*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/484164-Lord-Give-Us-A-Sign
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #1031057
My thoughts on everything from albacore tuna to zebras
#484164 added January 28, 2007 at 7:41pm
Restrictions: None
Lord, Give Us A Sign


Is it just me or what? I know, probably the “or what”.

Anyway, while driving, something I do quite a bit of, I am prone to just simply start laughing, for what, to the other people in the car feel, is apparently no reason at all. Today was one such trip.

There’s a restaurant not to far from where we live called the El Rodeo. I’m not sure what kind of food they serve but it’s obvious to me that they like rodeos, so they can’t be a bad bunch of guys. As Linda and I drove past this afternoon on our way to purchase one of those new fangled LBJ...LSD…LCD…DH…HP…HD TV’s that seem to be all the rage, I read the sign in front of the El Rodeo and laughed out loud.

“Okay, what is it, this time?”

“Look at the sign,” I replied.

“Yeah, what about it?” she sighed.

“Isn’t it funny?” I asked.

“No,” was her response.

You see, the sign said, “LIVE MARIACHI BAND! FEBRUARY 19TH”, and my mind went immediately to:

“Man, I’m glad they got a “live” mariachi band this time, because the last month they had a “Dead Mariachi band” and boy did they…stink.

Reminded me of the sign on Rt. 22 not too far out of Pittsburgh advertising “Live Nude Dancers!” No thanks let me know when you’ve got some dead ones dancing. That will really be something to see.

Okay, so I’m weird that way. Signs have always intrigued me. In New York, there’s a Interstate Exit that says “Mexico, New York”

So which is it, Mexico or New York?

In PA, in the middle of the state on RT 80 is an exit for “Jersey Shore”. The Jersey shore has to be a good 400 miles from that exit.

And if that didn’t confuse you enough a few miles down the road is a sign that says “Mile Run – 2 Miles” Man, no wonder I’m tired.

Stopped for gas once at a service station in Frackville, Pa. The sign above the outside spigot said “Portable Water” Portable my Aunt Fanny. Its portable only if you have a bucket.

Goose, Skitch, Little Jim and I left to go bear hunting early one morning. Now, I know you’re thinking okay, so here comes the joke about “bare” hunting. That’s pretty lame if you ask me. Nope, we left one morning drove to the mountains, stopped at an intersection and there it was… a sign.

And the sign said, “bear left”, so we came home. Figured no sense in hunting for bear if he was no longer there.

“Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.” You just have to train (or untrain) your mind to look at things just a half bubble off of plumb. Try it. It’s fun.

Oh. And the title of this entry? Well one of my all time favorite cartoons is of Moses standing on top of the mountain saying, “Lord, give us a sign” In the next frame there’s a bolt of lightning and a puff of smoke. In the third frame the smoke clears and there stands a sign

And it says

“No U Turn”

“Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?”
- Five Man Electrical Band “Signs”


© Copyright 2007 Rasputin (UN: joeumholtz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rasputin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/484164-Lord-Give-Us-A-Sign