Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1405027-The-Rule-of-Three
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1405027
Three minutes without air, three days without water, three weeks without food.
Write a STORY or POEM about a life changing moment. Describe what happened, and how it was life changing.

Something simple as a fall changed my life. The day began like any other day in my long, uneventful life. The sound of Jenna, my cat, yowling to go outside woke me up, and I swung my legs out of bed to start off the day in the normal way.

“Oops,” I muttered, finding myself suddenly sitting on the linoleum floor beside my bed. I’d been falling quite a bit lately, but was always able to get up unassisted. Well, except for the time about a month before when I slipped and fell out in my front yard. Despite neighbors trying to get me to my feet, nothing worked. Only a couple of hastily summoned paramedics got me upright.

This morning, though, at 6 a.m., nobody was around to help me. I sat there in only my short nightgown, shivering from the early morning cold. The hours passed without my understanding what had happened and at first not worrying. “Be quiet, Jenna!” I yelled at the increasingly loud cat. By now, she was standing up on her hind legs scratching frantically at the closed window. She didn’t understand why my morning routine had changed. Being an inside/outdoor cat, every morning she would go outside to do her “business” before coming in for her breakfast.

By noontime, Jenna had disappeared into the back of our home, determined to punish me as cats know how to do. Every now and then I’d attempt to stand on shaky legs, but failed and slid back on my bum to the floor. The afternoon went by slowly, and my thirst started to grow. The kitchen was only one room away with a fully stocked refrigerator containing cartons of milk. The milk might have been miles away since my mind couldn’t figure out how to get there. Something as simple as crawling on hands and knees into the kitchen was beyond my confused thinking. At least I’d warmed up during the day even as my thirst increased.

When the dark of evening came on that first day, the screen window beside my bed let in cool air. I reached up and slowly pulled the blankets off the bed to make a nest for myself on the cold floor. My nightgown was damp from being unable to get to the bathroom and not caring about the loss of bladder function. Thankfully, the lack of any liquid during the day soon ended that particular problem.

By the morning of the second day, my thirst was growing. “Come on, girl,” I whispered, “you can pull yourself up somehow.” Jenna had gotten over her feline snit by now and was sitting silently in the doorway between my bedroom and the kitchen. At least she had plenty of food and water, and I was even willing to drink from her water bowl, if only I could figure out how to reach it. The image of an ice cold bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale in my refrigerator also tormented me throughout the day.

I could hear people outside walking down my country road, laughing and talking. They were totally unaware, as they passed by the quiet home, of the woman inside lying helpless on the floor. The sweet smell of the rose bushes outside my window teased me, as if to say, “We’re alive, and soon you won’t be.” No, I tell a lie! No thought of danger went through my mind at any time, just a feeling of frustration at not being able to get up off the floor.

The second day ended just as the first had, with cold air circling around my shivering body. Even the blankets wrapped around me didn’t help. I scuttled partially underneath my bed, I suppose in an instinctive move to find a safe, warmer place. By now, I wasn’t hungry, and my thirst was starting to recede a bit.

Day three actually happened to be my birthday. Never in my dreams did I think I’d be spending my birthday trapped on the floor, unable to figure out how to get out from under my bed. In my increasingly confused state, I lay there with only my bare legs showing. About midmorning, I started hearing my phone ringing in the office at the back of my home. The sound was annoying and constant, but I could do nothing about answering the phone. Finally, the phone stopped ringing, and quiet once more filled my home. Even Jenna had stopped whining to go outside by now.

Around three in the afternoon, still stuck halfway underneath my bed, I heard an unfamiliar male voice at the screen window. Online friends in New York and Maine knew something was wrong when I didn’t answer their phone calls. I also hadn’t responded to their emails for over two days, and they called another online friend who lived one town up to come and check on me. The man at the window was her husband.

After he crawled through the window, everything after that was a blur. I found myself wheeled out on a gurney and placed in an ambulance for a rapid trip to the hospital. An MRI showed I was suffering from a meningioma, and another ambulance ride two hours away ended in brain surgery. Now, none of this really changed my life, not even the two weeks in the hospitals during this time.

Up until that horrible, helpless week spent in a rehab center, I had pretty much coasted through a charmed life, letting others make decisions for me. For seven days, however, I was at the mercy of uncaring people who had the final say over me. When I returned home, I was determined never again to let anyone tell me what to do.

Was it the week in rehab or the minute I first touched the deep scar across my head that made me take control back of my own life? Even five years later, just touching that dent strengthens my desire to live free.

Microsoft Word count = 1,000

"The Writer's Cramp daily contest winner for 03/25/08

© Copyright 2008 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1405027-The-Rule-of-Three