*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704905-sixteen
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Family · #1704905
my life as a 16 year old
There are a lot of things that people say about life. All over the world, people have theories on life...life is a journey, life is a dance... and my personal favorite, life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.



I'm 16, i have my whole life ahead of me, is what keeps ringing in my head. But do i really? who's to know what will happen tomorrow? Will i even make it to my next birthday or the next? Will i get to see my dreams come true?



There's only so many questions you can ask when you're 16, but if there's one thing i've learnt so far about life... You have to live in the moment, enjoy every part of it because you never know when its all going to end. We all get one shot at life. Today is the tomorrow we feared and yesterday is the today we feared. You're supposed to get smarter when you're older. And in some cultures sixteen is the age. But from where i'm from, you never know what to expect when you're sixteen. You might be given into marriage because you've reached puberty or you might be given a chance to finish your education.



All around the world, the age sixteen means different things to different people, but to me it is the age of the unknown. We venture into the grown up world, a world with no faries, no fairytales, heartbreak and hardwork. We're told that its supposed to get easier as you grow older, but does it really? how can we be sure that what we see today, what we feel today, what we draem about today, what we wish for today its all in our tomorrow? Here's the answer, we can't.



There's no guarantees in life, one minute you're happy the next you're sad...another rich, the next without a penny to your name.



When you're sixteen you're never sure where you fit in in the world. You're a daughter, a student, a friend, a sibling and sometimes just you. But you never really know which role to play and when its time to play it... pretty much your whole life up to that moment you're on this roller coaster ride, where you keep being pulled in different directions so fast that you never actually get the time to grasp what's happening in your life. That can be scary sometimes, and super annoying because you feel you don't even have the power to control what's happening in your own life. One minute you're at home with all your family and the next you're in boarding school with visitation every two weeks.



Every 16 year old seems to think that it sucks being a kid and is pretty much in a hurry to grow up. But i guess i'm the odd one in the lot. I miss childhood, i miss the era of innocence when you thought that it was only you in the world, and you believed in fairy tales and princesses. The adult world is nothing like that, it's like a big wake up call... i have to read, listen, hear and relive things that i'd rather not even think about. Maybe that makes me selfish, thinking of only me... but maybe that's how its supposed to be. Maybe we're all supposed to dream and think of life as this fairy tale, and maybe not. But how can we even be sure? When we don't have a say in what happens in our lives?



Some say that man is the pilot of his own life... others say that fate controls everything... that if it's meant to be it'll be. So what do we believe then? I'm not an astrologer so i don't intend to figure out life with the stars or a card reader with a bunch or cards. Neither am i a psychologist to try and figure out the meaning of life... my life. I'm simply a 16 year old girl confused like every other person in the world.



But like they say... when you're 16, you know everything... or at least you want to know everything...

© Copyright 2010 Tracy Lindsay-Gamrat (tracy_lindsay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704905-sixteen