*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1256826-The-Door
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing.Com · #1256826
For May contest.
No one knows for sure what lived behind the door at the bottom of the tree. Everyone was curious, true, but no one chose to stick around long enough to find out. No one, that is, except me. And now I'm glad I did, for the things I saw behind that door were wonderous.

My name is William Ardous. My friends call me Billy. One day, while I was walking through the park, I spotted the curious little door at the bottom of the tree. I asked a passerby what was behind that door. He merely looked at me and smiled.

"No one knows," he said. "No one's ever looked to find out."

"Why not?" I asked, clearly even more curious than before.

"Well, it seems people just don't take any risks anymore. So when they see something out of the ordinary, they simply pass by it. Myself included."

After thanking the kind man, I walked over to the door. If anyone was taking risks to know what something was, it was me. I gave a small rap rap rap on the door, just enough to be heard to whatever occupants might be inside, and I waited. After a few seconds, I decided to leave.

As I turned to around, I heard a small "Who's there?"

I looked back at the door. There, standing in the doorway, was a squirrel. It looked up at me and smiled. Though a bit shocked to see a squirrel talking to me, I smiled back. He extended his hand to the inside, as if inviting me in.

"But I can't fit through that little door!" I exclaimed.

"Yes you can," he replied. "After all, things are not always as they seem."

I nodded my head and walked towards the door. The squirrel moved to the side so I could get in. I placed my foot at the door, and, the next thing I knew, I was standing inside a magnificent room. I stood there in awe at the beauty of it. It looked as though it were many stories high.

"I don't get many visitors. Please have a seat." I did so, sitting in an ornately carved sofa. He poured me a cup of tea and served me the most delicious sweets. After learning his name was Archibold, he and I had a marvelous conversation over our tea and sweets. As it got later, I realised it was time to head home.

"You'll stop by again? I enjoyed the company."

"I will. Leave me a seat."

"I will. Have a wonderful day."

I did visit him. Every day. We became fast friends for all the days of our lives.


446 characters long.
© Copyright 2007 Jason Simmons (whiteshadow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1256826-The-Door