*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1548404-The-8th-of-June
by n dru
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1548404
Two lovers enjoy a sunset, but hell is coming.
The  8th  of  June


It  was  the  8th  of  June:  three  days  after  the  bombs  rained  down  on  Moscow.  Eddie  Dorchester  had  lain  awake  in  his  bed  for  the  past  ten  minutes  -  watching  his  wife  sleep  silently.  Her  soft  red  lips  parted  slightly,  her  chest  rising  and  falling  in  a  steady  relaxing  beat,  her  dark  brown  hair  catching  the  sunlight  coming  in  from  the  room’s  only  window.  ‘Best  not  to  wake  her,  let  her  dream  of  a  simpler  time.’  Eddie  thought  to  himself,  he  wished  he  could  climb  back  into  bed  and  join  her…but  today  was  the  8th  of  June,  Dianne’s  birthday.  Apocalypse  or  no  apocalypse,  he  would  make  darn  sure  his  wife’s  special  day  would  not  be  outshone  by  this  tragedy.  So  at  last,  somewhat  reluctantly,  he  made  his  way  out  of  the  room  and  closed  the  door  softly  behind  him,  then  headed  down  the  sunlit  staircase  and  into  the  kitchen. 


Fifteen  minutes  later  it  was  ready.  Bacon  piled  high  on  a  plate  was  placed  on  the  serving-tray,  alongside  the  burnt  toast  and  orange  juice.  Eddie  took  a  quick  look  at  his  watch:  10:15am  -  still  plenty  of  time.  Picking  up  the  tray,  he  headed  back  upstairs  to  his  sleeping  wife.  He  wondered  whether  he  should  wake  her  or  let  her  sleep.  ‘Let  her  sleep’  his  heart  had  told  him…but  'Bollocks  to  that’  his  head  had  replied.  Eddie  hurled  a  pillow  in  her  direction,  hitting  her  flat  in  the  face  -  sleeping-angel  image  completely  destroyed,  serenity  removed,  moment  lost  -  Dianne  awoke  with  a  shock,  snarling  and  throwing  the  pillow  back  in  his  direction.  He  laughed  and  shook  her  gently,  nodding  toward  the  serving-tray  at  the  end  of  the  bed.  She  rubbed  the  sleep  from  her  eyes,  and  a  smile  of  realisation  took  over  her  face  that  he  had  made  her  breakfast.  Bacon  on  toast,  cooked  to  within  an  inch  of  becoming  charcoal,  her  favourite.


She  hugged  him  tight  and  kissed  his  forehead,  he  smiled  and  gestured  for  her  to  eat-up.  ‘What?  You  thought  I’d  have  forgotten  your  special  day?’  She  grabbed  his  hand  and  smiled,  staring  into  his  loving  eyes.  ‘Happy  birthday,  baby’.  As  he  sat  and  watched  her  eat,  a  tear  formed  in  his  concealed  left  eye.  She  had  not  spoken  a  single  word  since  Red,  their  daughter,  had  died  two  summers  ago.  She  blamed  herself,  which  of  course  was  absurd  as  it  was  the  drunk  driver  in  the  black  Mitsubishi’s  fault,  not  hers.  The  bastard.


Eddie  and  Dianne  left  their  home  for  the  last  time  at  mid-day,  June  8th.  They  never  bothered  to  lock  the  door,  they  had  seen  the  newspapers  scattered  along  the  floor  headlined:  ‘The  end  is  nigh!  Russia  launches  nuclear  weapons  on  course  for  the  USA!’  So  why  bother?  The  pair  had  each  other,  nothing  else  mattered.  They  crossed  the  empty  suburban  streets  and  entered  the  park,  where  it  was  quieter  now,  a  lot  quieter.  The  hustle  and  bustle  of  the  large  crowd  of  people  trying  to  escape  into  Mexico  could  not  be  heard  from  deep  within  the  deserted  park,  and  the  lovers  walked  idly  for  a  while,  until  Dianne  sat  near  an  old  oak  tree  on  top  of  the  hill  overlooking  the  lake.  ‘Ok  then  birthday-girl,  I  guess  we‘re  setting  down  here  then?  It’s  not  as  appealing  as  that  country  pub  where  we  spent  most  of  last  winter,  but  it’ll  do,  I  suppose.’  Eddie  winked  at  her,  she  smiled  back.


They  sat  silently  under  the  shade  of  the  oak  tree,  enjoying  each  other’s  company  and  every  now  and  then  throwing  a  few  slices  of  bread  into  the  lake  for  the  five-or-so  ducks  to  enjoy.  The  sky  grew  darker  and  the  air  cooled,  the  sun  was  now  setting,  and  only  an  orange  cone  of  light  reflected  off  of  some  distant  cloud  remained  on  the  lake.  The  ducks  had  left  the  water  now,  nowhere  to  be  seen.  Eddie  glanced  at  his  watch  -  8:57pm,  ‘Three  more  minutes’.


Dianne  stood,  and  pointed  upwards.  The  night  sky  was  littered  with  smoke-streams  and  burning  objects  which  created  the  illusion  of  a  natural  meteor  shower.  But  they  weren’t  meteors,  and  this  wasn’t  nature  -  they  were  missiles;  sent  by  men  to  destroy  this  idyllic  scene.  Eddie  shook  his  head  and  stood,  holding  the  woman  who  had  been  the  love  of  his  life  since  he  had  first  set  eyes  on  her  when  he  was  17.  He  continued  shaking  his  head  and  cringed;  ‘Fools.  Those  stupid,  stupid  fools.  They  think  that  this  is  the  answer?  A  handful  of  people  in  a  handful  of  nations  deciding  the  fate  of  billions  of  lives?  That  is  not  what  we're  on  this  Earth  to  do.’  He  held  her  tight,  and  through  tear-filled  eyes  he  managed  to  thank  her  for  making  his  life  worth  living,  and  for  standing  by  him  for  the  30  years  they  had  been  together.


Dianne  shook  her  head,  and  brushed  away  the  tears  in  her  lover’s  eyes.  ‘None  of  that  now,  baby.  You’re  supposed  to  be  brave!  Why  do  I  always  have  to  be  the  strong  knight  and  you  the  wet-eyed  maiden?’  She  smiled  at  him.  Eddie  was  so  shocked  at  hearing  her  speak,  he  had  almost  forgotten  what  it  was  like  to  feel  the  warmth  which  blanketed  him  from  her  voice.  For  a  moment,  Eddie  thought  he  had  imagined  it.  Until  she  spoke  again;  ‘We'll  be  with  her  soon.’  Eddie  kissed  her  lips,  and  through  that  kiss  he  re-lived  all  the  previous  kisses  he  had  shared  with  her,  from  teenagers  to  parents,  he  remembered  them  all.  She  kissed  his  lips  in  return,  but  hell  had  arrived.


The  End.
© Copyright 2009 n dru (daggro at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1548404-The-8th-of-June