*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1442411-Laughter-is-the-best-medicine
Rated: ASR · Monologue · Comedy · #1442411
Medical research
Research shows that laughing helps protect the heart. Although studies are not sure why laughing protects the heart, the studies do explain that mental stress impairs the endothelium, which is the protective barrier lining a person’s blood vessels.

Also according to psychologist Steven Sultanoff interview for an article for WebMD, laughter has been shown to increase tolerance of pain and boost the body’s production of infection-fighting antibodies, which can help prevent hardening of the arteries and subsequent conditions caused thereby such as angina, heart attacks, or strokes.

A study in Japan shows that laughter lowers blood sugar after a meal.

Studies at the University of Maryland found that when a group of people were shown a comedy, after the screening their blood vessels performed normally, whereas when they watched a drama, after the screening their blood vessels tended to tense up and restricted the blood flow.

Studies show stress decreases the immune system. Some studies have shown that humor may raise infection-fighting antibodies in the body and boost the levels of immune cells.

Nearly 2/3 of people with asthma reported having asthma attacks that were triggered by laughter, according to a study presented at the American Thoracic Society annual meeting in 2005.

So it is pretty clear: unless you have asthma you should be reading my book. Ask your Doctor, if Am I the Only One That Signals? is right for you. It is available online at www.bbotw.com or www.bobesherman.com. No prescription needed.
© Copyright 2008 Bob E Sherman (bobesherman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1442411-Laughter-is-the-best-medicine