*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004413-I-2-UNimportant-Things
by Rhyssa
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2242614
entering Wonderland again
#1004413 added February 13, 2021 at 10:22pm
Restrictions: None
I-2 UNimportant Things
As the new year begins, consider at least one thing you considered too ‘important’ in the past. What makes it so ‘unimportant’ now? (<500 words)

When I was young, I thought that the important thing about birthdays was being a year older and getting presents and/or a party where all my friends could come and sing and play and give me things because I was a year older. Well, I recently had a birthday, and I found that getting a year older wasn't really all that important anymore. After all, it doesn't feel that much different to be forty-four than it did to be forty-three. And I didn't need a party, not really. We didn't have people over and there were no party games nor presents. There was a cake, but it was small and I didn't take much of it anyway because cake takes too much insulin to eat comfortably.

Now, the most important thing about my birthday is that my siblings are reminded of me, and they call me from around the world and I hear about all of the interesting things that are going on in their lives. It's not about parties or friends or presents or getting older. It's about touching base with people I love.

February is full of birthdays in our family (three of my sisters, my father, and a nephew (soon to be age 8) still to come) and I won't necessarily get cake for all of that (or send any presents), but I'll make contact. And wish them a happy birthday. And probably sing. And that will be enough.

word count: 242

© Copyright 2021 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004413-I-2-UNimportant-Things