*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1270013-Dramedy-OVERLOAD-Chapters-1-2--3
Rated: 13+ · Serial · Melodrama · #1270013
All 3 fun chapters! HS, cliques, Relationship's, Peer pressure!! A fun read, fast paced!
          Outside the town church Pam hid in the bushes, wearing the most expensive Vera Wang dress she could convince her soon to be husband to buy for her. She knew standing in these bushes she was probably ruining her Prada heels and messing up her diamond necklace that was stuck on a bush, and her hair that took over three hours just to style, but she didn't care. She knew that she was supposed to be inside the church over fifteen minutes ago. She was just hoping that  after everything was over, that everyone else in her life would forgive her. That no one  would care that she married a looser, that they might actually believe her that she married him for the right reasons.
            Part of her realized that going threw with this wedding would mean a lifetime of pain and misery (thought she wouldn't ever admit it), and going through  with this, would she really be having the fun she always wanted? Did she really want to be "Mrs. Florence Shoe"? She actually laughed when she heard that in her head,    "people are going to think I married girl! I never met a guy named Florence until I met Flo! It's not even a young girls name, it's an old lady's name!" She began to cry, and she hadn't any idea why, except for the little voice in the back of her mind telling her that she made the wrong decision, and she was going to end up hurt and alone.
            She realized that Flo had alterior motives as well, he felt as if he had to  prove something, that that if he married a nice girl like Pam it would prove to the world he wasn't a complete screw up. Pam even wondered if she loved him  anymore, or if she just loved the stuff he bought her that kept her around. She wasn't  completely sure; she just hopped that some of friends would even show up to this wedding. She had burned so many bridges in the past, she wasn't sure if any were  left standing. She thought to herself, if Darren shows up then I'll go through with this, if I can have his support that’s all I need.

                        *  *  *  * **three years earlier** *  *  *    *
          "Darren!" Pam called from the long halls of her High School, she waved and ran over to him grinning, "Guess what?" she cooed. Darren looked at her placidly,
          "Hm? Flo said you could talk to me today?" He gave her a dirty look, just yesterday she had blown him off to hang out with Flo and his group.
          "Damnit Darren! Get over it! I already told your machine I was sorry, if you had answered then maybe you would have known this!"
          "No, I got the message...Pam, you can’t keep doing this to me! You blow me off; you push away all my friends! I get stuck at home with my crazy family. You know how retarded it was for me to be sitting in the living room waiting for you, my best friend, only to find out you were off getting high or drunk or who knows what with Flo and his group?!"
          Pam shot him a glair, "You have no idea what I was doing!"
        "And I don't want to know" interrupted Darren, "I really don't care what your excuse is this time. Just give me some space and leave me alone, you had no problem leaving me alone last night! So leave me alone now!" With that, Darren stormed off down the halls heading to chem. class.
          This was Pam's and Darren's last year of school, after that they were planning on attending college together. Eighteen years of being best friends. Their parents were friends when they were pregnant, and when their mom's were about to pop out the babies, they jumped on a maternity ship, and gave birth on the open sea. Darren was one of four babies, a miracle sense before this, the mother was sterile. Darren was the only one of the group of babies that Pam bonded with. They were born only five day's apart. They grew together, they both were sort of screwed up in their own individual ways, and even though they were, they both were still the most normal person in their families, which is probably what made them so close.
        Pam then headed to the auditorium early to get ready for the graduation assembly. In the locker room she began changed into her cheerleading uniform, "how could Darren say that? What the hell is his problem?" she though to herself. If it wasn't bad enough not hearing her out, he then had to lay accusations on her that just because she was hanging out with Flo again, meant that she must have been doing something illegal or wrong. She had made mistakes in the past, but this time it was totally different! How could he call himself so self ridiculous! Pam felt that, Darren would have done the same thing if he were in her shoes, but sense Darren was never accepted by Flo or his group, he was never invited to parties, and never had the opportunity to get into trouble.
        Just then she heard someone coming, knowing she was supposed to be in class, she ducked into one of the bathroom stalls and climbed on the toilet so they couldn't see her.
        "Jenna, know what I heard? That lip-gloss on problem areas can reduce the appearance of cellulite." Pam looked through a crack in the stall and realized it was just one of her team mates on the cheer squad and some friend of the girl on the cheer squad that Pam didn't know.
        "Staci, I highly doubt it, and besides that's gross and I don’t have cellulite!" said the Jenna girl.
        "We should give it to Pam, ha ha, that would be so funny. We could be like, oh my god; I heard you were having problems, rub this on your ass! She probably would too!"
        "Wouldn't matter, she doesn't have cellulite either, she looks like a crack head! Flo's Crack whore! Why hasn't she been kicked off the team yet?"
        "Don't know, why hasn't she been expelled yet? Why hasn't she been locked away in prison yet? It's one of those questions that no one really knows the answer to!"
        Pam felt her face getting red. That two face bitch! What the hell? Was this attack Pam day? Just then she felt a bit dizzy, trying to keep from falling she adjusted her foot, but it was too late, swoop! She fell out of the stall and on the floor right in front of the two gossiping girls.
        "Oh my god, Pam what are you doing here?" said a surprised Staci, "That must have hurt, want me to help you?"
        "No thanks." Pam glared.
        "You heard that whole thing Hun? You were spying on us? Guess that shows you shouldn't skip class to go and hang out on the toilet." Staci smirked.
Jenna grabbed her stuff, not really wanting a confrontation, "Staci I got to go, I'll call you later!" Jenna left, and headed out to the assembly in the gym, the bell was going to ring for it in eight minutes.
        "If you want more respect Pam Cakes, try being a little less cheeky, you shouldn't be on this team, for some reason the cheer coach thinks your okay. I just don't get it, Cheerleaders are supposed to be beautiful, smart, sexy, but not trampy, dumb, and criminals?" smiled Jenna.
        "Oh, really?" Mocked Pam, "Then why the hell are you on the team? You've been to just as many parties as I have? You've done a lot worse thing than me! I've seen you there!"
      "Yeah, but I'm not dating the ring leader. There is so much more to him than even you or I could ever know. I actually feel sorry for you, because when it's all over, and your a pregnant, dumb slut, he will leave you alone, and you will sit there and go, "Damnit, I'm screwed aren’t I?"
      "You don't know anything about Flo! No one does!" screamed Pam. "How do you get off being so cruel to people! I never did anything to you!" tears were streaming down her face, and Staci just snickered.
        Just then the intercom went off, "Attention all band, Flag team and cheerleaders, please head to the auditorium to get ready for the assembly, all band, flag team and cheerleaders head to the auditorium for the assembly, thank you."
        "Well, I'm ready to go out there and perform my popular ass off, so I'll see you out there, hm!" Staci flipped around and trotted out grinning ear to ear.
        Pretty soon the locker room filled with girls, and feeling crowded, Pam headed out to the hallway to get some air.
        Meanwhile, back in class, after hearing the intercom Darren grabbed his obo and got up to head to the auditorium. He was tiered of Pam's stupid excuses, but he wasn't really as mad as he put on earlier, he mostly wanted to prove a point, and hopefully next time they have plans, she wouldn't ditch them to do something else. His mind drifted away from those thoughts immediately when he looked up and realized that right in front of him was the girl of his dreams, Samantha. Being wishy washy, he had his whole life planed out with her years ago, he would marry her, give her five to eight children and she would take care of him as he pursued his career as a rock star. He ran up to her, "Hey, Sammy, mind if I carry your flute?", she looked at him blankly,
        "I don't mind, just give it back." She teased.
      "Well, I don't have any reasons to steal it! Don't worry Sammy, I'm not a thief, if I was though, I wouldn't steal from you, you're too nice of a person, and I wouldn't steal a flute, I like flutes though, I just know how to play them, but I'm not a thief.."
      "I know you’re not a thief Darren, I was kidding, if I thought you were a thief I would not have let you carry my flute." She looked at him, he shrank, he was an idiot, why would he say something like that? He felt small. 'No wonder I have no friends!' he thought, 'maybe Pam's right, she didn't push away my friends, I did?'
      "Come-on Darren, keep up! If you don't, I'll have to carry both you and the flute." He picked up the pace and followed her, He loved her dark brown hair, he loved her outfits, he loved everything about her, they had been going to school together sense the second grade and sense the second grade, he always secretly loved her, (and unknowingly to Darren, Sammy secretly knew he loved her as well).
        When they got into the auditorium, Darren followed the band up the stairs and headed into a lookout above the basketball court, he sat next to his brother Stephan. The cheerleaders were beginning to assemble, Darren whispered to Stephan, "Hey, where is Pamy? I don't see her?" Knowing Pam was usually one of the first cheerleaders out on the court.
      Stephan looked, "I don't thee her?" He said in his Stephan way. He had a small lisp due to hearing problems early in life, and because of this he seemed innocent and approachable, "Thath thort of thrange? Oh darn it! Thee's hot in that outfit too!"
      "Shut up Steph, she'll never be interested! Where could she be?" Darren said again, worried that what he said earlier might have made her upset, and now she wouldn't even be able to cheer, or stunt or dance or whatever she did out there. "Shit Steph, hold my spot and watch my obo, I'm gunna try to find her."
      "Uh huh, I will" said Stephan as Darren ran off.
      When Darren got into the hall he finally found Pam, Flo was sitting on his knees in front of her talking to and trying to comfort her. Pam's face was beat red, it was obvious she had been crying. Darren hesitated at first to approach her, he was worried that Flo would be pissed at him for making her cry, and do something rash like injure him or something along those lines, Darren knew he didn't stand a chance against Flo. He only tried to fight him once, and that was in the eighth grade, and he lost- never again would he try to fight Flo, or anybody. Eventually he pulled himself together and walked over to Pam and Flo.
      Flo was talking to her, "Babe it's, ok, just go out there and do what you got to do, don't listen to that Bitch, I wont invite her to any more parties and neither will Jon! I only invited her before because I thought you two were friends, I am so sorry this happened to you. I'll find a way to humiliate her!"
      "Don't do that! It will only make it worse! You have to stop doing stupid things Flo! That's why within a year's time I have become the laughing stock of the school!
They think you're playing me!"
      "You know that's not true, and that’s all that matters, what you know and believe. Don't listen to people, people are stupid. We dated a long time before anyone found out, and back then we were fine.."
      "Excuse me" Interrupted Darren. Both Flo and Pam looked at him, Darren paused to see if he should run from Flo or not. Flo just looked at him, his face didn't show anger, "Do you want to talk to Pam? She could use your support, she had a hard day, one of the girls on her squad verbally attacked her. It was that crazy bitch Staci! Pam Babe, don't worry about her anyways, her mom's on med's and Staci's brain is probably just as screwed as her mom's!"
          Flo walked by Darren and looked at him, "Hey Darren, sorry 'bout taking your girl yesterday, don't get pissed, if you let her explain you'll understand. She wasn't partying or anything. She really needs your friendship right now, your better with emotions than I am." Flo walked off.
      "Hey Pam, I'm so sorry about earlier. My comment probably didn't help you with the Staci situation, I am so incredibly sorry. This might not be the best time, but I am kind of curious, why did you not show up yesterday?"
      Pam whipped her face, "It was going to be a surprise, you know how Flo has lots of money and connections?" Darren nodded, "Well, I used his connections and resources to get in touch with a few major labels. Right before I left to go get you they called Flo, then Flo called me and we rushed to go meet with them. I should have called, but I was so excited it slipped my mind. Anyways, I played them your demo track and they seemed to have interest, but they would have liked to meet you, but they weren't sure if it was a waste of their time or not if they did. Well, Flo gave them a deal that if they would be willing to meet with you in a few weeks, he would pay them for their time, and they agreed. And tonight I was planning this as a surprise."
      "Oh my god, I am so sorry I yelled at you! When and Where?"
      "It's going to be at the Blue Diamond Inn." Pam said, looking a little bit happier.
      "Oh my god, that place is ritzy! How did you get a place there?"
      "Flo booked it. He's awesome, isn't he? He did this for me. For you and me, it's sort of a graduation gift to you for putting up with him all these years." Pam smiled.
      "Where does he get all this money from?" He looked at Pam. Pam looked at the clock.
      "Never mind that, just accept the gift graciously, and thank him, I better get out there, I can tell they are about to start the routine, and the band is probably all ready for you as well."
      She headed out to the center of the floor, over the years Pam had eventually some how (amidst the chaos of her squad) become the cheer captain. She wasn't completely terrible though, she was passing all of her classes, and she skipped class a lot less that freshman year. She was just glad the coach chose the captain and not the girls. If it had been the girls who had control, she knew she would have been crucified years ago.
      Pam didn't feel she was that bad of a person and for most of her HS years had convinced herself that everyone secretly wanted to be her, it wasn't until the last six months that she realized she had it all wrong. Flo had made her into a joke, not intentionally, but she was sort of the used-to-be-prep made guilty by association (and location). That's not saying she was completely innocent, but most students made her out to be this terrible person: mean, vindictive, jealous, angry, liar, junkie, slut, stupid, crazy emotional bitch. And like mentioned before, she wasn't completely innocent, she was kind of and emotional bitch at times, but not intentionally. She may have kissed a lot of guys like Flo or friends of Flo, but she never slept with them. She may have partied too long tried too many things that got her into trouble, but she wasn't a junkie, she wasn't addicted to drugs or alcohol, what she was addicted to was Flo, and thinking she could some how make him into a decent person..
      Every time she would get close to him he would use her or cheat on her. He did love her, the best way he could, but love wasn't the easiest thing for Flo either. Flo was put into foster care at a young age, he never even knew his real parents. He was bounced back and forth, house to house until he finally ended up in East-west town. This was at the age when Darren and Pam were about to begin their JR high years. Pam was immediately smitten for the "poor abused Flo", and she thought to herself that she would always take care of him. Though, it was hard to understand, Darren couldn't, he didn't care that Flo was abused, that Flo never knew his parents. To Darren, Flo was a mistake of nature that aught to not be messed with.
The sad part of it though was Darren’s growing distrust for Pam. She would say one thing and do another (which was her own fault). It got to the point though that Darren made up his mind about her, that, "she's a liar, she loves Flo and there is nothing that I can do about it".
      When the music started she danced around as usual, trying to look up into the middle row to see if Flo was watching. She couldn't tell, she knew though, that he always liked to watch the stunts, she was a flier, which made it even more entertaining for Flo. She was going to do a twist up retake and then basket toss.
      They had practiced this for several weeks and had perfected it, "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and", she twisted up perfectly, and then back down, turned to the side, "and 7 and 8 and", perfect re-take, she could tell Flo was watching, "3 and 4 and" and then for the basket toss, her favorite because she loved to be tossed. She stepped up into the air, she had enough momentum for a toe touch, and she hit it. She began to come down, and for a split second she saw a grin in Staci's face, their eyes met,      Stacie was one of Pam's sides, and then SMACK! Down on her back! Pam was out for about a minute, when she came to, her coach was staring at her, on her cell phone calling an ambulance, Darren had ran down from the Band section and was holding her hand, and Flo was down in the corner yelling at Staci.
      "Pam, don't worry, everyone will get what they deserve, we'll talk to your coach, you know it was on purpose." said Darren trying to reassure her. Then she went out again.
      "Is someone coming?" Screamed a frightened Darren. Students were trying to get out of the auditorium as fast as possible, creating an over crowded environment.
    "Is someone going to help her?!" Yelled Darren over the noise. He then began to cry.
      "Shut up Darren!" Yelled Flo, "You’re not making things any better! Stop crying!" Darren began crying at full force, tears streaming, "Darren, stop it!" Flo then hit Darren trying to get him to sop crying, this only made Darren cry even more, and even louder.
      "Flo, why are you hitting me? Stop hitting me!" Wailed a scared, confused and emotional Darren, "She's my best friend, maybe you aren't crying because you don't have a soul, Flo! You're evil and don't care like I do!"
      "I'm not evil you idiot! Just shut up! Stop being such a baby! This is why you have no friends! No one wants to around a gay emotional baby!" Hissed Flo.
      "Stop it! I'm not gay! And I'm not emotional! Why are you picking on me?" Screamed Darren, "I just care about Pam!"
      "So do I! And crying doesn't help anything! Has anyone called 911?" said Flo, and just then an ambulance drove up with a stretcher.
      "Is he in injured one?" they asked pointing to a crying Darren, "He looks like he's in a lot of pain?"
      "No, the girl on the ground is who you need to help. He cries like this often, so don't mind him." Said the coach. With that, they picked Pam up, put her in a stretcher and carried her away. Darren looked on helpless.
      In class, Darren sat alone, feeling depressed, he had let Pam down, he should have protected her. But what would he have done? If he tried to do anything, everyone would have laughed at him, and Pam would become even more embarrassed. The depression went away instantly when he saw Sammy again with her dark dark brown hair, and her awesome thick rimmed black glasses, that were a combo of emo/punk/glam and all the above, she had good taste! She sat down by him. He began to shake, then, he couldn't breath! Crap, his asthma! He quickly pulled out his inhaler and began to try to breath. Sammy looked at him, "Am I really that hot?"
      "Huh?"  Squeaked Darren as he looked at her.
      "Well, as soon as I sat down you looked like you were going to pass out, and then you needed your inhaler, I figured either I was really hot, or you are scared of me?"
      "No, ha, not scared! It's not that you’re hot!" blurted out Darren.
      "So, I'm not hot Darren? Are you saying I'm ugly?"
      "No, crap, of course not!" He said shuddering.
      "So let me get this straight, your saying that I look like crap?" She glared at him, his face went as pale as a ghost, she then smiled,  "C'mon Darren, I'm only just playing. Why do you always take me so seriously? I talked you into a hole!" she giggled, he took another breath off his inhaler.
      "Yeah, I guess you did, heh." Darren smiled, wide eyed.
      "Darren, you can be kind of creepy at times, you know that?" said his crush.
      "I'm sorry; I'll try harder not to be." said Darren in his sad voice.
      "No it's okay, it's kind of funny!" said a quieting Sammy as she turned to watch the instructor.
      Pam was quickly rushed to the hospital, which was luckily less then five miles from the school. Her head spun as she drifted in and out of consciousness, and finally everything when black. Eventually, after what seemed like only seconds, Pam began to come to, and awoke in the cold bed near the window.
      "Pam, wake up.." Pam opened her eyes to see Darren standing above her hospital bed, "Pam, how you feeling?"
      Pam blinked her eye's, squinting because of the light shining on her face from the open window. She felt a bit nauseated, "Okay-I guess? What happened? The last thing I remember was I was walking into the auditorium to perform, and then..what happened, did I do my routine?" She looked around confused, trying to focus her eyes and figure out why she was in a hospital bed.
      "You don't remember? It's probably best that way, Staci didn't catch you when you were coming down from being thrown. I heard from Stephan who heard from Flo who said he heard from the cheer-coach, that If they can prove she did it on purpose then she will be kicked out of the team and her ASU scholarship will be null and void!"
      "Well, good luck proving that, every day there is a cheerleader who falls and hits their head, it will be impossible to tell if it were purposeful or not." Pam looked at Darren and smiled, "I'm glad you're here. Where’s Flo?"
      "I don't know? Do I look like his keeper?" Snapped Darren bitterly, then realized that this might not be the time to be vendictful towards her looser boyfriend- after all, Flo did set up that date with the producers for him. "Actually I think he might be coming later, he said something about finishing some business he had started or something."
      "Okay Darren." Pam smiled, "I feel pretty nauseated, and my head hurts. Will I be let out soon? I need to practice for my senior speech. I can't possibly be hurt that bad?"
      "I thought I heard someone say concussion, but I can't know for sure, let me see if I can find a doctor for you." Darren got up and looked out the door, eventually a nurse noticed him and entered the room.
      "You will be just fine, we believe it's a concussion that should heal on its own, just to be sure we're going to run a few tests at around five pm. After that you most likely we be allowed to go home. Do you have someone to watch you at home, like a parent?" The nurse looked at Pam, who paused and then answered.
      "I can find someone."
      "Good!" said the nurse, and she walked out.
      Pam's parents divorced when Pam was only six months old, and it was probably for the best because before the divorce her parents would fight back and forth from sunrise and sunset, breaking lamps and punching wall's (though they never actually hurt each other). For a short time, right after the divorce she would go back and forth, living part time at each house, though mostly at her mom's.
      Then during her fifth year of her early life, without warning, her father moved out of town and decided to travel the world in a cheep used RV that smelled of cigarettes, beer and cheep wine that he had bought at an auction. With his trashy RV he planned to roam the country and live the life of a nomad. This was the last time she saw her father, and because he was always traveling, he lost all contact with Pam and left Pam's poor mother to support her daughter all by herself.
      From that moment Pam's mother knew she wanted to give Pam the life she deserved and needed. She didn't want to be another single mom with two job's and a child at home feeling less that all the other children at school. She wanted Pam to have everything any other child would have, and more. An admitted workaholic, Pam's mother would spend eighteen hours a day, perfecting whatever skill she was perfecting at the time. Completing college, and eventually becoming a part of a large law firm based off the shore of Hawaii. By the time Pam had turned twelve, Pam only saw her mother on the weekends, then by the age of fourteen she saw her mother about once a month. The money was excellent, and Pam could have everything she could have ever wanted in the whole world and more- except for one thing, the one thing she really yearned for, a family. This was around the time Flo started hanging around. Being a foster child his whole life he needed a family as well, so it was a quick bond between the two young adolescents.
      What finally gave was when Pam's mother took a position that required her to live overseas; Pam's mom bought a beach house and moved out, believing it was for the best. She knew that her Pam didn't want to move, and she also knew that this position was what was best for the family. She left Pam at home alone, Pam would receive a check in the mail on a weekly basis and all utilities and bills for Pam's home were forwarded to Hawaii. Pam's mom believed this is what Pam wanted, and that she had given Pam the life she deserved. But Pam, she was all alone, and now she didn't have a father or a mother.
      "Pam, can I ask you a question?" said Darren nervacly.
      "Sure Dar, what's up?" said a groggy Pam.
      "I was wondering on how to ask this girl to prom? I was thinking that you could maybe help me?" Darren looked at Pam waiting for advice.
      "Darren!" Pam began laughing, her face reddened, "Why would you want take a girl to prom? You're silly! You’ve never even had a girlfriend, why would you want to start out with prom? That's a girls most fantastic night, she wouldn't want to go with you, she would want to go with an experienced dater! How about you come with Flo and I, you don't need some girl to keep you company!" Pam smiled; Darren sank, he was afraid that was the answer he was going to get.
      "You know, it doesn't matter, I don't want to go with you and Flo, I wanted to have a date, I don't want to be the third wheel! I don't even like Flo! Why would you think that would be a good idea? Why are you always trying to hold me back?!" Darren shot Pam an angry glare.
      "Darren, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that.." stammered Pam as Darren stormed off and walked out of the hospital room. He couldn't believe she just said that! But why should he be surprised? She had always controlled him.
It started back in grade school, if he made a new friend, Pam would find a way to destroy it. If Pam found out he liked a girl, she would find a way to make sure the girl didn't return the affection. If Darren had some how done something that gave him more attention than Pam had, Pam would copy Darren and grab that attention back, except she would do whatever he did one hundred times better. She was always in competition with him, whether it was with making friends, having dates, or becoming someone.
      She also competed with everybody else, she wanted to be Darren's one and only friend. After years and years of Darren being on the receiving end of a toxic friendship, she eventually got what she had wanted, Darren eventually became referred to as: "that scary kid from first block", that "weird kid at the back of the class who wears a cape and hisses at popular kids", that "freak who pretends he's a vampire dresses in all black and stocks random students". Most of the damage he did to his image was done in junior high. And even though he didn't wear a cape anymore, he now baths, and dresses in other colors besides black, the damage was already done, and was irreversible.
      Darren finally arrived home and stomped up to his room, pushing Stephen out of the way in the process. Once up in his room, he tightly locked the door, closed the windows and cranked his stereo full volume. Why would she do this to him? Again and again! Why couldn't he have one normal conversation with her, and not feel like he should always be on the defense? Why couldn't she just say, "maybe a girl will like you" or "go for it Darren! You are cute!" and blah blah blah!
      BANG! BANG! BANG! His mother slammed her fists on his locked door. "Darren, what’s wrong?!" yelled him mom outside his door BANG! BANG! BANG!, "Darren, let me in I can help!" BANG! BANG!
      "No mom! Go away! I want to be alone!" Yelled Darren, "I don't want you help! I don't want any body's help!" Darren began to cry in his pillow.
      "Let me in now! Or I swear I will break down the door! I don't want to see you like this!" Yelled his mom as he heard his door shake some more.
      "If you don't want to see me like this then go away! Why do you insist on ruining my life! I hate you! Go away!" Darren fell on his bed and buried his face in his pillow, covering his ears to try to drown out the noise of the stereo and his mom and his banging door. He wished he hadn't attempted suicide back at the beginning of his freshman year of High School. After that dark night spent in the hospital pumping his stomach, his mother never wanted to leave him alone again.
      "Let me in Darren or I swear I'll call 911!" Yelled his mom again, "I don't want a dead child!"
      Angry, Darren got up off his bed and unlocked the door, "There, are you happy?! You want to look at me and see my pain? Fine! Look, here I am! Look at my pain!!"
      His mom turned around and began to walk downstairs, "Oh, so dramatic! Just remember to keep your door open when you are freaking out! I know you'll tell me your problems when your ready."
    "Like hell I will!" screamed Darren, he never told her anything, and never wanted to. She was too dense to ever understand. His mom actually thought that him and Pam were a "thing", even though they never even liked each other in that way! Also, she was so clueless about what was really going on around her that she didn't even realized that Stephan, her other son, heavenly used drugs. His other brother Stev had weight problems not from over eating, but because of unresolved emotional trauma! (At least that’s what Stev told everybody). The only child in the family that didn't have secrets was Natalie, but why would she? Straight A popular, innocent Natalie! Never could do any wrong! He resented her. He wasn't about to tell his mother or father anything, they just wouldn't understand.
      He went back on his bed to mope. He did plan on inviting Sammy to Prom; he just didn't know how to ask her without looking like a com pleat idiot. Sammy was the only girl he knew besides Pam who actually gave a crap about him. Darren was clueless when it came to girls, probably the only senior boy that had never even been out on a date, not even one, not even a group date! He did think about asking Flo for advice. Darren hated Flo, but he did have to admit that even though Flo could be a jerk, he was good at attracting girls. Also, he and Flo had been getting along better for at least a month or two with out incident.
      Eventually he worked up the courage to go across the street and see what Flo thought about the situation. He braced for the worst though, not knowing how Flo would react when he told him he wanted to find a date for prom. He went down stairs and out the door; he could tell his mother was relieved that Darren wasn't pouting anymore.
      Flo's home at the moment was a piece of trash, as soon as Flo turned eighteen he moved out of his last foster home and bought his own place. At first it was a nice cute little suburban house on the corner of two little roads across from Darren's. But after six months of working it in, the place had become a bit of a dump on the outside; the lawn was dead, odd weeds growing everywhere, and random cardboard boxes in the yard from who knows what.
      Inside though was another story, it had expensive tacky furniture, leopard print, and neon and velvet seats. It looked like a 70's porn flick, or as Flo referred to it as his "pimp pad". Flo loved it, and of course, that was all that mattered.
      Even thought the "pimp pad", Flo wasn't want to be "gangster-like", and he had good taste in clothing. Flo dressed in mostly black, usually long sleeve black designer dress shirts, and expensive slacks and shoes. He wore top of the line watches, and he usually wore a thick gold 18 kt gold ring. His nails were painted black, never chipped, and done so nicely that you could tell he probably paid someone to paint them for him. His hair was medium long, died jet black, and he often tried to spike it, but it usually just ended up all over the place because it was too heavy. Pale skin dark eye's professionally whitened teeth, sometimes had some eyeliner around his eyes, but not always, he usually let Pam put it on him if he could find her before class.
      Darren was actually extremely afraid of Flo. He wasn't scared of him because he was strong and he worked out, or that Flo knew people that would be willing to hurt Darren badly if he willed it to be done. Or that Flo abused drugs and would sometimes blank out day's at a time. Or even that Flo was some how receiving great sums of money, and that with using the money, he could completely derail Darren's life. That was all frightening, but that wasn't what scared Darren the most.
      What scared Darren about Flo was that Flo was destructively intelligent. He was intelligent to a fault, and even with many brain cells being destroyed over the years of drinking and drug use, he could still think circles around Darren. Flo was calculating, and manipulative, and with a few words, he could some how seem to get everything that he wanted. He knew that if Flo lied, you wouldn't see it.
      Flo opened the door half asleep to see Darren standing there, "What the hell do you want?" asked an annoyed Flo, pissed to see that Darren was the one he bothered opening the door for.
      "Well, I was thinking of going to prom, and I was wondering.."
      "Don't swing that way!" blurted an irritated Flo, and proceeded to try and slam the door on him, knowing that Darren wasn't really gay, but it was an excuse to ignore him.
      "Wait!" Chirped Darren, as he stuck his foot and arm in the door blocking it from closing all the way, and pushed in a little bit, "I need girl advice, you know more about girls than I do!"
      Flo calmed down for a second and looked at him thoughtfully and then sighed, "Girl advice? So you are into girls? I guess I can help you, come in." An unenthusiastic Flo lead Darren into his "pimp pad" and motioned him to sit, Darren took a seat on a tiny ottoman, the only piece of furniture in the room that didn't look like it was out of a dirty flick. He glanced down at floor, which was purple shag carpet, he could tell it wasn't laid down by a professional, it was kind of lumpy, and he guessed that Flo probably laid it down himself. Flo went into the kitchen to grab an energy drink, "You want anything Darren? I've got Pepsi? Redbull? Vodka?" Flo looked around the corner at Darren who was still eying the lumpy shag carpet.
      "No thank you. So you a fan of Austin Powers?" asked Darren.
      "Huh? Never saw it, why?" asked Flo as he came back into the room with a redbull for himself.
      "No reason, your carpet just reminded me of the 70's" Darren kicked it.
      Flo looked at his floor, "Really? Why? Never mind, so what's this "girl problem" your having?"
      "I can't get a girl, that's the problem. I want this girl as a date for prom." pouted Darren.
        "Hmm, I see. First off, stop pouting, stop whining, and stop acting like an immature looser. Girls like sensitive guys, but not guys that are more emotional than they are! Sometimes it's hot to just not give a crap."
      Darren then pulled out is blackberry, and began taking notes. Flo rolled his eye's, then laid back in one of his velvet chairs and began picking his nails not even really acknoldging Darren's existence.
      "Also, you need to be 'sexy’. It sounds odd for a guy to be or wanna be sexy, but it's more of a state of mind..kinda like, I know you want me, everybody wants me!" He continued to ramble on like this for about a minute or two until Darren finally interrupted.
      "Be sexy, got it.." repeated Darren impatiently. Flo shot Darren an annoyed glare, slightly insulted, but then continued on.
      "Okay, and you have to be in control, not controlling, but in control. Girls like it when a guy knows what they want and aren't indecisive, don't be afraid to say, "I like that prom dress better than that one" -(oh, be sure they think they looked great in both, even if they don't)."
      "Be in control, I can do that."
      "Now to ask her out, do something cute, like ask her in a creative way, you can figure that one out, your creative enough. If you can't think of anything creative, buy her something expensive and that should do the trick just as good. I think that's about it, any other questions? Make it quick I got somewhere to go."
      "Nope, I think I got it. Great advice.." Darren said as he put his Blackberry away.
      Flo sat up, and looked at Darren "I don't know about great advice, but it worked for me. Let me know if it works for you.. Oh, by the way, this conversation never happened. If Jon knew I resorted to giving love advice in my free time to you, I wouldn't hear the end of it.."
      "Sure no big deal..Oh yeah, I told Pam you were going to visit her at the hospital! You'll want to stop by there later." With that Darren bolted out of the pimp pad to go clean up and get ready to ask out the girl of his dreams.
     
      Pam sat in the hospital room waiting for Flo to come pick her up. She had suffered a mild concussion, but it wasn't anything to worry about. The doctors did want someone to watch after her though, so she was going to have to stay with Flo.    She didn't mind though, he was her boyfriend after all, and she loved him.
      Flo came into Pam's room and crouched by her hospital bed. "Hey babe, how are you!" He smiled and held her hand, "I love you so much, and I can't believe that bitch dropped you! I am gunna take you home and make you feel so much better!" He said as he tried to crawl into her bed, Pam giggled. Just then Pam's doctor came in.
      "You must be Flo. Pam has been asking for you all day. She is ready to go home, you just need to be sure she checks out at the front desk."
      Flo smiled, "Thanks for taking care of her, I owe it to you, I don’t know what I would have done if she were stuck here much longer, I've been going crazy without her bouncing around like usual." Flo then scooped Pam into his arms and carried the giggling girl about halfway down the hall before he decided to let her walk again.    "Hey Pamy, I love you so much, how about we do a little celebrating at my home tonight..You know?"
      Pam looked at him a bit concerned, "What do you have in mind perv?" She asked him, not knowing what he ment by "celebrate".
      "Nothing like your thinking, who’s the perv now?!" he laughed for a second, and then continued on, "Anyways Pam, I know you've been trying to cut back and all, but it might make you feel better, I just thought we could get stoned or something."
      Pam stopped walking and gave Flo a dirty look, "You know I have been trying to stay out of trouble. One slip up and I could be kicked out of cheerleading, or worse, loose my scholarship. Why would you even ask me that? You know that's the last thing I need."
      "My god Pam your not a saint, I just thought it was a normal question to ask you. Staci is the one who is gunna get in trouble anyways, your off the hook! You have get intoxicated free pass right now and you should take this opportunity to use it. All the heats on Staci right now, not you."
      "What is everyone's problem? Why does everyone think that Staci is going to be booted? How are they gunna prove that she dropped me on purpose?" Pam looked around flustered and Flo went over to hug her.
      "Babe, stop fighting it. Things are actually going right for you for once. Just go with the flow. Nothing will happen to you, I swear, just loosen up, don't become one of those people I hate." Flo hugged on to her, "Just come back to my house, we'll have a little fun, no one will know, they never do anyways..It will help you relax, you had a tough day and they should have you on meds anyways with everything you've been through."
      Flo wrapped his arm's around his Pam and they left together. Maybe Flo was right, she did have a hard day. Pam hated it that Flo could some how seem so persuasive. She hated that she hung on every word he muttered, and did everything he said. Whether it was who to talk to, what to wear, or when or when-not to stay out of trouble, Flo always seemed to have an answer for her.
      She reluctantly went to his place to hang out, and awoke the next day on one of his couches. Waking up she read the clock it said 8:49, "Shit!" She blurted out, as she tried to straighten out her wrinkled clothes, class started at nine. "Flo wake up! We need to get to class, pronto!" Flo rolled over, he was on a different couch, they both fell asleep watching a collection of b movie horror flicks from the 80's.
      Flo and Pam stumbled into the school hall, the bell was about to ring, but they some how managed to make it into class on time. When Pam got into class she took a seat next to Darren, and attentively watched the teacher as she began handing out study guides for the upcoming test.
      "Are you alright?" Whispered a concerned Darren, Pam looked as if she had just rolled out of bed.
      "Yeah, I'm fine, just tired. Had trouble sleeping because I was concerned with what would happen to Staci today" Sighed Pam, she yawned.
      Darren looked at her, "You were up all night with Flo again weren't you?" Pam looked at him, how did he know?
        She didn't concern herself with how he knew, and set her head on her desk to catch up on rest, at that moment a voice spoke over the loudspeaker.
      "Mrs. Frank?"
      "Yes, this is her" replied the teacher through the microphone implanted in the wall
      "Please send Pam down to the principles office." replied the loudspeaker.
      "I’m sending her now." she answered. Then she looked at Pam, "If you would like you can leave your stuff here, or take it either way. They sounded like it was urgent so you better head down there."
      Pam stood up and walked out the classroom door leaving her stuff, not knowing why she had been called and figured it was to confirm that yesterday, Staci had most likely dropped her on purpose.
      She entered the office and took a seat across from the receptionist, the receptionist looked busy and Pam didn't feel like bothering her. After a minute or so, the principle and her cheer coach came out of a small room, "Hi Pam, can we talk with you." Pam followed then into the room and became a bit concerned, their voices didn't sound as pleasant as she thought they would. She took a seat and then looked at them blankly, what did they want?
      "Hi Pam." Said the principle, "We wanted to talk to you about what happened yesterday. We wanted to get your side of the story also."
      "My side? Staci dropped me. That's my side. I believe she did it on purpose, but I can't remember."
      "So, let me get this straight, you don't remember yesterday?" asked her cheer coach.
      "I remember yesterday, just not performing. What does this have to do with anything?" asked Pam feeling the need to defend herself. "Isn't this meeting to determine if I was dropped by Staci on purpose or if she dropped me on accident?"
      "Well, that's what we thought at first" Said the principle, "but then we talked to Staci yesterday and she told us that after she was excused from her class before cheerleading her and Jenna walked into the girls bathroom to find you skipped class to smoke a marijuana cigarette, and you fell because you were intoxicated."
      "What!?" Exclaimed Pam, shocked about the accusations, she would never do that before cheerleading or at school, did they think she was stupid?
      "Also," continued the principle, "We saw that you skipped first block yesterday, but you were at school because you made it to the assembly."
      "Are you serious? You know me, I would never do that, I swear."
      "We really hope that's the case" Began her coach, "You are the most talented girl on the team, and I would hate to see you throw away so much just for an hour of fun."
      "I know! I know all this." said a shocked Pam.
      The principle then interrupted, less fond of Pam than the cheer coach, "You wouldn't mind taking a drug test then?"
      Pam paused, why didn't she stick to her gut? Why couldn't she had just said no to Flo? If she refused the test now, she would guilty for sure.
      Her cheer coach looked at Staci sympathetically, "If the test comes back negative, then Staci would be kicked off the team because we would see that she was lying."
      "Okay, I'll take the test." Said an uncertain Pam, how would get herself out of this one? "How do I take it?"
      "Well," Said the principle, "I think that if you can go down sometime within the next few days’ and get some results from a lab sent to us, we would be satisfied."
      Pam went back to class, her face felt so warm, she could tell she was shaking. She had to find Flo and talk with him as soon as possible, he always seemed to have an answer, even if it meant making things worse before they got better. She didn't want to let down her coach either. At least she had a few day's to fix this mess she had made.
© Copyright 2007 SoSuReAL (slesslerm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1270013-Dramedy-OVERLOAD-Chapters-1-2--3