*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1660007-Does-The-Tea-Party-Have-Answers
Rated: E · Other · Political · #1660007
The current state of party politics with a focus on the tea party movement.
DOES THE TEA PARTY HAVE ANSWERS?

Well, yes.  And no.  The Tea Party is currently more of a symptom of the problem.    Do the Tea Party leaders want to govern us?    Or do they want to serve us?  Plato wisely observed that “no one ever teaches well who wants to teach, or governs well who wants to govern.”

The Tea Party has unity in one key issue – discontent.  That discontent is powerful.  It has the potential to be transformed into something worthwhile and good.  But first, “a reckonin” must occur.  That process will be important to the Tea Party.  It will also have major implications for the other parties and the nation’s future. 

The growth of the Tea Party should serve as a warning to both Democrats and Republicans.  The discontent among the citizens is based in truth and understanding.  That understanding is not perfect, but is good enough to know that our leaders are failing to govern successfully and that the stakes are now too high not to notice. 

There are good people in the Tea Party who truly want to serve the people and not themselves at the expense of the people.  Likewise, there are also many good people among both the Democrats and the Republicans.   

A foundation in virtue was established by the founding fathers with the Constitution.  The founders, not perfect but being familiar with human nature, created a system of checks and balances.  This system was intended to protect us.   

So when reflecting on recent political action, consider Plato’s statement “the curse of me and my nation is that we always think things can be bettered by immediate action of some sort, any sort rather than no sort.”  Thinking optimistically, some might conclude that progress was made.  Others might say the road to hell was made with the best of intentions. 

Many will conclude that what is actually in play is what Plato observed when he said “this and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears he is a protector.”  For now, let our leaders judge their own heart.  In November, the people will decide.

The solutions the people seek in the Tea Party are dependent on the virtues found among its leaders and members.  The same principle holds true in any group or organization, including the entire nation.  However, virtues must first be found among individuals.   

www.sagescave@blogspot.com
© Copyright 2010 Oneandall (rbshort1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1660007-Does-The-Tea-Party-Have-Answers