*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1836965-I-Hate-The-Letter-e
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1836965
A frivolous attempt to write without words that contain the letter "e". I gave up at 500.
This might look as if it is a small silly paragraph having no obvious worth.  So it is, but it also has a solitary abnormality.  It contains no “e” throughout its totality.  This constructs a slightly odd composition, but it is a satisfying trip into writing’s backwoods.

******

Hugo ran.  Ran away from a horror so ghastly that it might blight all his days.  And towards a horizon containing no human soul for comfort.  Hugo took no companion with him, nobody to talk with or to support him if things got too tough.  But what option was on hand in this narrow path that had no turning?

For all that, Hugo was basically an optimist, knowing that “a glass was half full”.  Nothing as bad as his past could turn up, and Hugo’s look into his mythical crystal ball was showing only good things, but although Hugo saw good things, it was also a situation fraught with hazards.  Not just ordinary hazards; it was a condition of utmost risk, and Hugo did not know if it wasn’t too big for him.  Hugo could only go forward, onward, upward –for to run away was not an option.  And to go backwards would bring a tragic finish to what Hugo most sought.  An idyllic way of living, with risks, naturally, but without any horrors that had sought him out in past days and months.

This was how Hugo saw his situation, although not as an obligation but as a trial, willingly put up with.  Now, thought Hugo, what can I do to avoid roadblocks and find a straight and smooth way forward?  But is that what I truly want was what Hugo had to think most about.  On most days, Hugo could find ways of ploughing onward against annoying and scary risks, but that was not straightforward.  It brought about startling obstructions that Hugo could not avoid.  So, going round or through such stumbling blocks was his only option.

Only Hugo’s dad and Aunt Claris had flown along this path and Aunt Claris was as crazy as a loon; dad was okay, though.  Hugo didn’t want to finish in a similar way to Aunt Claris.  “Tomorrow,” Hugo thought out aloud, “tomorrow I will stand facing my trials and not abandon my most important goal.”

Action was not a major strong point of Hugo’s, who was conscious of this limitation and firm in his vow to pull through this flaw in his disposition.  So Hugo was off, highly optimistic, but knowing that his mission was difficult and highly taxing.  Not that Hugo would allow this to thwart him, although an inclination towards folly might spoil his possibility of victory.

Now was an occasion for action, not just looking inwards, and Hugo was on his way, not looking back at a worn out past, but forward to such vocation as might form his lot.  A warm sun was shining for him as Hugo got going with happy thoughts and a firm motivation towards winning his most sought for goal.
© Copyright 2011 ☮ The Grum Of Grums (bumblegrum at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1836965-I-Hate-The-Letter-e