*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1647919-Edgar-Allan-Poe
by G&W
Rated: ASR · Other · Death · #1647919
my essay on him please rate and comment
In literature author's use details to make tehre work more vivid and lively. They mentioned senses to give the illusions that you are thier as well as common observattion. Although many athours use details to enhance the mood of a story, poem, book; non did it better then the legendary Edgar Allan Poe. He took his work to a new level were it truely made it seem as if you were a charecter in his story living at a horrible nightmare. The pit and the Pendulem is a perfect example of that.
Poe sets the mood and tone in a unique way but to make it more unique he sets the story in first person to make you live the torutures he puts into his story. The use of I in his story makes you read the story like a diary and it constantly reminds you that you are the one living this nightmare, and you know it at the very begining. "I was sick-sick unto death with long agony." Setting the mood for a tale of suffering wich you will live.
Poe goes into greater detai to enhance the mood even more by bringing the sense into the experiance. THe first one he uses is sight. Poe puts his main charecter into complete blindness were he struggles to explore the sewer like pit he was thrown into. The blindness mixed with the first person gives suspense to the reader and a sense of mystery of what is to come in the blindness of the pir. The reader constantly comparing the darkness of the pit ot an experinace that have; completes the effect.
Plain word choice helps poe in setting the dark and horror filled moood that he sets out to achieve. Words like agony, grotessque, torement, and evil can be found in great amount throughout his story. "Demons eyes of a wild and gastly (check qoute) glanced upon form a thousand dierections." is just one of many examples of excelent words choice to make your heart beat faster. The varieety of symnomes used in the story allow the reader to hear the same meaning in different ways without staleness.
Poe is the master at setting the corect mood for his story in ways only dreamed of by other authours. From chossing the setting to the descriptive synmonm, Poe aces each atttempt at setting the dark atmosphere and bringing the story to life.
© Copyright 2010 G&W (uatbd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1647919-Edgar-Allan-Poe