*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938682-An-interview-with-author-Grace-Maier-Crook
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2147186
Where I interview various Writing.com members - let me know if I can interview YOU!
#938682 added July 27, 2018 at 5:20pm
Restrictions: None
An interview with author Grace Maier Crook
An interview with innerlight , August 2017.

"Destiny

heaving waves hit the sand
churning thoughts, despair

wave upon wave lashes
pain predominant, can’t let go

words less spoken,
tormenting his soul

the one he loves
forever holds

she is willing
so he may rest

the sun rises? and sets?
the future uncertain

shadows coalesce the
sea pummels the shore

waves forcing, insanity home
one by one diminishing so

Our Lord heard his prayers
come thither I shall heal

a host of angels
descends take his hand

pain washed away,
in the calm seas

on gossamer wings
he rises to be with him

– Grace Maier Crook


What is it about poetry that appeals to you?
Poetry is a release of endorphins, either a welling desire to write out my frustrations, anger, sorrow, or to let the whole world hear the happiness in my heart.

Do you read your own poetry aloud?
Yes, I read them aloud to my cat Sheldon, he is a very receptive cat. He picks up on the flow of the words. If I hit a snafu he looks at me with disdain. I then correct it, read it and read it aloud again. I get kitty kisses for a great job.

Do you have any of your own poems memorized?
I’ve memorized one poem and that is "My Love . I often sit in my rocking chair and recite it over and over again.

Do you share your work with people you know in real life?
I share with my husband and sons, they have no clue where I’m coming from. The same goes for my siblings. I believe the only time they will take notice is when I get published.

When you write, do you write for yourself or for your audience?
I write for myself and an audience whom I’ve an abundance of, it seems.

Who do you consider to be your audience?
I consider my audience to be my family on WDC and my cat Sheldon. He critiques my work in his own quirky way. I know he pops up a lot, he is my best friend and confidant.

What style of poetry do you write? Do you have a favorite?
I love to write freestyle because it gives me the opportunity to express myself in different dimensions.

My sister calls home “he’s gone”.
With a choked voice I tell the others.
I run to another room no one sees my tears.
My husband comes to comfort me.
I push him away to grieve alone.
– "She Grieved Alone by Grace Maier Crook


My favorite form of poetry is haiku, alas I’m not great at it.

When it comes to writing poetry, what do you think is the most important aspect?
In poetry, I think the most important aspect is the use of repetition of repeating words, phrases, or lines. For example, Edgar Allen Poe’s poem ‘The Bells’ repeats the word ‘bells.’

Do you read poetry by other authors? Do you have a favourite poet?
Yes, I do read poetry of other authors but my mood depends upon what I will read at that particular moment.
This poem of Dickinson’s (Because I could not stop for Death) grabbed me by the throat on many occasions. I’ve read this piece before many years ago when life seemed useless. My husband is dying. I know in my heart it will be God who comes for him, extending his hand and climbing the stairs to heaven.
My favourite author would be Carl Sandburg. There are so many definitions in describing style. Sandburg uses nature in his stylistic works.

You write poetry, but are also writing a children’s story, a comedy, and a dramatic script. What challenges do these other formats present for you?
Writing poetry isn’t much of a challenge because it comes from my heart. Writing children’s stories is more of a challenge because you need to find the right age group and genre, and the dramatic script I find there are lots of loops one must jump through to get the right ambience.

You can read more of Grace’s work at her Writing.com portfolio - innerlight .

© Copyright 2018 Elle - on hiatus (UN: elle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elle - on hiatus has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938682-An-interview-with-author-Grace-Maier-Crook