*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1461327-Pere-Lachaise
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1461327
Pere Lachaise Cemetary
He woke just as the sun was rising.
For a brief moment he forgot where he was, but as he slowly looked around, it all came back to him. He was in Paris, the city of lights and lovers. He had left Galina at the Hotel and gone for a walk the night before. She said that she didnt want to go to a place filled with dead people. He said that that was ok, that he would be back later.
He got in the taxi outside the hotel and said "Pere Lachaise" to the driver. The driver said "Oui" and took off.
As he looked out at the magical city,he thought of the last time he was in Paris. He was with his then wife visiting their daughter Joanne who was studying French.
The highlight of that trip for him was the day they went to Per Lachaise, the oldest cemetary in Paris. Joanne wanted to see Oscar Wildes' grave and he wanted to see Jim Morrisons'.
He rembered saying to his daughter that he would come back one day and spend the whole night there with Jim and Oscar.
Joanne had  thought that idea a bit macabre and said that I should make sure I had a bottle with me!
Now after all these years, here he was. He had his bottle with him, just as his daughter had advised. It was a pint of Tequila.
As he walked through the gateway it seemed as if he was stepping into another world. The rows of mausoleums stretched out before him in all directions. He thought of all the great people whose final resting place was right under his feet. 
© Copyright 2008 thedonkey (thedonkey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1461327-Pere-Lachaise