*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1738717-Journal-TopicsStory-StartersEtc
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1738717
300+ Journal Topics/Story Starters/Persuasive Prompts
For Story Starters, scroll down passed Journal 332. For Prompts for Persuasive Writing look under story starters. These have all been used in the high school classroom and for Writer's Club. Feel free to change them to fit your needs.



JOURNAL TOPICS


1 A friend is one who knows all about you but likes you anyway.'? You may support your explanation with examples from our own life.
2 A childhood memory I will never forget
3 A day in the life of my pet would begin at?.
4 A joke makes everybody laugh. Tell me a good, clean joke.
5 A man is on a desert island with a pack on his back. The police came to see what the cause of death was. They looked inside the pack and found what killed him. What was inside pack that killed him?
6 A memorable ride on a school bus?..
7 A narrow escape that I had from trouble happened?.
8 A place you are or were afraid of.
9 A song that means a lot to me and why is ?
10 A time when my muscles were really sore??
11 A typical phone call of mine goes like this: ( You can make up a phone call if you want to be creative. maybe one between the coach and his star player who slept through the last football game.
12 An education is important because...
13 An experience that changed me the most.
14 An experience that taught me something important about myself.
15 Are you a night owl or a morning person? Explain why and what you like doing at night or early morning.
16 Because you accidentally fell asleep in a comfortable chair inside Penney's, you have been locked inside the store. What would you do?
17 Beginning at Thayer High School, describe for me how to get to your house.
18 Changes that would improve our school?..
19 Choose a profession and convince Mrs. Estes that she need to go into it.
20 Clothing announces to the world things about you. What do your clothes tell people?
21 Compare and/or contrast your mom and your best friend?s mom.
22 Define money.
23 Define power. What is it? Who has it? How do you know someone has it? Is it a good think? Why? Is it a bad thing? Why?
24 Describe a delicious new doughnut that pastry shops should see.
25 Describe a dream that you had recently. Provide as many details as possible.
26 Describe a perfect world.
27 Describe a person you admire.
28 Describe a teacher, relative or friend you will never forget.
29 Describe a time when you praised someone for doing good.
30 Describe a time when you praised someone for doing well. How did it make you feel?
31 Describe a time you felt ... Aggressive, Angry, Bashful, Caring, Cheerful, Committed, Confident, Cruel, Depressed, Devoted, Dishonest, Disillusioned, Engaged, Friendly, Frightened, Furious, Hardworking, Hesitant, Lazy, Lonely, Loving, Nervous, Open, Sad, Scheming, Self-centered, Selfish, Sneaky, Supportive, Thrilled, or Upset
32 Describe a time your hard work paid off.
33 Describe a typical evening at home.
34 Describe how this artwork makes you feel.
35 Describe how you feel when you are at the dentist's office.
36 Describe how you felt when you got it, how badly you wanted it, and anything else you'd like to tell me about it.
37 Describe how you would feel if you were your teacher. If you were in charge, what would you do differently?
38 Describe the ease or difficulty you have writing. Why? How? On What?
39 Describe the Morning Madness at your home.
40 Describe the new school uniforms that are to be worn at Thayer High School.
41 Describe the perfect date.
42 Describe the person sitting nearest you.
43 Describe the sights and sounds at 3:00 (when school is out).
44 Describe to your best friend about Mrs. Estes and her class.
45 Describe who you would to be for one day and why.
46 Describe your bedroom. How does it describe you?
47 Describe your classroom in detail.
48 Describe your dream house.
49 Describe your dream vacation?
50 Describe your favorite band. What makes them so great?
51 Describe your favorite meal.
52 Describe yourself when you are 25? (35,45,55)
53 Do want a funeral? Explain.
54 Do you believe in ghosts or spirits? Why or why not?
55 Do you believe in horoscopes? Why or why not?
56 Do you like movies or books more? Explain.
57 Due to a sudden loss of funds, our school must do away with one of the ' following departments. Which would you choose and why? Either the Coaches or the Guidance Counselors must go. Which will it be?
58 Each state must find its own St. Nick substitute because Santa has come down with the flu. What will your Santa Wear? What kind of transportation will the sub use and what route will he/she take around your state? Who might the sub meet along the way and what special characteristics does your state?s Santa have?
59 Explain what you think life would be like without: plumbing, electricity, cars, windows, air conditioning. On a daily basis, what things would you do differently?
60 Explain: "To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake." You may support your explanation with examples from your own life.
61 Friendship is?????..
62 Halloween was really scary this year??..SHOW ME
63 Hanging out?
64 Have you ever been lost? Tell about it.
65 Have you ever felt lost? Literally or figuratively? Explain.
66 Have you ever learned a new skill? Describe what you learned and the effort it took to learn it.
67 Here?s a look at the next episode of As the School Swings??.
68 Here?s what a new student needs to know about my school:
69 Here?s what I find interesting and/or funny about people.
70 How could TV be better?
71 How did it make you feel?
72 How do you feel about the existence of UFO?s?
73 How do you get home from school? What mode of transportation do you take? Describe a typical trip.
74 How do you think computers will be used in 20 years?
75 How I have learned to ?fool? my parents or what I do to get my parents to let me do what I want to do when they really might not want to let me.
76 How I Spent my Summer
77 How is a good way to make new friends?
78 How is your private self different from your public self?
79 How many places have you lived? Describe the place you remember the most. Pick one room of the house that you remember the most and describe it.
80 How should teachers deal with disruptive and rude students?
81 How to be hired for a job.
82 How to get along with almost anyone.
83 How would do you think your parents views would change if they lived your life for one day?
84 How would you like another day off from school? Well, the principal has just announced school will be closed for one extra day provided you can invent a new and unusual holiday to celebrate. A National Banana bay? A Be Kind to a Porcupine bay? Announce your new holiday to the world by explaining what it honors or commemorates, tell us the name of it, and how it would be celebrated--with parties? Parades? Speeches? Dancing? When would it be held? Remember, the school day you lose could be your own!
85 How would you spend a windfall of $10,000?
86 How would your best friend describe you as a friend?
87 How would your day go if it went perfectly?
88 I accidentally got locked in ______(name a store) over night. Here?s how it happened and how I spent the night.
89 I admit it; I enjoy professional wrestling.
90 I couldn?t believe my mother made me?
91 I hate winter mornings. SHOW ME.
92 I just absolutely hate, abhor, and can't stand __________________ because????????
93 I just hate it when?????.
94 I take some things too seriously. One time,?
95 I want you to personally interview an older person you know about life when they were teenagers or in their twenties. Make a list of questions you would want to ask them. Some subjects you might want to cover would be dating practices, school, work, business, support, marriage, etc.
96 I was most angry when...
97 I wish I could have ???????..
98 I wish someone had told me????..
99 I would use a magic wand to...
100 I?ve done something no one else has done. I have?
101 If I could give one piece of advice to any person, in history, that advice would be?
102 If I could live anywhere I'd live in ____________. Why?
103 If I could meet anyone in the world and had them all to myself for 24 hours, who would it be and what would you all do?
104 If I had 3 wishes, I would wish for??( No, you may not grant yourself more wishes.)
105 If I had a brontosaurus...
106 If I had three wishes I would...
107 If I had three wishes I would...
108 If I were invisible I would...
109 If I were invisible...
110 If I were one inch tall.....
111 If I were the teacher, I would?..
112 If only I had done things differently??..
113 If the school called to tell you that your son was caught skipping school today and he is waiting for you to pick him up at the police station, what would you say to your son when you got there?
114 If you and your best friend could have a free limo where would you go and what would you do? You have exactly 12 hours before you have to give it back.
115 If you could appoint a board of directors to help you run your life, who would you choose and why?
116 If you could be any person in the world, who would you choose to be and why?
117 If you could become extremely physically attractive, would you give up five years of your life? Why or why not?
118 If you could change a few things about yourself, what would they be?
119 If you could invent something to help mankind, what would it be?
120 If you could live in another time period, tell me which you would choose and why.
121 If you could live in another time period, what would it be and why?
122 If you could spend an hour with the president, what are 10 questions you would like to ask him?
123 If you could step back in time to re-live one day, what would you do differently?
124 If you found $100 on the ground in the park what would you do?
125 If you had a choice to live anywhere you could, where would it be? Why? What kinds of things would you do?
126 If you had six children?2 boys, 2 girls, and one set of twin girls?what would you name them and why? How far apart would you have them? How would you support them?
127 If you were an insect, what kind would you be and why?
128 If you were going to die and had only a month to live, what would you do?
129 If you were your teacher, how would you treat you?
130 Imagine a world that contained no written language. What would be different?
131 Imagine you are stranded on a tropical island with your classmates. You have no supervision, no rules, no leader, no McDonald's etc... How would you choose a leader? What jobs would you need? What rules would you have? What if someone broke the rules?
132 In 20 years, I will be...
133 In your best selling book, 8 Ways to Get Along with Anyone, What were your eight points?
134 Is capital punishment a necessary policy in our society?
135 Is it better to give or to receive?
136 Is it ever alright to steal?
137 Is there one place that you love to go? Describe your favorite place.
138 Is war ever justified? When? Explain.
139 It all started on Monday morning when several citizens of (your town) noticed that the sky didn't look quite right.
140 It is three o?clock in the morning and the police have just called to tell you your 16-year-old son slipped out of your house while you were sleeping and was arrested for public intoxication? What would your response be? What would you say or do to your son where you got to him?
141 Last night I awoke to a bright beam of light coming in my window... (finish the story)
142 Last night, while watching TV, I heard a soft knock on the back door... (finish the story)
143 Let's redo our school schedule. What would you think if, students took four subjects each nine weeks period and attended all classes everyday for nine weeks and then they were through with those and signed up for another 4 subjects for the next nine weeks?
144 Life stinks, life is good, life is what you make it. Which one of these best describes your philosophy on life?
145 List twenty-five uses for a toothbrush.
146 Most people, even speakers, are afraid to stand up and talk in front of an audience. Why do you think this is? What could you do as a friend to help a person over this stage fright? What could you do as a member of the audience?
147 My Best Friend
148 My best quality is...
149 My craziest experience in a restaurant or shopping mall was?
150 My favorite kind of music & why I like it
151 My first encounter with a bully was?
152 My life story began this way??.
153 My muscles were so sore after?
154 My newest friend is?
155 My pet is one one a kind. (Prove this statement true by describing your pet)
156 My room is messy. Describe it for me.
157 My worst mistake was...
158 My worst quality is...
159 Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.? What does this mean to you? Give examples of experiences you know about concerning this subject.
160 On Saturday morning you have plans to meet your friend down the street. You walk to the house, knock on the door, and a stranger opens. You ask for your friend. "Who?" the stranger replies...
161 One person who really made a difference to me in life but probably never realized it was________. Tell me how and who and why.
162 One thing I will never allow my child to do?.
163 Our school district is considering going to four-day school weeks. Students will go just as many hours during the week, but they will just go Longer on four days and drop one of the days completely. What do you think about this and why?
164 Persuade Santa to come to your house and fill your stocking a week before Christmas Eve.
165 Picture the meal at Christmas (or any holiday). Now focus on one of your five senses: see, smell, hear, taste, and touch. Describe what that sense experiences throughout the meal.
166 Pretend you are a raindrop. Where would you land and what would happen along the way?
167 Pretend you brought an alien to show-and-tell. Describe what it looked like and how you met.
168 Pretend you were captured by an alien and taken to his/her show-and-tell. How would you describe earth to his class?
169 Should 14 year olds be allowed to watch R rated movies?
170 Should parents be held accountable for their student's attendance at school. Why or why not?
171 Should students over the age of 20 be allowed to play
172 Should there be a legal curfew for teenagers?
173 Should we have police stationed in our school?
174 SHOW ME?The game was a disaster??.
175 Some day I would like to really live on the edge. The things I would do are?..
176 Some things are hard to believe. For instance,
177 Someone famous once said, All the world is a stage and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and entrances." Explain what it means or what you think it means. Bonus points for the person who can tell me who said it.
178 Something funny that happened to me was?
179 Suddenly I realized I was lost??.
180 Tell about a time you had a bad babysitter.
181 Tell about an event in your life that has caused a change in you.
182 Tell about your most vivid holiday memory. What happened and how did it make you feel?
183 Tell me about a friend you had who moved away or you moved away from.
184 Tell me about a helpful person you have met?
185 Tell me about a meaningful gift you have given to someone or have received from someone.
186 Tell me about a stay in the hospital you had or someone in your family had.
187 Tell me about a terrible storm you have experienced.
188 Tell me about a time when you were a discipline problem.
189 Tell me about a time when you were helpful to another person and how you both grew or were enriched by the experience.
190 Tell me about a time when you were very homesick.
191 Tell me about a visit to a relative?s house.
192 Tell me about an adventure you had when you stayed at a friend?s house.
193 Tell me about an important person you know and what they do that is so important.
194 Tell me about any magic tricks you can do.
195 Tell me about coping with your brothers and sisters or your friend?s brothers and sisters.
196 Tell me about one of the happiest times in your life.
197 Tell me about some cleverly written commercials in your opinion and why you think they are so good.
198 Tell me about the people who really know you best and the people WHO THINK they really know you.
199 Tell me about the worst movie you ever saw.
200 Tell me about your experiences on skates?any kind of skates.
201 Tell me about your favorite books that you have read.
202 Tell me about your worst vacation ever.
203 Tell me some good things about your neighborhood.
204 Tell me what courage is. Who has it? Do you have it? Tell me something courageous you have done or wish you could have done
205 Tell me what you know about oceans.
206 Tell me what you know about the stars in the sky.
207 Tell my about your best birthday.
208 Tell what you like about where you live.
209 The best assembly I have ever been to was?
210 The best lesson, my grandparent (or parent or any relative) ever taught me was?
211 The best thing in life is?????
212 The best thing that ever happened to me.
213 The first time I felt grown up.
214 The funniest thing that ever happened to me.
215 The most courageous act I ever saw???.. OR The most courageous act that I ever knew of someone carrying out was??.
216 The most difficult thing I ever had to do.
217 The most favorite assignment I ever completed was in _____ grade when??
218 The most ridiculous thing that ever happened to me.
219 The most serious problem in society is????..
220 The only place SUCCESS comes before WORK is in the Dictionary'. What does this mean to you and can you give some examples to prove or disprove this statement?
221 The qualities that make a best friend are...
222 The saddest thing that ever happened to me.
223 The scaredest I?ve ever been was??.
224 The toys I?ll never give up are?
225 The way I am like ____________ is ____________.
226 The weirdest house pets I ever saw were?
227 The worst thing that ever happened to me.
228 Things that I am most thankful for?..
229 Things that Mrs. E should tell my parents at the upcoming Parents conference.
230 Think of a teacher, relative, or adult that you respect and want to impress. What is it about that person that makes you want to do well for them?
231 Think of and explain three ideas to increase the popularity of the Peptonian while still adhering to professional journalist guidelines.
232 Three items I would place in a time capsule. Why?
233 Today, I want you to do some word associations for me. Choose a person you know very, very well and write down all kinds of phrases or items or words that you associate with them. Look at the list I made about my grandmother as an example for you. Maybe you can get some ideas there.
234 We all make mistakes. Tell me about what made you mad or what made someone you know mad.
235 What advice would give to someone who just moved to Thayer about living in Thayer?
236 What are some of life?s most useful objects and why I think so.
237 What are the characteristics of a hero?
238 What are the characteristics of good friends? What do you look for in a friend?
239 What are the items you don't leave home without? Why?
240 What are the things a new student to THS needs to know about this school?
241 What are three qualities you admire in others?
242 What are your chores?
243 What are your favorite movies? Why do you like them? What makes them special?
244 What are your first school memories?
245 What colors best describe you and why?
246 What do I do to break the routine?
247 What do we Americans do well?
248 What do you consider the most important inventions since 1900? How have they helped or hindered mankind? To give you a bench mark, here are some of the most important inventions BEFORE 1900: x-ray machine, radio, movies, zipper, diesel engine, gasoline automobile (very rudimentary), skyscraper, light bulb, phonograph, telephone, typewriter, elevator, sewing machine, camera, steamboat, cotton gin, stethoscope, cement, gas refrigeration.
249 What do you do well?
250 What do you know about dirt bikes?
251 What do you like and dislike about elderly people?
252 What do you think about the way some of the girls at THS dress to come to school? Should we have a stricter dress code?
253 What do you think it would be like to be your favorite animal? Describe a typical day.
254 What do you think of people who use profanity in public?
255 What do you want to be when you grow up? What appeals to you about this profession?
256 What does courage mean to you? Describe an instance when you, or someone you have heard about, was courageous.
257 What does your summer usually consist of?
258 What has been the greatest failure in your life this year?
259 What has been the greatest success in your life this year?
260 What has been your favorite book? Explain.
261 What has been your favorite movie? Explain.
262 What I know about dinosaurs?
263 What if school sports were to be dropped?
264 What if your house caught fire, what would you take with you? Put these in order of priority: your pet, your $100 savings, photo album, necklace from grandma, favorite piece of clothing.
265 What is a movie you like very, very much? Tell me all about it.
266 What is important to you?
267 What is life like for your backpack?
268 What is life like for your shoe?
269 What is one of the hardest choices you have ever had to make in your life? What were the outcomes of the choice you made? Would you change your mind if you had to make the choice again?
270 What is Success?
271 What is the best present you ever received?
272 What is the difference in a story in a novel form and the same story in play form?
273 What is the right age to start dating? Is it the same for everyone? How would you know if someone is ready?
274 What is your best memory from elementary school?
275 What is your best memory from high school?
276 What is your best memory from middle school?
277 What is your favorite animal?
278 What is your favorite family story?
279 What is your ideal job? Why?
280 What kind of a movie would you like to star in? Who would be your co-stars? Why would you choose this movie and these actors?
281 What made your best teacher so good?
282 What made your worst teacher so bad?
283 What makes you unique, or at least different from, any other person?
284 What student at do you most admire and why?
285 What was the most memorable moment of last year? Write about that moment or draw a picture of it.
286 What was your biggest surprise?
287 What would be your dream vacation?
288 What would life be like if you were only six inches tall?
289 What would you do if you were President of the United States?
290 What would you do with a million dollars? List five things you would buy.
291 What would you feel if your parents told you that your family was moving to Canada for five years?
292 Where do the socks go that get lost in the wash?
293 Where have you lived and what were your favorite things about each place?
294 Which of your personal traits would you like to pass on to your children?
295 While visiting your grandparents' farm you discover an underground shelter in the field. Dusting away the dirt and insects, you find the handle and begin to lift the heavy iron door...
296 Who are some characters in books you have read that you would like to meet? What would you ask them? What would you all do?
297 Who can cheer you up faster than anyone?
298 Who has been the most influential person in your life?
299 Who is your favorite person to be with and why?
300 Who is your favorite senior citizen and why?
301 Who knows you best? Why?
302 Who should be paid more, professional athletes or teachers?
303 Why do you think that so many people around the world dislike and even hate Americans?
304 Words I think are funny are: (name at least three) and tell me why you think they are funny. Is it the way they sound? The way they look on paper? What?
305 Would you like to know when you were going to die? Why?
306 Would you rather be blind or deaf? Why?
307 Would you rather live in another era or culture? Explain.
308 Write a conversation that a shoe might have with a sock.
309 Write a history of your hairstyles.
310 Write a letter to the principal explaining what rules you would like him to change and why.
311 Write about a difficult decision you had to make.
312 Write about a dream you've recently had. What do you think it symbolized?
313 Write about a time you cheated and got away with it. How did you feel?
314 Write about a time you had high hopes for something and got let down.
315 Write about at time you were embarrassed.
316 Write about your favorite vacation.
317 Write an account of a significant event in your life.
318 Yesterday, when I was walking home I was approached by... (finish the story)
319 You are running for the President of the Student Body at Thayer High School. Write a letter to the student body telling them why they should vote for you.
320 You are to be the principal for today. What will be your schedule of events? What will you do?
321 You discover you have only six weeks to live. What would you do and why?
322 You have an extra $100,000 to give away: you cannot spend it on yourself. What would you do with the money?
323 You have decided to write a children's book. What considerations will you have to address in writing this children's book?
324 You have just awakened to find Frosty the Snowman at the foot of your bed. Write the conversation you have with him.
325 You have just been assigned to write a speech on the worst battles of the civil war. Tell me all the places you might go or things you might do to collect the information you would need to write this speech.
326 You have just won a very prestigious award. What is the name of the award and why are you being honored with it? How did you earn this recognition?
327 You have the freedom to travel to any city or country in the world. Where would you go and why?
328 You hear a knock on the door. You answer. No one is there, but on the ground you see three items: a paper bag with something in it, a key, and a phone number written on the back of a business card. Who left them and why?
329 Your class has just presented its first play. No one like it. The school booed it even though our class worked very had on it for over 2 months. Write a letter to the editor of the Peptonian describing how you felt and telling people what your opinion of your audience was/is.
330 Your favorite Mall has just closed down for the night.
331 Your first book has just been published and has rocketed to the top of the Best Sellers list where it remains for 62 weeks. Tell me about this book you wrote.
332 Your mother has just returned from a distant planet and brought you back an alien pet- describe it in detail.

Story Starters


1. A dairy worker develops the uncanny ability to communicate with livestock.

2. You are a lawyer discovers that his client is guilty of the horrible crime for which he was just found innocent.

3. You finally made it: You're at your first book signing. The room's packed. Stacks of book surround you as people line up, eager for the few seconds of conversation they'll have with you. After signing the 20th book, you look up and can't believe who's standing in front of you. Tell us who it is and write the conversation.

4. (Fill in the blank) Seven days ago, ________________. Now, nobody will talk to me.

5. You answer the door to find a salesman touting the latest high-tech writing gadget, which he promises will change your life. He's so convincing that you give in, not even tatting an eyelash at the steep price. Write the salesman's presentation that resulted in the sale.

6. A gambler at a private high stakes poker game is caught cheating.

7. After years with a traveling carnival, the strong man and the bearded lady try to adjust to a normal life as a married couple.

8. Someone breaks into your home, but all he steals is a loaf of bread, a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk. Write a story from the thief's pint of view.

9. I could have avoided all that trouble if only I had remembered to…….

10. Pretend you're the offspring of a villainous literary character (no fairy tales, please), and your parent's worst nightmare has come true: You're nowhere near evil. Write a letter to your parent telling him or her why you're not interested in the dark side. Fe funny, be serious, be angry.

11. Write a review of a horror flick from the perspective of your favorite monster or ghoul.

12. You are up to your ears in projects when a literary character shows up at your home or office. He's looking to be a temp, so put him to work. Write a note to enclose with his pay at the end of the day, highlighting what he's done and what he's earned.

13. A husband and wife (girlfriend and boyfriend) quickly find themselves in reality television hell.

14. Your plane crashes on a deserted island. You and two other passengers survive. The only salvageable items from the plane are pair of scissors, a stopwatch and an electric keyboard. Use these items creatively to get off the island.

15. Write the last line to an unwritten novel that's so intriguing that others won't help but want to read the book.

16. You've recently purchased a new house. Upon your first full night there, you begin to hear noises but think nothing of it—until you see something that convinces you the house is haunted.


17. Write about a ridiculous competition you start with a friend (e.g., a mustache-growing competition, longest-fingernail challenge, etc.) If you haven't done such a thing, make up a story about it or do it now and write about it later.

18. Write about the only time you hosted Thanksgiving. Start with the line, "For my first Thanksgiving as host, I bought the biggest turkey they had in the store," and end your story with "And that's why we all ate hamburgers."

19. You wake up one day with an unusual super power that seems pretty worthless—until you are caught in a situation that requires that specific "talent."

20. You wake up shackled to a chair and can't remember how you got there. Two voices are talking. You recognize one of them.

21. Your friend tells you he can pick up any girl at the bar, no matter what he says. You bet him $100 he can't. Create the world's worst pick up line and send your friend off into the crowd. Tell the story.

22. You drank a little too much green beer on St. Patrick's Day and can't remember the night. A friend calls to check up on you and fills you in on what happened—and why she has your pants.

23. You're 12 years old and have entered a school Halloween costume contest. There's stiff competition, though you're confident you'll win—until you find out someone has bribed the judge. Write this scene.

24. If you had to choose between yesterday and tomorrow, which would you pick and why?

25. You're cleaning out your garage and, hidden away in a back corner, you find an old shoebox. The box is heavier than it should be. When you open it up, you find cash—$40,000, to be exact. Where did the cash come from, who hid it there and why?

26. You're taking a business trip and, as luck would have it, you're upgraded to first class—something you've never done before. As you sit down in your new, more comfortable chair, you notice that the person sitting next to you is a famous musician. Write this scene.

27. You awaken with amnesia in what looks to be an igloo. You have $4 and a rock in one pocket, and a toothbrush in the other. Someone is staring at you. Write this scene.

28. Your closest friend has asked you to give a speech at his/her wedding.

29. You've been waiting in a line for days to get concert tickets to your favorite band's upcoming show. You're keeping track of your experience in a journal. What does it say?

30. You've accidentally dialed the wrong phone number, but the person who answers sounds familiar. Immediately he/she recognizes you, but because made the call you're too embarrassed to ask who it is. Using only dialogue, figure out who the person is.

31. You head into the bathroom at work, walk into a stall and close the door. Moments later, as you leave the stall, you notice two people standing there and there's one major problem: They are of the opposite sex. On the spot, you make up an excuse as to why you are in their bathroom. #



Persuasive Journal Prompts for Academic Writing

Please remember these were used in a high school classroom. So, change them to fit your needs.

1) Write about your self as a writer. What are your strengths and weaknesses? What kind of writing do you like to do best? What is easiest about writing? What is the hardest thing about writing for you? What might help you become a better writer? Why is writing important?


2) Parents, schools, and society all impose rules, but school especially has a set of rules that must be followed. Think of one school rule that you really dislike. Think of some good arguments against having this rule at your school. You might want to brainstorm some good arguments before you start. Then, write a letter to the principal and convince him to abandon this particular rule.


3) What would encourage children in your community to be more active and fit? Outline your plan of another, including the reasons why it would work, as though preparing a persuasive speech for the city council.


4) Pretend you are a Little League coach who is concerned about the poor sportsmanship shown by some parents of players. Write a letter to your players’ parents, persuading them to tone their responses at the games.


5) What is the best way to learn? Through lectures or by hands-on experiences? By discussing or by observing the concepts in action? Develop a plan for an ideal class, including your ideas about these questions.


6) Congress has decided that January 14th will be Teacher’s Day. What teacher that you have had do you think should be honored as an Outstanding Teacher? No coaches allowed unless they are outstanding classroom teachers. Think of some of the excellent teachers you have had in the past or recently. Pick one who you think should be honored. Remember that you must have good reasons and examples support.



7) “When it’s a question of choosing between people and animals, people must always come first.” Do you agree with this statement? Support your opinion


8) When is the last time you visited your public library? Write an article for your newspaper, encouraging your classmates to check out the public library. Explain all the things the library has to offer.


9) Write a letter to your parents and convince them that you need a new car. Be sure to tell them why your old one needs to go. You should have 3 good reasons that are supported with facts.


10) Will society find a ‘cure” for racism or crime or any of the other social ills that plague us? Imagine what it would take to cure a specific social problem. Explain your cure and tell how it would work.


11) Are supernatural characters like wizards and witches appropriate in children’s books? Write an editorial stating your opinion. Include supporting evidence.


12) Some business people argue that child labor is essential in third-world countries because the money children earn prevents families from starving. How would you answer this argument?


13) What are your feelings about teen violence? Are they related to personal experiences? Write a journal entry in which you explore these feelings.


14) Many adults are concerned about the best ways to prevent young people from smoking. Write an editorial aimed at adults, suggesting ways to do this.


15) Do you feel that violent video games are having a negative effect on teens? Write a persuasive essay on this topic. Be sure to support your position.



16) Parent conferences will be next Friday. Tell me the things you think I should tell your parents about your work and behavior in this class. Be sure to think of several of your best attributes you have displayed and give examples and evidence. It would be especially good for you to be positive.


17) Think of something you value highly, that you wish your parents valued, too. Write a letter that will persuade them of its value.


18) What issue is going on the news today do you feel strongly about? Write a letter to the editor of your school or local newspaper. Share your opinion. Try to persuade others to agree with you.


19) Write a letter offering encouragement to a friend or family member who is struggling with a difficult situation. If you cannot think of someone you know personally, write a letter to someone you know about from the news.


20) Is there something you would like you do that your parents will not allow you to do? Write an imaginary dialogue between yourself and your parents in which you try to convince them to give you permission to do as you ask. Be sure to explain why it is in your best interest. Also, in you dialogue, be sure to ask politely and with respect.


21) Is fame a blessing or a curse? Write a journal entry telling your opinion and discussing whether you would enjoy being famous.


22) Why should kids your age help others? Write an editorial for the school newspaper. Explain why students should volunteer in the community and name various places where they can help, such as homeless shelters, homes for the elderly, and childcare centers.


23) Write a letter to a person who inspires you to be a better person. Explain why you admire the person and how he or she influenced you.



24) Suppose you have a great idea for a new food product. Write a letter to a food company, describing the product and explaining why the company should manufacture it.


25) Write a letter to someone who can help save the environment. Express your feelings about pollution and persuade the person to take steps to stop it. You might write to a manager of a manufacturing company, an official of an environment group, or a government leader.


26) Bullying is rampart in our schools. We have found that in extreme cases it can lead to shooting and suicide. Bullying is a problem at our school. Even if someone says they are only kidding, is it still bullying? First, tell what you consider bullying to be. Then, tell me how you feel about bullying. Then, work out a plan for improving or wiping out bullyism here at THS.


27) You are selected for a panel discussion on how we can keep kids from getting their hands on guns. Draw up a plan that includes at least three different possible actions. Explain what you think each action will accomplish.


28) Convince your parents that you need to take an 8 day trip to Japan next summer and they need to help you raise the money which will be about $4800. Be sure to come up with several good reasons why you need to go and several good ways you can try to raise the bulk of the money.



















© Copyright 2011 Rixfarmgirl (rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1738717-Journal-TopicsStory-StartersEtc