*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/936299-GET-OFF-YOUR-HIGH-HORSE
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #2095740
My daily devotional insights... and reflections.
#936299 added June 14, 2018 at 11:19am
Restrictions: None
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE
         This is a phrase, idiom that originated in days gone by, but is still used and relevant today.

In medieval England, a person's rank was reflected by the size of the horse he rode. A noble or a person of importance would ride a large and expensive horse, one much taller and bigger than the horses ridden by commoners. The phrase “on one's high horse” came to mean “superior.”Are you riding a high horse? (See Quora.com.)

Haughtiness is the appearance or quality of being arrogantly superior and disdainful; prideful; boastful. (online dictionary)

High-Minded here is arrogant; haughty


         What does God say about this kind of behavior?

1 Timothy 3:1-5: This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
         For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
         Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
         Traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
         Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.


         I believe haughty, high-minded behavior (riding a high horse) is often merely a cloak for feelings of inferiority---an attempt to elevate one’s self in the eyes of friends, co-workers, family, acquaintances. But regardless of what motivates us, it’s the same arrogant behavior, having the same negative affect... shutting down communication and causing others to second guess spending time with us and/or sharing with us.

         Let’s consider the motives behind our behavior today; and ask the Lord to heal the broken places in our hearts and to change us.

© Copyright 2018 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/936299-GET-OFF-YOUR-HIGH-HORSE