*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2315184-Dannis-War
Rated: E · Fiction · Activity · #2315184
Danni fears the worst...
Major Davis

“Major, do you want to drive, or should I?”

“You do it please, John. I want to think about how I am going to handle this. SSgt. Martin was one of my best men. This is going to crush his wife.”

“Do you want me to tell her, sir,” Captain Sorenson, the Post Chaplain asked?

“No, he was my NCO and a damned good one too. I need to do it.”

“Very well, sir.” The car stopped in front of a house, and Major Davis sighed.

“Let’s get this over with.” He knocked on the door.

"Major Davis, what..." Then it hit her. "Mike?"

"Danni, may we come in?"

109 words


Mike

The mission was a bust. Pinned down by small arms fire, the first mortar had buried him in dirt and debris. He lost consciousness. When he woke, he was in a small mud hut, lying on a dirty pallet. He looked around. The room was small and had a single entrance covered by a ratty curtain. It parted suddenly, and he winced against the light.

“Hello?” Speaking broken English, an Afghan man said, “Um… how you say… Your people, they come soon.”

That was a week ago. They had thought he was dead. On the way home, he called his mom and made her promise not to tell Danni. He wanted to surprise her. He exited the cab, walked to the door, and inserted his key. Opening it, he saw Danni on the phone.

134 words

Danni

Danni sighed. Another sleepless night wondering if Mike was ok, if he was alive. What was it, seven days since they had come? She remembered opening the door and being confused. It was Mike's commander.

"Major Davis, what..." Then it hit her. "Mike?"

"Danni, may we come in?"

A tear slid down her cheek. The phone rang, and she jumped. It was Mike's Mother.

"Janet? It's 2am..."

Janet sobbed, "Oh, Danni..."

"Janet, you're scaring me."

Danni heard the key enter the front door and froze. When it opened, Mike was standing there. Danni dropped the phone and ran to him.

100 words
© Copyright 2024 Averren (drkelley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2315184-Dannis-War