*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/387415-Geez-its-been-busy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #1031057
My thoughts on everything from albacore tuna to zebras
#387415 added November 20, 2005 at 7:58pm
Restrictions: None
Geez, it's been busy.
Well, it's been a few days. No I didn't win the chili cook off, but everyone had a good time and that's all that really matters. Once that was over I refocused my energy on getting ready for Thanksgiving. Nine people to cook for. Lucky me... actually I am lucky, for the first time in many years we will almost all be toogether for Thanksgiving, My parents, my sister, my kids and my father-in-law will be here. The only ones missing are my nieces, who moved to some foreign country called Arizona, and my mother-in-law, who passed away a number of years ago.

Even though it's been a rough year for my family ( we lost two of my aunts this year). I still have a lot to be thankful for. I have a wife who I love very much and who loves me very much. I have two sons that seem to be starting to make their way in the world. I have my parents, and my sister. I have a job that I look forward to going to every day. I have my health (mostly) a roof over my head, and food on the table. Yes, I have a lot to be thankful for.

It's easy for us to forget that. It's easy to fall in to a routine where we complain about the first thing that doesn't go our way. We love to assign blame and responsibility to anyone else but ourselves. Look around. I mean really look around. Does it take you very long to find someone else who is worse off than you? How many of us will sit down with our families this Thanksgiving and not give a thought to those who won't be so lucky? Whether they are at war, working in hospitals, fire departments,or simply homeless in a shelter, do we actually take the time to think of them? Better yet, beyond tossing the occasional dollar in the Salvation Army kettle or the bucket of some fraternity/sorority collecting at the stoplight do any of us take time out to actually help? Very few. And I am just as guilty as the rest. Oh sure, I tell myself, that someday when I have time I'll help serve food down at the shelter, or volunteer my time to some worthwhile organization. Only, that time never seems to come. There never seems to be enough time to get the things done that I need to do, let alone help someone else. Sure, if someone asks me for help, I give it. But what about those that don't ask, but need it just as bad if not more?

This Thanksgiving, and for that matter through the whole holiday season take some time to be thankful for what you have and don't complain about what you don't. Look around and don't be afraid to reach out and help. Reach out and touch another soul. Who knows, you just might feel your own soul touched in return.

© Copyright 2005 Rasputin (UN: joeumholtz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rasputin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/387415-Geez-its-been-busy