*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/306904
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #890221
A library featuring commonly committed errors of the English language.
#306904 added July 21, 2012 at 5:25pm
Restrictions: None
Fiancé vs. Fiancée
No, these spellings are not interchangeable. There is quite a significant difference between them, in fact. Fiancé refers to a male engaged to be married, while fiancée refers to a female engaged to be married. If you have trouble remembering which sex gets one E and which gets two, you can refer to the number of E’s in the words “male” and “female.” “Male” has one E, as does the word for a man engaged to be married; and “female” has two E’s, as does the word for a woman engaged to be married. An accent is placed over the first (or only) E.

Personally, as a science-minded person, the way I taught myself to remember the distinction, before I became aware of the above method, was to match the number of E’s to the typical number of X sex chromosomes in a person: men’s sex chromosome makeup is usually XY, while women are typically XX; thus, one E for a male engaged to be married and two for a female engaged to be married. If remembering the workings of sex chromosomes isn’t your strong suit, however, then you can always do the reverse of what I do and use the number of E’s in male/fiancé and female/fiancée as a guide to each sex’s usual X chromosome count!
© Copyright 2012 St. Patrickraken (UN: kraken at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
St. Patrickraken has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/306904