*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892673-laughter-is-the-best-medicine
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#892673 added September 21, 2016 at 5:34pm
Restrictions: None
laughter is the best medicine
What makes us laugh? I've been reading the comedy newsletter for a number of years and some of them bring funny memories and thoughts that cause me to laugh out loud.
I was thinking about the four part series Better Late than Never. Four familiar men of an age along with a young sidekick take off for a 30 day visit of Asia. Not so funny?
Lets start with who the four men were. Henry Winkler (The Fonz) called the group together. He invited William Shatner (Captain Kirl/Priceline.com), George Forman (heavy Weight Champ and grill salesman) and last but not least Terry Bradshaw (QB and motivational speaker). I started laughing when each agreed to go on the trip. Then Henry called this kid that kept bugging him, Jeff Dye. I'd never heard of him
From the first episode to the last I laughed my way though their antics.
Slapstick comedy as well as just fast reparte.
What was so funny? how does one explain funny? I watched my husband watch the show and he just smiled. I thought he would be 'laugh out loud', nope.
I watch videos posted on my facebook page. Kids laughing always brings a smile and chuckle. What one finds simply cute and gets a smile, others are bending over with a belly laugh. Why? What makes the same thing so funny to one and not another?
The only thing I can come up with is the old adage "You had to be there!" Is that enough?
When writing comedy, we write what we think is funny. Do we need to send along (laugh) cards? I heard a joke today I thought was very cute.

A young man asked a girl to the prom. When she agreed he went to rent a tux. The shop was full and he had to wait in a long line. Finally done there he went to the florist, there again a long line until he could get his order. Then off to the limosine place where now tired he waited in yet another line line for the rental.
At last they were at the prom and he asked his date if she wanted a drink. She agreed so off to the punch table he went, but there was no punchline.


Ok dumb. I'm sure you smiled and went AHHHH.  What makes you laugh? What do you write that makes others laugh? Mostly I read that what we experience in our daily lives that is out of the normal. A comedy of errors. At the time may not have been funny, but later we can laugh.





© Copyright 2016 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892673-laughter-is-the-best-medicine