*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501038-THE-OJIBWA-NAMED-IT
Rated: E · Other · Regional · #1501038
If you want a ton of variety check out this great state!
The great state of Mississippi, like many other states, derived its name from Native American origin: from the Ojibwa word Misi sipi, believed to mean great river.

A close look at the map of this state and the names of the towns is almost like a history lesson in and of itself.

For instance, we have towns named after great historical places like: Carthage, Corinth, Denmark, Dublin, Edinburg, Egypt, Hamburg, Heidelburg, Paris, Rome, Troy and Philadelphia, even Washington.

There are towns named after great people such as: Bolivar, Braxton, Falkner, Jackson, Kosciusko, Madison, Washington, Pocahontas and others.

We have towns bearing the names of common people such as: James, Janice, Louise, Paulette, Rodney, Sarah, Velma, Clara, Drew, Ethel and Scott.

Native American town names are very prominent in our state, such as: Cayuga, Chatawa, Coahoma, Escatawpa, Hiwannee, Hushpuckena, Natchez, Talowa, Tishomingo, Wanilla, Toomsuba, Winona, Toccopola, and Pascagoula.

Since we are allegedly deep into the bible belt, many names can be found that are representative of biblical origin, such as: Beulah, Canaan, Ebenezer, Ruth, Sidon, Mount Olive, Cavalry, Pisgah, New Hebron and so forth.

Just as in any other state, many towns in Mississippi are named for natural resources or landmarks, such as: Blue Mountain, Blue Springs, Coldwater, Duck Hill, Hickory Flat, Silver City, Silver Creek, Red Banks, Red Wood, Walnut, Chalybeate and Walnut Grove.

Some names you spot as you carefully scan the map are a little harder to analyze. For example, why did they name a town Alligator? Was the town infested with those nasty critters? Another town is called Basic, does that mean everyone there is basic and only have basic needs?

What about the town of Chunky? Are the residents there all chunky or do they live in chunky houses? Coffeeville may very well be the name of a person, or it could simply mean they have an abundance of coffee.

Of course, we also have a town named Hot Coffee. Are they trying to do one better than those in Coffeeville? What about the town of Biggersville? Are they bigger there than elsewhere, and Blacktown, is the town painted in black?

Then we have the town of Darling. Is the town a darling place to live, or did some high muckey-muck name it after his little darling?  Midnight may be a strange town to live in, is it always midnight there?

And what about the town of Money? Do people in Money have all the money they need or want? Do they live near the people of the town of Rich? By their town names, Rich and Money residents must be well off. Then there's the town of Savage. Are all the residents there savages?

It is also hard to grasp the meaning of some towns, like: Noxapater, Scooba, Skene, Tyro, and Zama, just to name a few.

Then we have towns named after human emotions or aspirations, such as: Grace, Hope, Eden, Enterprise, Independence, Liberty, Reform, and others.

One name which is very wide spread in this great state is the name of Hope. There are towns with the name of Last Hope, New Hope, Lost Hope, Little Hope, No Hope, and just plain Hope and probably some Hopes I missed.

If you think Mississippi has a great melting pot of names, try checking out some of the towns in our other states, such as Purgatory, Hell, Butchertown, Buffalo Chip, Tarantula, Scalp Dance, Tombstone, and Dead Man's Creek.

It looks to me as if they gave up, "All Hope!"


© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501038-THE-OJIBWA-NAMED-IT