*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031822-History-of-my-home-town
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2251646
Well, here it goes! 'The Bard's Hall Contest' got me blogging again, so wish me luck!
#1031822 added May 5, 2022 at 10:31am
Restrictions: None
History of my home town
Prompt # 1 May, 1st. '22 — A bit about the history of your town/area.
Every place has a history. Some towns were founded to support gold rushes, others were close to oceans.
What's the History of where you live? What was the early industry that made your town the place to be? Who founded your town and when?


****************************************************************


My city, Faribault. is a small town built along the banks of the Straight and Cannon Rivers. These two tributaries played a vital role in my city’s early development, an opportunity for fur trade with the Dakota Sioux Indians, who lived along these rivers until 1745, then they were driven south after clashing with Ojibwe over this territory. So, there are a lot of native Dakota Indian names that have never changed to this day. Minnesota ( Mní Sota) means clear water - referring to 'where the waters reflect the skies because the water is clear and still.'

Alexander Faribault, an early fur trader, founded this town in 1852. He loved its scenic qualities, abundant resources, and desirable location. The citizens who live here are proud of its history, and its well-kept businesses in the downtown area. Faribault has more buildings registered on the National Historic Society than any other city its size in the state of Minnesota. He built his house in 1853, is considered the oldest frame structure in the area, and it still stands in its original location.

Growth, development, and economic prosperity followed a couple of years later. After the completion of the first steam-powered sawmill in 1854, the sleepy settlement of Faribault of twenty buildings turned into a bustling town with more than 250 buildings. Historians considered this growth an important milestone in 1855 and 1856 when the creation of roads that connected to other settlements and trading posts, the availability of mail service, and the construction of schools and churches. Afterward, it was then platted in 1855 and granted a home-rule charter in 1872.

There are 18,218 adults who live in Faribault, 3,769 of whom are seniors in Faribault. (Female 11,051 46.43% Male 12,749) There are plenty of parks in and around the area with hiking trails, water parks, golf courses, great restaurants, plenty of events such as racing, visiting caves, great shopping centers, and much more. We have all four seasons to enjoy. I love it here!


© Copyright 2022 Jeannie Cheering for Martel (UN: sjs55049 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeannie Cheering for Martel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031822-History-of-my-home-town