*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3377541
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing · #2199413
Sign the Guestbook by leaving a comment in the forum. Yes, I know it's not a hotel but...
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 14, 2020 at 6:22am
Re: Checking In
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the comprehensive and interesting comment. I have been aware for some time that we have many things in common (not least our immense and magnificent age). There are areas where we are differ but I have deliberately kept quiet on these, knowing how touchy some people are on certain matters close to theit hearts. Why spoil a good friendship for the sake of a few differing opinions? It has been a great pleasure and honour to read your writing.

I have smatterings of other languages but English has always been and will remain my greatest love. Its variability and cavalier attitude to rules attracts me and keeps me fascinated with the extraordinary feats it can achieve as a result. They say it has the largest vocabulary of any language (in fact it doesn't - German, for instance can just add words when it wants by joining other words together) and that gives one a hint of how extensive are the laguage's interests. But it's those simple, straightforward Anglo Saxon words that are the real secret. So versatile are they, so replete with alternative meanings, so hard-working, that they are at the foundation of all our greatest writing. The annoying thing is that, so often, it's our Celtic compatriots who use it most effectively.

And I digress. Great to see you here, Paul, and I hope we have many other informative and insightful conversations. As old farts, we have a reputation to live up to!
MESSAGE THREAD
Checking In · 10-13-20 12:05pm
by Paul
*Star* Re: Checking In · 10-14-20 6:22am
by Beholden
Re: Re: Checking In · 10-14-20 4:15pm
by Paul
Re: Re: Re: Checking In · 10-14-20 4:36pm
by Beholden

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Beholden.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3377541