*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1660600-Proposal
by LASinn
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1660600
A man offers the woman he loves an engagment ring. 2nd place Weekly flash fiction contest.
         Wildflowers dotted the side of the road Jake was walking down. The air was crisp and clean and smelled of freshly cut grass. The sky was magnificently blue just starting to haze toward twilight when the majestic pink and purple sky colors would touch the clouds. A wide smile was plastered on Jake’s plain face as he headed toward the woman he loved.

         The small box shaped bulge in his pocket made him think of his wonderful Joanne. Her dear smile made Jake ache with yearning. The ring was to be hers, precious Joanne. He loved her from the first moment he saw her. Every moment in her presence made him feel ecstatic. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever known, and now she was to be his. Emotion swelled up in his throat, tears of elation pricked his eyes. Just to see her across the park was enough to make his heart swell.

         Nearing Joanne’s house, Jake stopped and steadied himself for a few moments, taking deep breaths to calm his nerves. He couldn’t believe he was finally going to go through with this. He was going to have her with him always. It was what he dreamed about. Bracing himself he started forward again.

         Slowly he ambled up the creaking steps. He stopped just before the door to kneel on one knee. His knock was brisk and sharp, imparting his tension into the waiting tranquility. It rang hollow in the house.

         The door opened revealing the sight of his cherished Joanne. Her gold locks framing her oval face. Her slender young body froze its movement as her gaze came to rest on Jake on his knee. A puzzled expression marred her exceptional face. She was wearing his favorite dress, the blue one that matched her round eyes. Her lips were full and slightly pouty.

         Smiling brightly with joy, the moment finally reached, Jake slid his hand into his worn pocket. He brought out the ring and clumsily opened it revealing a sparkling antique engagement ring encrusted with diamonds and sapphires. He held it out to Joanne with trembling hands, using the movement to impart all his feelings and intentions and not daring to break the silence with words.

         Joanne’s expression changed from puzzled to angry, her eyebrows furrowing with distaste.

“Get out of here! I’m calling the police! Don’t the words restraining order mean anything to you!  . I’m already MARRIED for god’s sake! Go Away!”

Jake continued smiling as he got to his feet and pulled his gun from his jacket. He aimed, shot, and Joanne was no more. Leaning over her sprawled body Jake savagely took the rings off her left hand and threw them against the wall. Tenderly, Jake slid his own ring on her dainty finger.

"Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while. You will always be with me now.”

Jake stepped back, put the gun to his own head, and fired.

(Word Count 498)

© Copyright 2010 LASinn (lasinn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1660600-Proposal