*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1262676-From-the-Heart
Rated: E · Article · Writing · #1262676
Our words are our tool; they illuminate our dreams and give action and meaning...
The theory is that as long as your writing is grammatically correct and as long as your thoughts are clear you have mastered the art of writing. I disagree. Grammar is not why writers write and it is not why readers read. One can not write simply to put letters on paper. Our words are our tool; they illuminate our dreams and give action and meaning to the ideas we cultivate. True, without words this form of expression is impossible. But without meaning, our art is lost. As writers and readers, we do it for the human desire for pleasure. Writers find one form of pleasure in mastering the challenging demands of their art. If they succeed at this, then they gain a second form from seeing the pleasure their work gives to others. Whether it is a poem, a play, an essay or novel, writers must reach their audience, while keeping true to themselves. However, it’s become apparent that to some writers a positive review has over shadowed the art, and has resulted in a loss for the passion. I can think of only one simple solution, write from the heart.

Write from the heart. Yes its cliché, yet there seems to be no other way, if you want to truly master this art form. For starters, your words must be your own. There is no doubt that we gain inspiration for our works in many forms. Often it seems that my own thoughts are merely an extension of someone else’s. However, relying solely on the ideas of others is selling your self short.

Your words could be the next “to be or not to be”. You may be quoted for years to come. They may give someone hope and inspiration or insight to the answers they’ve been searching for. They could start riots. They could make someone cry. This is a great delight that writers gain when they harness the art of translating their thoughts to words that impact the reader. Now I’m not saying that all your works will be emotionally or mentally provoking. There may be times when the meaning goes unnoticed. But you can be assured that you will be more respected as a writer if you “own” your own ideas. Stop hiding behind other people’s words. That’s them, not you. When a reader chooses to spend time with you, they assume that is you they are with for those moments. Using someone else’s words is not the only way to sabotage your art form. Choosing to write without a sense of purpose is also sad. What I mean by this is they are your own words but they mean very little to you.

As writers, I feel that we should take pride in what we say. There will be many moments when your work is not as successful as you would have hoped. Times like these, more than ever, are when you need to believe in your product. If the writer does not believe in his or her own work, if the words can not "reach" the creator, then how dare the writer expect the reader to be enchanted? On the other hand, you may be lucky enough to have all your words read with feeling but what good is it if you feel nothing.

I am not saying to throw out the rule book, after all Picasso-style writing is not effective. You can not spew words out and pray that by some form of magic they are coherent. Technique should be mastered its part of the art of writing but it should not be the sole purpose of writing. A combination of technique and passion is needed in order to sustain the enthusiasm to produce more pieces. Having only one is the surest way to give up.

   

Writing is essential to life. Not just for those who practice it is as an art. No matter what your reasons are for writing, your words should come from the heart. With out that there is nothing.

   

© Copyright 2007 Adelaide (adelaide at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1262676-From-the-Heart