*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1144392-My-Father---My-Life
by snoopy
Rated: E · Monologue · Death · #1144392
Thoughts running through my mind on the morning of Dad's funeral in October 2004
Original words.....as written on the morning of 12th October 2004....left it unedited for personal/ emotional effect on the reader.... I will begin...


He loved being outdoors, whether at the beach, on the golf course, down the bowling club - or just pottering around the garden.
Dad was very meticulous and a perfectionist, telling me to fix the cushions, don't mark the walls, wash your plate - and any other habit of mine which he found annoying he would always have a comment to say.
At the time I think back and remember those little criticisms used to get me in an angry mood - but now, with Dad's passing, it's those words I wish to hear again.

I have been swimming since I was a small child - I remember Dad taking my sisters and I to Roselands Amateur Swimming Club on Sunday mornings and sharing a bacon roll with Dad while he time-kept on the races.
In later years I swam in many clubs with Dad - St George Leagues Club, Cronulla RSL, Cronulla Polar Bears and a smaller club - Gymea Bay Green Slugs.
I followed and enjoyed our Father-Son routine - Wednesday nights at Carss Park or Peakhurst with St George - and then in winter - Polar Bears at Cronulla - where we sit and eat and drink after the races - and do some "male bonding" - sharing jokes and laughs and always going home feeling very full - with both food and beer!

In recent times in 2002, Dad joined the Greyhound Social Golf Club at Yagoona. It wasn't long until Dad invited me to play - and so another "Father-Son" team was made - in another club. I remember getting up at 4:30am on Sundays - so we could be at the golf course to tee off at 6am whatever the weather conditions!
It is those times with Dad I will truly miss - I being faced with now continuing to attend in Dad's memory and now being the "Son" in the team - I will always be reminded and be known as "Bob's son" which will be an honour and a name I am proud to wear.

The whole family will miss Dad in their own ways - such as me - but the time and the sporting achievements we accomplished together will always be in my memories and heart forever. I am lost without Dad but I remain strong for Rach and Sarah - for I now must protect them and form closer and stronger bonds with them - for they will need me - but in reality - I am the one who needs them.
© Copyright 2006 snoopy (bjfpolarbear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1144392-My-Father---My-Life