*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1833674-The-Dramatic-Intensity-Upward-Curve
Rated: E · Assignment · Educational · #1833674
Writing Lecture/Objective Twenty-Three
 
Banner for Exploratory Writing Workshop

The Dramatic Intensity (Upward) Curve



Definition of Intensity - 1) the quality or state of being intense: extreme degree of strength, force, or energy, 2) giving force or emphasis denoted by power, force, concentration, passion, or greatness.

Definition of Curve - To have or take a turn, change, a deviation from a straight line, bend or cause to swerve


Your story needs to ride on a dramatic intensity curve building in strength, force, or energy by a power, force, or passion . . . ever upward.

It should go without saying, but as a story goes along it builds in intensity.  At least, it should.  If the reader or audience is going to maintain interest it better build.  Still, how often do you read something where the rising action comes in fits and spurts interspersed with periods of sheer boredom?

Somebody, somewhere down the line came up with a tool to measure this for dramas.  It's one of those fandango little graphs with two axes.  On the horizontal axis is the time line of the story, and on the vertical axis is the rising action.  Every play or novel has a time line, or word line, and the number goes up as the manuscript ambles along.  Some writers actually plot this. Any writer will benefit from keeping their eye on the curve.  As they read their story they put the key events on the vertical cue and the time line on the horizontal and take note of where the line of the graph is heading.

It should be moving steadily upward and to the right.  As something interesting happens, it will spike and fall back and then repeat itself as something else cool happens. It makes sense in theory, and it should prove out in your story.  If it doesn't, if it flat lines or drops during a boring part you just had to include because of the Pulitzer Prize potential, you might decide to forgo some of the fame in favor of something faster paced that the reader or audience might be more inclined to enjoy.



Percy Goodfellow - Workshop Instructor
percy goodfellow


*CheckB*   Links to The Exploratory Writing Workshop   *CheckB*

Welcome Letter - "Exploratory Writing Workshop Welcome
Introduction - "Intro - Exploratory Writing Workshop
Assignment Overview - "The Weekly Assignment Overview Page
Assignment Forum - "Classroom (Assignment Forum) of EWW
Dictionary of Writing Terms "Dictionary of Terms


** Image ID #1764610 Unavailable **
Ms. Katz - Head Administrator
*MailY* Katzendragonz *MailY*

 


© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1833674-The-Dramatic-Intensity-Upward-Curve