*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3501684
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 31, 2022 at 1:27am
Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For You?
by Past Member 'daninidaho'
Note: The following is my opinion, based on an aversion to outlining. While I believe it has its place as an organizational tool (once the MS is in halfway decent shape), a foundational rough draft should first be established...

When an idea comes into my head, I start writing. And writing. And writing. The last thing I want to do is hamper the creativity my brain is so good at engaging in, and planning ahead (at least at first) doesn't give my mind the elbow room it needs to get moving.

So, I write for a while- until the pen stops moving. Then I look over what I've written.

I let the rough draft sit for a day or two and then come back and see how much more I can get down on paper.

Now, you're probably saying "The heck with that! I want to know where I'm going before I begin writing." That's all well and good for the logical, organizational part of your brain.

But your brain is saying "The heck with you! If you won't let me do my job, I'll seize up like a 1959 Studebaker engine and you'll get nothing."

What I'm trying to say is that you can have the best plan in the world, a structure you feel inspired about. You start writing, one eye on the keyboard, the other on your outline- sort of like a prisoner and the prison guard eying each other, warily. Then it happens: during the course of getting that first rough draft written out, some of your characters decide to take on a life of their own. They suddenly bolt from the nicely trimmed and laid out forest path you've designed, diving off into bushes or caves where the real adventure may be waiting- those surprises your mind is dying to spring on you. Are you going to slap a straitjacket on said unruly characters until they settle down and conform to what you want them to do, instead of what may be more natural or funny or horrendous behavior?

I've had characters in stories I've written decide on a course more interesting than the boring one I'd planned for them. I can either go with the new flow, or slap said character back into line. That's what makes writing off the top of your head so exciting: the story may start writing itself while you're busy laying a foundation in the rough draft. It's not that all the words are coming out in perfect order or style- but one's mind has a way of helping lay out ideas and scenes for you, once that chapter draft is out in the open.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck to you. But try doing a draft both ways, and see which method (or a combination of both) works best.
MESSAGE THREAD
Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For You? · 05-04-22 7:13pm
by ℰ𝒯𝒞...
Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For You? · 05-04-22 7:45pm
by s
Re: Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For... · 05-04-22 8:01pm
by ℰ𝒯𝒞...
Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For You? · 05-05-22 2:06am
by Zen
Re: Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For... · 05-05-22 11:19pm
by ℰ𝒯𝒞...
*Star* Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For You? · 05-31-22 1:27am
by Past Member 'daninidaho'
Re: Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For... · 05-31-22 2:54am
by Dawn Embers
Re: Re: Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked... · 06-14-22 10:23am
by William Stafford
Re: Re: Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked... · 06-23-22 5:29am
by N.A Miller
Re: Writing Process - The Draft - What Has Worked For You? · 06-15-22 3:22am
by Past Member 'hjfurl'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3501684