*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703981-Grandma-Hears-a-Joke
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #1703981
Grandma eavesdrops with comical consequences.
GRANDMA HEARS A JOKE

by Bikerider


"And the man told his friend," the wedding guest chuckled, "'I'm getting out of here before the farmer finds out what I did last night.'"

Eavesdropping on the conversation, grandma tried not to laugh when she heard the naughty punch line.  She held her breath, suppressing a laugh, and when her laughter erupted…so did her teeth.  In a gust of breath, her denture flew from her mouth in a perfect arc--right into the punch bowl.  As they tumbled through the air in seemingly slow motion, alternating white and pink, her gasp caught the attention of the well-dressed guests at the wedding reception.

All eyes watched as her dentures splashed into the pink liquid, and sank to the bottom. The splashing liquid spotted the white icing on the wedding cake, giving it the appearance of acne.  Sliced oranges and limes floated on the choppy surface, obscuring grandma’s view into the spiked, pink liquid.

 
Grandma caught grandpa’s attention with a shriek, and as he joined her at the table, together, they peered over the bowl’s lip into the pink concoction.  He watched as grandma took the ladle and began ‘dredging’ the depths of the bowl for her teeth.  The sound of her denture scraping against the bottom of the crystal bowl was worse than fingernails on a blackboard.  Everyone present tried to appear uninterested.  Someone asked the band to play a song to distract the guests from what was happening, and as they began to play, “The Fish Song” by the, “Nitty Gritty Dirt Band,” everyone began to laugh.


Grandpa took the ladle from grandma’s hand and placed it on the table, then he reached into the punch bowl up to his elbow.  Withdrawing his now pink tinted arm, he held grandma’s dripping denture.  As she fit her teeth back into place, grandpa took she took his hand and said, “Come on, Harold, let’s dance.”  Harold loved to dance.


WC/300 
© Copyright 2010 Bikerider (bikerider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703981-Grandma-Hears-a-Joke