*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1927668
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 21, 2009 at 1:03pm
Re: Good poetry references?
by Lorien
One of the things I found most useful when I was first starting to dabble in poetry was the poetry newsletter onsite. Topics vary week to week, but many of them are great: unique new forms, various stylistic devices, advice on rhythm and rhyming, etc. I'd subscribe to that newsletter if you want some interesting information.

A former editor of the poetry newsletter maintains this item: "Poetry Forms [13+]. It has all you'll ever want to know about form poetry, including samples and explanations of even the most unusual forms. (I can't say I've heard of even a quarter of them!) An item with more technical information, rather than simply outlines, is "Invalid Item . Its author is to my knowledge still an editor of the poetry newsletter, in addition to being a prolific poet.

These are good references, but to be honest, what helped me the most was a poetry contest held a few years ago by Jaren is Avarielle called RAW Poetry Challenge. (The item no longer exists, unfortunately.) This was a multiround poetry contest, and each round contestants received a different prompt, style, form, etc. Getting that hands-on experience and being able to view others' take on various types of poetry was really what helped me understand poetry from the inside out.

Lorien

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

The latest on my road to publication? Read it *Right* "Invalid Entry

Merit Badge in Growth
[Click For More Info]

For growing through experience and using it to help fuel your writing.  Feburary 2006 Eclectic Book Club Merit Badge Winner.

One of my favorite places..."Invalid Item
MESSAGE THREAD
Good poetry references? · 06-21-09 9:49am
by Allyson Lindt
*Star* Re: Good poetry references? · 06-21-09 1:03pm
by Lorien
Re: Re: Good poetry references? · 06-22-09 8:36am
by Allyson Lindt

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1927668