*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1005450-Turn-Off-the-Light
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1005450 added February 28, 2021 at 12:00am
Restrictions: None
Turn Off the Light
Entry #7 of 8 for "Journalistic Intentions [18+]

*VinylB* Turn Off the Light


Hello darkness, my old friend...

Yeah, yeah, I know. Look, too much light can be a bad thing, you grok?

One of the many things I hate about the beach is how relentlessly bright it is. You're lying there on your towel or whatever, and because walking in sand is intrinsically fatiguing and because of all the heat and humidity and the having to deal with other people, you're tired. So you close your eyes. But that doesn't induce darkness, no, all you see is the pulsating deep red of the skin and veins of your eyelids. The accursed daystar still burns, beating down upon you and trying to give you cancer, blasting its blackbody radiation -- a misleading term, but that's what physicists call it when something shines in a spectrum -- into your retinas.

Even worse is when a cloud passes between you an the solar orb, giving you relief that is as short-lived as it is illusory.

No.

Make it go away. At least for a few hours.

In darkness, there is comfort. In darkness, there is no ugliness, no beauty. In darkness, no one can see you smile.

Turn off the light.

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1005450-Turn-Off-the-Light