*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1814016-Being-a-whole-person
Rated: E · Essay · Psychology · #1814016
What does it mean to be a whole person?
                                                                                   
BEING A WHOLE PERSON


    What is being a whole person you may ask? It's a person who has all their available characteristics to use, as example different feelings, or emotions. These characteristics are all part of your inner self. When you hide away, repress, or bury these impulses, you begin to create your shadow, or your inner monster. The monster is your inner self, which is forced to hide in the darkest corners of the mind. They were thoughts, feelings, emotions that you did not want to express to the world. Such as fear, hate, and any host of what was considered negative. You had shut them out, and they, the monster wanted attention. If ignored, they will come out any way they can, and can cause big problems. Everybody tries to out run the monster, and by doing so just makes it stronger. Instead you must embrace it, because it is part of you, and your inner self that wants your attention. We were all forced to hide parts of our self, lot of times not realizing that we were doing it. 

    We were trying to conform to a image that everyone found acceptable. Parents, teachers, peers, society, kept telling you what was proper behavior, and how to act. That's what life became, an act, with you becoming an actor in your own play that you couldn't get out of.  You become stuck in a role, it is your ego, and your face to the world. By this time there is just a small part of you that's left, making it hard to change your character (reinvent yourself).  When you embrace the monster, and listen to it, you will find all sorts of gifts you were missing. You become a whole person again. Just like a little kid, who doesn't like how their play story is going to come out, changes it by grabbing a towel to make a cape. The kid becomes the hero of the story, and gets the villain. The kid is able to play any character he wants, as easy as changing hats. Yes, sometimes even playing the villain. Every good story needs a hero, and a villain, the bigger the villain, the better the story becomes.   

    What I intend to do here is to show you the difference between the dualistic person, and a whole person. A dualistic person will know love and hate, good and evil, kind an unkind, light and dark, etc. Everything has an opposite. The parts we choose to show the world is our ego as told above. I will now to show you with a story.

    A person sees a kitten, appearing to be a stray. They could ignore it, because they don't care about it, and besides it's not theirs to worry about.  Another person sees the kitten, feeds it, and gives it a drink. Feeling that they did a good deed, they send it on its way. Which way is better? It becomes a judgment call, depending on what you saved from your inner self for your ego. Now you are forced to label these people. One has to be bad, and the other good, or one wrong the other right. Once you judge something, you force it to be one thing, or the other. It can never be both at the same time.

    A whole person would be observant, and become aware (conscious) of a kitten that looks like it's all skin and bones. The kitten is obviously hungry, and be possibly a stray. They could still ignore it, and not care about it, or they can care about it and feel sorry for it. They hate to see the kitten suffer, so they go into their home to find the kitten something to eat. They come back with food to feed it, and a drink. They felt compassion for the kitten, and take care of it. They may even try to find a home for it, or find out who it might belong to. If all else fails may even keep it themselves. They feel happy, and good about themselves knowing they did a good thing out of their love for animals.

    So in the dualistic approach you have these characteristics, on one side you would have shown ignorance, uncaring, unloving. The other side you would show caring, thoughtfulness, and that you did a good thing, out of love, or just because it was the best thing to do.

      Being whole you showed these characteristics.
                                                          Observant-Awareness
                                                          Ignorance-Knowing
                                                          Uncaring-Caring
                                                          Sorrowful-Happiness
                                                          Suffering-Compassion   
                                                          Hate-Love 
     
      By being whole you completed yourself. The experience was rewarding. Love was experienced. You grew, and evolved as a person. You used parts of you at one time you would consider the monster inside. By using these feelings, they bestowed the gifts of love to you. In the dualistic, judgmental approach, you wouldn't have grown, or evolved. At best you would have known that you had done a good thing for a stray kitten.


                                                                                           
Thomas Seeker

© Copyright 2011 Thomas Seeker (rickyj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1814016-Being-a-whole-person