*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/974562-A-few-tips
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #2211469
This is where you can find my works in progress and advice that I have for other writers.
#974562 added January 30, 2020 at 4:08pm
Restrictions: None
A few tips
As a writer, and an editor, there are a few great things you can do to really make your writing great and not tick people off as they read it. Here they are:

1. Always reread your work before posting. If you don't you may miss some spelling errors that totally change the meaning of your story, or grammatical errors that confuse your reader. Other times, there may be a description withing your story or piece of writing that doesn't make sense, such as saying it was dark, but then have the whole room described in detail and saying the sun shone off of a certain object.

2. When foreshadowing, don't make too obvious or obscure. If it's too obvious, everyone will have guessed the twist before it's time. If it's too obscure, than the twist will seem entirely out of the blue and that's just bad writing.

3. Don't be redundant unless it's supposed to add humor. I've read too many pieces where the author uses too many variants of the same word to the point where I'm about ready to just shut the book or put down the paper.

4. Stay on topic, unless it's supposed to create humor. If you are trying to set a mood such as a dark alley way and suddenly you say there's a bright pink butterfly, then your reader will be confused and won't know whether to think its menacing or a tea party.

I hope these help!

© Copyright 2020 U.B. Schultz (UN: tackytyper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
U.B. Schultz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/974562-A-few-tips