. The offer Tass had relayed to him from the council was painfully tempting. He could travel the stars, learning from the Gaians and greatly expanding his knowledge. He then could return centuries later with technology that would easily save the planet from extinction. Only one issue held him back from accepting; fear. He had no clue if his immortality would hold regardless where he was or if it was Linked the the planet.
© Copyright 2023 Scifiwizard Retired (scilock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307312-Key-Inheritance-Background-Story