*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/997441-Collective-madness
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#997441 added November 1, 2020 at 11:03pm
Restrictions: None
Collective madness.
PROMPT November 2nd

Write about something you collect. If you don't collect anything, write about the collection of a friend or family member.

I’ve never been a collector. Once in India I bought an elephant ornament to remind me of our time in that amazing country. Somehow that led to people giving me elephants for gifts. So I now have a collection of them without even trying!
My mother used to collect Crown Derby China. Over twenty years she managed to get a whole dinner service. These are items no one dared actually used to eat from. They are truly beautiful and fit for a royal. Mum left them to me in her will, so I’m now the nervous custodian. Somehow, I instilled in my children when they were small that they were never to touch them, or play ball in the house, or throw things anywhere in the vicinity of these plates, cups and saucers.
Occasionally I might make myself some tea and drink from one of the fragile cups which I never actually saw Mum do.
I could never bring myself to sell the collection even though the twenty thousand dollars (which is today’s value) would have been handy so many times over the years.
I’ll be passing them on to my eldest daughter one day. She can do what she wants with them.

© Copyright 2020 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/997441-Collective-madness