*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244953-To-Ask-Why
Rated: 18+ · Documentary · Experience · #1244953
A true story - with a bit of prose thrown in for good measure...
To Ask Why



They were the unwanted children who grew up to be unwanted adults. They were the outcasts; the embryos that were not allowed to be aborted. The motherless children of a society with no compassion or love for anyone they considered less than themselves. Still claiming their God taught love as they hated anything that was different than they were.

They were jailed in rooms with 3 tier beds and 200 women in spaces that were built to house 50. Some slept on hard plastic boats along the filthy walls with numbers taped to a space above them, 187, 188, 189 and referred to as such when paged by the D.O.s of Maricopa County Estrella Jail, located on the south side of Phoenix.

Sheriff Joe Arapio ran his jails like a slave plantation with guards that were trained in the art of dehumanization, sleep and food deprivation, food poisoning, and breaking of the human spirit. He and his gestapo cronies operated above the law. But their specialty was cruelty and hopelessness.

His regime really got a kick out of punishing their prisoners for crimes they had not been convicted of or even seen a judge about, just accused. They were breeding entire generations of despair, sadness and uneducated madness like a worm in the bottom of a Meskale Tequila bottle.

The candy man was the laundry officer; panties, socks and bras on Monday & Wednesday, sheets and towels on Tuesday, stripes and blankets on Friday. They sang the panty-man song whenever he came around. He could not pin point just one of them so they got away with it. They exchanged what they had with something laundered, sometimes the clothes fit, most times they didn’t. Only if they heard him come, anywhere between 5 am and 7 am did the prisoners get the exchange. Otherwise they hand washed what they had and hopefully had a chance to hang it to dry before the D.O. on duty made them take it down. (It was not very often that their clothes got a chance to dry).

Recreation, by most prison standards was to be 1 hour a day. The prisoners were lucky to see the sun or outside once a week. Then they risked missing their medication being delivered by the not too friendly nursing staff or one of the two meals they were served a day. Either way there was a due to pay for recreation.

Church services were offered for most mono Judea/Christian God denominations as it was reinforcement of those with the power and their reasons for being in power. It was amazing how many found God while imprisoned just to have the luxury of getting out of their pod for an hour once a week.


To Ask Why


The hen house keckle
With Hyde & Jeckle.
All disguised in stripes
Of black and white.
In pink socks and ooze
With squeaky rubber shoes.
Incased in shackles
Around bruised ankles.
All colors and creed,
All need to see ...

The blue sky.

To ask why-
         To ask why-
                   To ask why-

It’s the hen house keckle
We laugh - we chuckle.
We be zebras of a different stripe
With or without the hype.
In madness and despair
Of purgatory - all beware.

Of the hen house keckle ...

To ask why-
         To ask why-
                   To ask why-

Mrs. Hawkins
She’s a real prize,
With a voice like a freight train
Sales two for one – that’s no lie.

Then there’s Elizebeth
That knows No words but,
Fuck, fucking and fuck.
Wish that light was a truck
To shut them both up.

Doing the hen house keckle ...

To ask why-
         To ask why-
                   To ask why-

Then there’s the rolled cig queen,
Her name being big Christine.
She sleeps all day,
Then sings hymns -say hey.
Hustles all night
Now that’s a fright.

To the hen house keckle ...

To ask why-
         To ask why-
                   To ask why-

The drama queen with a girl,
Margaret always talking in swirl,
Or whining
Really says nothing.

The hatred - The abuse –
The conflict lights the fuse.
The officers sit and grin
As they toss your pictures in
The trash then expect you to smile;
Through dry lips
And say “thank you”
We’re just a clod of dirt pile,
For you to step upon
Humming our song ...

Singing the hen house keckle ...

To ask why-
         To ask why-
                   To ask why-

In the hen house they keckle ...


********************************************************************

Word Count: 744

© Copyright 2007 DragonBlue (dragonblue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244953-To-Ask-Why