*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745738-Goodbye-old-friend
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1745738
A girl says goodbye to her best friend [Writer's Cramp Entry]
“Nine years ago, to the day, I was given the most amazing birthday gift ever. Do you remember?” The young water sprite asked aloud, softly stroking the head in her lap.

It let out a deep, trembling sigh.

“I had just turned ten—the age when most girls learned about handling the water from one of their parents. But my dad had been gone for years, and my mother was off in search for some mystical land.” She laughed sadly. “My grandfather was in charge of watching over me. He wasn’t sure what to do with a crying child on her birthday, so he grabbed me one of his most treasured belongings—a dragon’s egg. ‘With enough love and affection, when it is time, it will break free of its confinement, once again becoming something wonderful.’ He told me with a mysterious smile.”

Letting out a low whimper, the aged dragon burrowed his head further into her lap, as if wanting to escape from the knowledge that everything he knew and loved were quickly coming to an end.

“I loved that little egg with all my heart. I poured all the hopes and dreams I had into that little egg. Nine years later, here we are.” She smiled down at him through her tears.

“I know you’re tired and scared. But I’ll be here with you until it’s time for you to leave. Don’t worry about me—I’ll be alright.”

“I remember the first time you flew off the ground. You were just a few months old, and my surprise was only eclipsed by yours,” she smiled at the distant memory.

He wearily opened his mouth, sticking his tongue out to lick her hand. Usually she laughed and gently scolded him, but this time she let him. He seemed to be trying to tell her in his own way that she didn’t need to worry about him, because he would be alright as well.

Wrapping her entire body around his, she whispered into his ear, “Thank you for being my friend. I’ll always love you.”

He inhaled, and slowly released it. She waited for him to breathe in again, but it never came. Opening her teary eyes, staring down at her old friend. His royal purple scales appeared to be turning grey. Letting her tears fall, she stared in amazement as he slowly began to shrink, getting smaller and harder with every passing second. Soon all that was left was the crude necklace she had made him as a small girl which he had proudly worn around his neck, and an egg that looked strangely familiar.

“A phoenix dragon?” She whispered disbelievingly. Her grandfather’s words came back to mind, “With enough love and affection, when it is time, it will break free of its confinement, once again becoming something wonderful.”
© Copyright 2011 breshke (breshke at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745738-Goodbye-old-friend