*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/660865-Coming-Down-to-Reality
by RatDog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #274453
A Journal of my adventures in the world I inhabit while I'm asleep.
#660865 added July 26, 2009 at 2:26am
Restrictions: None
Coming Down to Reality
I'm determined to get better at flying, so I've rented a place a ways outside of town that has enough room to practice. It's secluded enough so I don't get distracted by other people.

It takes the right amount of concentration and confidence to be successful. When you think you're ready you just start running, put your arms out in front of you and dive forward into a "Superman" pose. If you've got it right you'll start gliding above the ground. But if your concentration is off you end up doing a belly-flop into the dirt.

I practice at this for a while, and soon I have no problem flying. I decide to hitch a ride into town to show off my new skills to the town folks. I get a ride with a trucker and ask him to drop me off next to a field about a mile away. "You got a long walk ahead of you, sure you don't want a ride the rest of the way into town?"

"No thanks, I'm gonna fly," I tell him, as I get out of the cab.

He looks at me kinda strange but I don't care, soon everyone will see that I can fly. I wave as he drives away, then I walk out into the field. the sun is shining and there is a light breeze, it's a beautiful day. I start running and leap into the wind, arms outstretched, and I'm flying, soaring high above the fields!

Soon I'm flying over the town, swooping down occasionally to show off to the townspeople. Cars are beeping their horns at me and people are hollering, I'm creating quite a commotion. A businessman walking to work looks up at me and says "What the hell are you doing?"

I answer, "Isn't it obvious? I'm flying!" as I fly away laughing.

I fly past a group of homeless people in the park and say "Hey, look at me! I'm flying!"

They laugh with joy and one of them says "Right on man! Keep on flying!"

Soon enough I get tired and I land and start walking. A man in a suit comes up to me and says "Are you the guy who was flying around here?"

I say "Yeah, that's me."

He says "We have a doctor who is interested in learning how you can do this, if you'll just come with me I'll introduce you to him."

"Do you have anything to eat or drink there? Flying is hard work."

"Sure, we have plenty to eat and drink, and a private room for you to rest in," he says.

I go with him to the facility and the man shows me to my room. "Just wait here, the doctor will be with you shortly."

Something doesn't feel right about this, so I walk out into the hall. I can hear the man who brought me here talking to someone in a room ahead. I stop and listen.

"He's the one I was telling you about. He's been running around town with his arms out, telling people he can fly. He almost got hit by cars a couple times while running across the streets."

"Obviously he's a danger to himself and others, we'll process him and start evaluation."

I can't believe it, they think I'm crazy! Or, maybe I am? Was I really just delusional? Thinking I was flying while I was just running on the ground? But it all seemed so real!









© Copyright 2009 RatDog (UN: cyam_01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RatDog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/660865-Coming-Down-to-Reality