*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Writing Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/569587-Saturday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #940786
What's on my mind....
#569587 added February 23, 2008 at 7:46pm
Restrictions: None
Saturday....
Today has been an excellent day. I feel very good even though I haven't accomplished much of anything.

Maybe that is the reason why I feel the way that I do.

Last night I was dragging. I left for work before 7:00 in the morning, worked all day until the buses left at about 4:30 in the afternoon, then I had a hair appointment. It was after 7:00 in the evening when I finally made it back through the door.

I took a bath and sat on the side of the bed to get some reading done. The hubby was still at work; it was one of his late nights. I had some editing to do, and I settled in to get to it while I had the house to myself for a while. To edit effectively, I need to have uninterrupted blocks of time.

When the laptop nearly slid off my lap a couple of times because I'd nodded off, I decided to give it up. I have one of those beds that's over three feet from the floor, and this is a new machine. Although it's under a very good warranty, that was an accident I figured could be avoided. It wasn't anywhere near my regular bedtime, but I turned off the light and lie down.

The next thing I knew, it was light outside. I sensed that it was much later than my normal time to get up. I was right; it was 10:30. I never sleep that late. On a Saturday, if I don't have anywhere to go or anything planned to do, I may not get out of bed until 10:30- 11:00, but I will have been awake since 8-8:30, 9:00 max. I could not believe it.

Since we have an empty nest now, and our work schedules aren't the same, he often sleeps in the back room, especially on his late nights when he goes in later the next day or he's off as he was today. The quintessential morning person, he usually pisses me off by waking up before me or coming into the room and waking me up with "What's for breakfast?" or "What are we going to do today?" It's one of the few bad habits I haven't been able to break him of in our time together.

This morning, though, he didn't surface until almost noon. By that time, I had gotten up, made the bed, and was in the bathroom taking care of the morning stuff. He was fussing about my having allowed him to sleep so long. I told him he needed to check the house for carbon monoxide leaks.

We had breakfast/ brunch and decided to run some errands. We started out going to Walmart to take back some jeans I'd bought, but that wound up not fitting my body shape too well. I'm not made for low-riders- it pays to read the tags, not just the size. We ended up, however, hanging out at IKEA.

Love that place. You want to buy everything. Just set the old stuff on the curb and start all over, doing it up in minimalist fashion- clean, neat lines, lots of color, clean surfaces and open spaces that make it easier for the cleaning ladies- not me- to easily tidy up.

From there, finally on our way to Walmart, we ended up driving into a new subdivision of 15 houses they just built near here. They are huge homes and absolutely stunning as well as absolutely out of our price range. Kitchens with granite counters, built-in stainless steel appliances, and some kind of stone flooring. Huge two story great rooms with towering walls of windows. Walk-in-walk around in- do the tango in closets, to die for master suite, a theatre room in the basement, double covered decks, an outdoor fireplace at the end of a stone walkway leading from a stone patio area- simply, plainly, absolutely droolworthy. One can dream.

We made it to Walmart where I exchanged the pants, found another pair on sale and bought them, and we did some light grocery shopping. Since it's just the two of us, we rarely do it heavy any more.

At home again, we grilled some bratwurst outside on the deck, had some leftover chili from the freezer that I had set out to thaw before we left. It was so good. Chili is always so much better way down the line. While we ate, we talked about things we hadn't had time to talk about through the week. It was nice.

Now I'm in the office writing, and he's downstairs in the man-cave doing his thing. I feel rested and refreshed. My mind is whirling with ideas.

It's been a very, very good day.

© Copyright 2008 thea marie (UN: dmariemason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thea marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/569587-Saturday