Get it for
Apple iOS.
Creative fun in
the palm of your hand.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774700-Grave-Dancing
Rated: E · Draft · Ghost · #1774700
Short story, WiP, revised
                                                    Grave  Dancing

    We  waited  with  noiseless  breath  as  the  full  moon illuminated  the  forlorn  grave.  Would  she  make  her  appearance?  The  biting  October  wind  pushed  dead  leaves  before  us .  She  had  to  show  up  soon,  it  was  past  nine  o’clock.  We  knew  we  would  be  in  trouble  for  being  out  late.

“She  isn’t  coming  tonight!”  Gabby  whispered  fiercely,

“Oh  just  wait  a  minute!”  Lucy  gushed  out,

“Maybe  the  stories  are  wrong.”  I said quietly.

    The  three  of  us  had  been  sitting  in  Bay  Street  Cemetery  since  eight  o’clock  that  night.  A  local  legend  had  brought  us  to  the  bone  yard;  the  ghost  of  eight  year  old  Pearl  French.  It  was  said  she  would  appear  and  dance  around  the  small  marble  chair  in  front  of  her  grave  marker.  This  would  only  occur  on  the  anniversary  of  her  death,  October  fifteenth.  Tonight  was  the  fifteenth  and  a  full  moon  hung  above  us.  To  say  the  three  of  us  were  scared  out  of  our  wits  and  excited  would  be  an  understatement.  I  was  fifteen  and  a paranormal  fanatic. 

    My  own  brush  with  the  paranormal  began  when  I  was  six.  I  lived  in  a  haunted  house  which  my  mother  absolutely  refused to  acknowledge.  I  reveled  in  the  fact  we  had  a  ghost,  I  named  him  William.  I  really  had  no  idea  if  William  was  a  male  or  female.  Whatever  he  was  he  loved  to  move  things  on  my  mother.  This  would  infuriate  her  to  the  point  where  she  would  blame  me.  It  was  her  way  of  dealing  with  what  she  could  not  see.  We  stayed  in  the  little  house  on  Bay Street  until  I  was  in  middle  school.  We  moved  to  High  Street  which  was  three streets  up  after  the  activity  began  to  pick  up.  The  turning  point  was  when  it  was  two  in  the  morning  and  out  of  nowhere  all  of  the  doors  began  to violently  open  and  close  on  their  own.  My  mother  hysterically  bolted  out  of  bed  and  came  running  into  my  bedroom.  I  remember  her  grabbing  me  out  of  my  bed  and  running  to  the  front  door.  We  spent  the  rest  of  the  night  in  a  motel.  My  mother  refused  to  set  foot  in  the  house  again. 

    On  High  Street  we  didn’t  fare  much  better.  At  first  everything  was  fine,  the  house  was  cozy  and  welcoming.  I  remember  being  excited  about  my  new  bedroom,  it  was  pink  all  over.  I  had  a  big  window  that  faced  the  railroad  tracks  and  the  old  mill.  I  had  plenty  of  room  for  my  dolls  and  stuffed  animals.  I  had  a  particular  way  of  arranging  them,  it  took  me  all  Sunday  afternoon.  About  five  o’clock  my  mom  called  me  downstairs  for  dinner.  I  remember  walking  past  the  family  room  and  seeing  a  dark  cloudy  figure  standing  by  the  window.  I  looked  again  and  it  had  vanished  from  my  sight.  I  decided  not  to  say  anything  to  my  mom  for  fear  that  she  would  make  us  move  again.  After  we  had  dinner  I  went  back  up  to  my  bedroom.  What  waited  for  me  gave  me  chills;  my  stuffed  animals  that  I  had  arranged  on  my  bed  were  all  lined  up  in  a  row  on  the  floor.  I  quickly  picked  up  the  toys  and  shoved  them  in  my  closet.  I  knew  we  had  another  spirit  in  the  new  house. 

    For  about  a  month  I managed  to  keep  this  spirit  a  secret  from  my  mom.  It  seemed  to  have  an  attachment  to  me,  it  only  made  itself  known  to  me.  I  never  felt  afraid  of  it,  but  I  always  knew  I  wasn’t  alone  in  my  room.  I  somehow  knew  that  this  spirit  was  young  and  was  not  upset  by  my  presence.  The  spirit  wanted  me  to  know  it  was  around. I  knew  the  spirit  had  to  be  a  child.  I  would  leave  my  stuffed  animals  out  every  morning  for  it  to  play  with  while  I  was  away  at  school.  I  would  come  home  to  find  the  toys  always  in  a  row  and  always  facing  the  window.  I  never  told  my  mom  about  the  game  I  was  playing  with  the  child  spirit. 

    When  I  started  high  school  things  with  the  child  spirit  quieted  down.  I  still  left  my  stuffed  animals  out  during  the  day  but  I  wasn’t  spending  as  much  time  at  home.  I  was  hanging  out  with  my  friends  from  school  and  being  more  involved  with  after  school  clubs.  When  I  would  come  home  I would  go  straight  to  my  room  to  do  homework.  The  stuffed  animals  remained  untouched.  The  room  itself  felt  a  little  lost  and  alone,  much  like  a  younger  child  who  had  been  left  behind.  I  began  to  wonder  if  the  spirit  had  somehow  left  on  its  own.  I  no  longer  saw  a  shadowy  figure  out  of  the  corner  of  my  eye  in  the  family  room.  I  decided  not  to  dwell  on  the  small  spirit  who  hid  in  my  room.  It  was  October  and  everyone  was  making  plans  for  Halloween.  This  was  the  first  Halloween  I  was  going  to  be  able  to  go  out  with  my  friends  on  my  own.  My  best  friend  Gabby  lived  in  a  great  neighborhood  that  always  gave  out  a  lot  of  candy.  Lucy  was  also  going  with  us,  my  mom  called  us  the  three Musketeers.  I  was  going  to  spend  the  night  at  Gabby’s  since  Halloween  was  on  a  Saturday.  I  was  going  as  Moritica  Addams  from  the  Addams  Family,  Gabby  was  going  as  a  goth  punk  and  Lucy  was  dressing  up  as  a  vampire.  We  were  all  excited  and  couldn’t  wait.

    The  second  week  of  October  was  when  Gabby  mentioned  the  rocking  chair  in  the  Bay  Street  Cemetery.  The  story  that  she  had  heard  was  a  little  girl  named  Pearl  would  dance  around  the  chair  in  front  of  her  grave.  The  little  girl  had  died  in  a  tragic  fire  during  the  late  1800’s. No  one  knows  how  the  fire  started,  only  that  Pearl  had  been  sitting  in  her  little  rocking  chair  when  the  fire  broke  out.  Why  she  didn’t  get  out  of  the  burning  room  remained  a  mystery.  One  of  the  explanations  was  that  Pearl’s  mother  had  been working  in  the  old  mill  near  their  home  and  told  Pearl  to  sit  in  her  chair  until  she  came  home.  The  little  girl  not  wanting  to  disobey  her  mother  stayed  in  her  rocking  chair  even  as  the  flames  roared  around  her.

    We  had  it  all  planned  out,  we  were  going  to  spend  the  night  at  Gabby’s  and  sneak  over  to  the  cemetery.  We  knew  we  had  to  wait  until  Gabby’s  parents  were  in  bed  in  order  to  slip  out.  Once  they  were  in  their  bedroom  we  would  swiftly  make  our  way  out  the  front  door  and  head  to  the  grave.  The  urge  to  back  out  danced  in  our  heads,  we  knew  if  we  were  caught  it  would  mean  big  trouble.  For  a  split  second  we  all  looked  at  each  other,  then  without  a  sound  or  a  word  we made  our  way out  the  door.  We  didn’t  look back  as  we  entered  the  cold  October  night.  We  made  our  way  to  Bay  Street  without  saying  a  word  to  each  other.  We  knew  we  had  to  be  careful  entering  the  cemetery  because  the  police  patrolled  at  night. 

    We  went  around  to  the  very  back  of  the  black  wrought  iron  black  gate.  Gabby  knew  the  back  entrance  was  always  opened  so  police  cars  could  go  in  and  out.  We  crept  in  without  saying  a  word  and  held  our  breath.  Lucy  had  the  only  flashlight  and  she  quickly  turned  it  on. 

“The  grave  is  this  way.”  Gabby  pointed  to  the  dark  windy  path.

“Are  you  sure?”  Lucy  asked  skeptically  as  she  shined  the  only  light  source  down  the  path.

“Of  course  I’m  sure!  I  looked  it  up  on  one  of  those  paranormal  websites.”  Gabby  said  in  an  assured  tone. 

    We  began  to  make  our  way  towards  the  grave.  The  grave  stones  stood  like  silent  soldiers  keeping  watch.  I  had  to  admit  to  myself  that  I  was  a  little  spooked.  The  hair  on  the  back  of  my  neck  stood  up,  I  felt  like  we  were  being  watched.  I  looked  from  side  to  side  amongst  the  rows  of  grave  stones.  No  one  was  hiding  amongst  them,  but  if  you  listened  close  you  could  hear  whispers  coming  out  of  the  graves.

“We’re  almost  there,  I  can  see  the  chair.”  Gabby  breathed  out. 

    I  glanced  over  at  Lucy,  her  hands  were  shaking  slightly.  I  knew  Lucy  was  not  a  fan  of  ghosts.  I  never  told  her  about  the  ghost  in  my  house  because  I  knew  she  wouldn’t  come  over.  She  had  to  be  out  of  her  mind  scared  standing  in  the  cemetery  at  night.

“There  it  is!”  Gabby gushed  out  excitedly. 

“What  a  small  chair.”  Lucy  sounded  disappointed.

“She  was  a  little  kid,  what  did  you  expect?”  Gabby  said  rolling  her  eyes.  Lucy  shined  the  light  on  the  chair,  I  went  up  to  it  to  get  a  closer  look.  The  tiny  chair  was  in  white  stone  and  engraved  upon  the  back  was  the  name  Pearl.  I  felt  a  twinge  of  sadness,  the  image  of  a  little  girl  rocking  back  and  forth  came  into  my  head.

“So  now  what?”  I  asked  Gabby.

“Now  we  wait.  She  should  appear  and  dance  around  the  chair  if  the  story  is  true.”  Gabby  made  her  way  over  to  a  cleared  spot  under  a  huge  gloomy  tree.  I  looked  at  Lucy  who  didn’t  look  happy  at  the  prospect  of  hanging  around  a  graveyard  at  night.

“Seriously? We  sit  here  and  wait?”  Lucy  churned  out  in  disbelief.

“Well,  what  else  are  we  going  to  do?”  Gabby asked  annoyed.

“Look,  let’s  give  it  an  hour  and  if  nothing  happens  we  can  leave.”  I  was  always  trying  to  keep  the  peace  between  them.  My  solution  seemed  to  work  though  as  they  both  nodded  in  agreement.  We  all  sat  down  under  the  big  tree  and  huddled  together  to  keep  warm.  We  listened  to  the  leaves  rustle  around  in  the  wind.  Every  time  we  saw  car  lights  we  froze  in  our  places. 

“So  what  is  the  story  with  this  little  girl?”  Lucy asked  quietly.

“Her  name  was  Pearl  and  she  was  five  years  old.  She  lived  in  a  house  on  High  Street  near  the  rail  road  tracks  and  the  old  mill.  Her  mother  had  given  her  a  rocking  chair  for  her  birthday  so  she  could  sit  in  front  of  the  window  in  her  bedroom  and  watch  the  trains  go  by.  Actually  from  what  I  read  it  was  more  so  her  mother  could  see  Pearl  from  the  mill  where  she  worked  at  night.  She  would  tell  Pearl  to  sit  in  her  chair  and  look  out  the  window  until  she  came  home.”  Gabby  said  quietly.  My  heart  was  in  my  throat  as  Gabby  continued  with  the  sad  story.

“One  night,  Pearl  was  in  her  room  as  she  usually  was  sitting  in  her  chair.  Her  mother  had  decided  to  leave  a  fire  burning  in  the  family  room  to  keep  the  house  warm.  Pearl’s  mother  went  to  check  on  her  and  to  make  sure  she  was  sitting  in  her  chair.                                                    

© Copyright 2011 Sam Poe (sam.poe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774700-Grave-Dancing