*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864632-The-Solidarity
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Comedy · #1864632
This is my newest work I've just began after taking a year off. I'm rusty.



The Solidarity
By: Casey Ross

Cast of Characters:

Lloyd…Manager of The Roast. 50s.
Ben…New employee of The Roast. 20s.
Heidi…Regular of The Roast.  Somewhere in the middle.
Sam...Ben’s ex. 20s.

SCENE ONE

(During blackout, the sound of a coffee house grinder is heard.  It flips off.  Tapping, metal on metal, and liquid pouring, then the sound of a milk steamer flipping on.  The sound of a cup hitting a counter.)

LLOYD
Bill.

VOICE
Thanks, Lloyd.

(Still in blackout.)

LLOYD
Repetition. The sustaining force in all human behavior. Today you may go to the grocery, the mall, the park, the sea, caving, a headshop, a yard sale, your mother’s, a restaurant…a coffee house…

(The sound of another drink being created, then placed on the counter is heard.)

Heidi.

HEIDI
Thanks, Lloyd.

LLOYD
The laundromat, a concert, an amusement park, court, a funeral, a wedding, a date, the pet store, a museum, an art gallery…

(The sound of the grinder turns off and another cup is placed.)

A coffee house.

VOICE
Thanks, Lloyd.

LLOYD
What is guaranteed, certain and repetitive is that you will wake up, barring you're not dead. And, you will do something. Something you’ve tricked yourself into thinking is new, exciting, or necessary. But rest assured, it’s always calculated. Planned. Repetitive. Most of us plan to be spontaneous and in that blinding irony, we fail to see that, on average, we do it once a month, repetitively.

(The lights come up. Lloyd stands behind a coffee house bar. A girl stands, holding a cup, waiting behind a man.)

Jim.

MAN
Thanks, Lloyd.

(The man exits.)

HEIDI
When’s he start?

LLOYD
Never, if I have anything to say about it.

HEIDI
You took down the sign.

LLOYD
I didn’t touch the sign.

HEIDI
It’s going to be fun.

LLOYD
We must have different definitions of that word.

HEIDI
Less work...

LLOYD
More work.

HEIDI
Now how--

LLOYD
Look, new people don’t know where the cups are, they don’t know where to put the coffee after it’s ground, they don’t know how to make a double white mocha macchiato, they think venti is a size, not a number, and they don’t know how to use the system. More work.

HEIDI
You’re impossible. I’ve never known anyone more like Oscar the grouch in my life.

LLOYD
Thanks, I’ve never held a title before.

HEIDI
You’re welcome.

LLOYD
I’ll hold it dear.

HEIDI
What’s his name?

LLOYD
I don’t know.

HEIDI
What’s he look like?

LLOYD
Never seen him.

HEIDI
Is he nice?

LLOYD
I’ve never met the guy.

(A pause.)

HEIDI
Lloyd.

LLOYD
About  6 feet. Dishwater hair. Brown eyes. Wears too many colors, piercings, too nice, and young. Too young.

HEIDI
How young?

LLOYD
20s.

HEIDI
That’s not so young.

LLOYD
Too young.

HEIDI
When’s he start?

LLOYD
Tomorrow.

HEIDI
What’s his name?

LLOYD
Ben.

HEIDI
Ben?

LLOYD
Ben.

HEIDI
Lloyd and Ben.

LLOYD
Lloyd. Ben. 

HEIDI
No and.

LLOYD
It’s a rather offensive conjunction, Heidi.

HEIDI
It’s too inclusive for a Lloyd.

LLOYD
This Lloyd.

HEIDI
What kind of colors?

LLOYD
Blue, green, red…

HEIDI
Black and Brown aren’t really everyone’s first choice, Lloyd.

LLOYD
They’re the only choice.

HEIDI
Some blue might be nice.

LLOYD
I hope you enjoy it.

HEIDI
It could never replace brown.

LLOYD
You can’t replace brown.

HEIDI
And it won’t. Brown has been around for too long. No one would ever dream of replacing brown.

LLOYD
Not even with red.

HEIDI
Of course not. Red is too frivolous.

LLOYD
Red is too damn young.

HEIDI
Red isn’t that young…

LLOYD
Too young—

HEIDI
For pouring tea? I’m sure Red will catch on. Especially with Brown’s help.

LLOYD
Tea—

HEIDI
Gets two cups. He’ll pick it up, Lloyd.

LLOYD
I can’t wait until you get burned.

HEIDI
I will ask for the second cup. Bye, Lloyd. And Ben.

(Lloyd looks behind him for Ben.)

I was just getting used it. Bye, Lloyd.

LLOYD
Heidi—

HEIDI
No and. It offends me.

(She winks, then exits. Lights fade on area.)

LLOYD

(In blackout.)

And it was in this blinding irony that I failed to see through repeption to see that this was completely new...

SCENE TWO

(Lloyd enters the shop and flips on a small sign that reads “The Roast, Now brewing...” He takes off his coat and turns on the lights on the room. He places the coat on a coat rack then picks up an apron, ties it on and looks over the room and finger checks the counter for dust. He notices a sign taped onto the counter, regards it and shrugs. He steps behind the counter. Then, with a look of terror, steps out from behind the counter and re-reads the sign. It reads: “Under New Management, Now a proud branch of Antelope Coffee.”)

LLOYD
Shit…

(A bell rings, Heidi enters.)

HEIDI

(Reading the sign, behind Lloyd.)

Proud?

LLOYD
I’m not.

HEIDI
The Man is after the little old Roast now?

(Reading.)

A proud branch of Antelope. Love their cookies. Are you going to get their cookies?

LLOYD
No cookies. This isn't the man, it's my  man.

HEIDI
Marcell?

LLOYD
He owns the place...Guess he can sell the place. Guess he sold the place.

HEIDI
I thought you liked Marcell.

LLOYD
I did until he got this bright idea that I need help...that we needed help...

HEIDI
That you needed cookies?

LLOYD
We don't need the cookies.

HEIDI
Maybe you do need the help, I don't remember when I've been here that you weren't. Surely, even Lloyd has a life...

LLOYD
There isn't a time when this place runs that I don't run it and let me tell you why: This place is opened for a 10 mere hours a day. Just over a full shift. I make, if I am lucky, 20 bucks a day in tips…10 bucks an hour, and that’s because I’ve worked here for 10 years. What would help that? And besides, there’s not room for another person in here.

HEIDI
I am feeling a little cramped.

LLOYD
You’re here early.

HEIDI
So, are you. Saw the light thought I might get a coffee before I make my 11 an hour.

LLOYD
11? Who’d you screw?

HEIDI
The pit-bull in the second cage.

LLOYD
Sorry I missed the show.

HEIDI
Wasn’t much.

(She reaches into a cabinet and pulls out a filter and a bag of coffee. She hands it to Lloyd.)

So, where's?          

(As she says this Ben enters, hurriedly)

At least I didn't miss my show...

BEN
Sorry I'm late!

LLOYD

(Checking his watch.)

You're early.

BEN

(Laughing.)

Whew! Good thing I set my clocks back an hour...Been doing it so long I...

LLOYD
...forget, I do the...same thing.

BEN
Alright, which one of you is Lloyd?

LLOYD
I...

BEN
I'm joshin' you, Bro. What do you need? Coffee brewed? Sleeves stocked? Iced tea? Where we at?

(Heidi laughs.)

HEIDI
Tea gets two cups.

BEN
You don't say...

LLOYD
Why don't you...just sweep the bar.

BEN
Bar looks sweeped. You need me to open a till?

LLOYD
I would but your not in the-

(Ben walks behind the counter and makes a few touches to the screen.)

BEN
Put my self in the system, hope you don't mind...

LLOYD
In the system, wait you what?

HEIDI
Well, looks like you've got a lot of work ahead of you Lloyd. I'll just be going.

BEN
What's your name and drink?

HEIDI
Heidi, small coffee. If I'm adventurous, a little steamed soy.

BEN

(Tapping his head.)

Got it. See you tomorrow. With the soy, if you are on an adventure.

HEIDI
Well, until then, Ben. And Lloyd.

LLOYD
Until...

(She exits, Lloyd turns to Ben.)

Your not signed off on bar, so, don't go memorizing drinks just yet.

BEN
I've poured my share of coffee, Bro.

LLOYD
We aren't related.

BEN
Right. So, you own this place?

LLOYD
No...It's...a local...

BEN

(Chuckling.)

Right.

LLOYD
What's so funny?

BEN
I thought you seemed a little uptight to own the place. If you owned it you'd be less freaked out about the rules. You aren't go to fire yourself, since you care so damned much, someone could fire you. Thusly, you must have a boss.

LLOYD
Marcell Benitot.

BEN
The French guy who...

LLOYD
Hired you, yes.

BEN
Thought you needed a side-kick?

LLOYD
I figured they were just trading in for a newer model.

BEN
I can dig.

(Lloyd looks offended.)

Not that they are trading in, that you are on to the man. The little guys need to be on to the man.

(Ben is moving from area to area opening the store as Lloyd watches. He sets out some mints at the front counter and reads the sign.)

It's already in the works for you guys then?

LLOYD
So, you must have experience...

BEN
4 Starbucks, trainer for 2, 3 locals, and an Antelope. Guess, 2 Antelopes now.
         
(He flicks the sign.)

LLOYD
We don't have the cookies yet. You like coffee?

BEN
I know coffee. My degree is in creative writing with a minor in 2D drawing...so...

LLOYD
So, here you are.

BEN
What about you, Lloyd? How do you shoot the shit?

LLOYD
I'd rather not do anything with shit.

BEN
You know what I mean, how do you have fun, what's your real gig?

LLOYD
I show rabbits.

BEN
What do you show them?

LLOYD
No, I...

BEN
I'm just joshin', Bro. Rabbits, huh? I've heard dogs but rabbits....

LLOYD
It's not a very large community.

BEN
Wouldn't think so. Ah well, whatever pops your rocks, Bro.

LLOYD
Does what now?

BEN
Nothing.

LLOYD
What do you write about?

BEN
Superheros. Drawing and writing, I wanted to work for comics...

LLOYD
Anything I've heard of?

BEN
Not unless you've been following my web-series...Barista Boy and Captain Coffee. It's...satirical. Two super guys trying to fight Starbucks, a rich sea-monster, from destroying all the world's actual coffee houses. Barista Boy writes poems and plays bongos and Captain Coffee still knows how to use a tamp...his tamp is sort of like Thor's hammer...only he can weld it...you could so care less...

LLOYD
No. That's actually pretty funny.

BEN
Yeah, I thought so. Don't really keep up on it. My co-illustrator quit on me.

LLOYD
Quit?

BEN
Quit, dumped, one of the two...
                   
(A long silence. Lloyd goes to the drawers and starts counting money.)

So, adventurous steamed soy...

LLOYD
Heidi.

BEN
She your co-illustrator, then?

LLOYD
My...

BEN
Girl, your lady...

LLOYD
No just a regular.

BEN
Ouch! A regular...Poor kid, I'll have to tell her to stop looking so glassy-eyed at you, then.

LLOYD
What?

BEN
What's she do?

LLOYD
Works for the animal shelter.

BEN
That doesn't open till 8...She's got it out for you, Bro.

LLOYD
I doubt that.

BEN
Come on! You are running the best game on this block. I met Sam, my former co-illustrator, right here...
                             
(He steps behind the bar. Looking out to the counter.)

She was sitting right there, sketching, and as I sit her cappuccino, for here, down, I look over her shoulder...Really close, she was cute...blonde, some dreads...nose ring...

LLOYD
Sounds...charming...

BEN                              

(Miming with his story.)

And ask, “What are you drawing?” she tells me she is working on her portfolio, for DC. I cringe. I'm a Marvel guy. And there you have it, weeks of playful banter telling her why Superman is quite possibly the least interesting thing is comics, then....ya'know one thing and another and your co-illustrating web comics and buying wedding rings...and...

(He stops. Collects himself)

You get it. You just got to steam that soy for here, my man...

LLOYD
She's a friend, a regular, and a friend. Besides, she's way too young for me.

BEN
Right, I'm sure that's what J. Howard Marshall said to Anna Nichole. Are you a man or are you a saint? How old are you?

LLOYD
That's none of your...

BEN
All I'm saying is that it looks to me like you have a pulse...

LLOYD
I try to stay in shape.

BEN
Can't let those bunnies get away.

LLOYD
I leash them, they would never....

BEN
Uh-huh. Well. Looks like we ready to grind.

LLOYD

(Flipping over a sign reading: Your barista today is Lloyd.)

There. Now we're grinding.

BEN
When do I get one of those?

LLOYD
I made it myself. You can send in a request to Antelope, I'm sure.

BEN
I'm on your side, Dude. I don't want the damn cookies either. With the cookies comes abstract paintings, wall mirrors, new sofas, scheduled poetry, less hipsters more suits, and your sizes go from sizes to non-sense words. I've been a bean jockey since high-school man. I get it.

LLOYD
Right.

BEN
Well. Let's brew.

(Ben goes to the bar and stops.)

After you.

(Lloyd takes his  place at the bar. Lights fade on area.)

SCENE THREE

(The sound of thunder, then rain pouring is heard. A man sighs. In blackout.)

LLOYD
I've spent a total of 10,680 minutes at this stop. The only thing I can count on is that the bus never runs on time. It's either early by 3 minutes, or late by 6. And...
                                       
(The sound of a bus pulling in fast, stopping and water slashing is heard.)

You're going to get wet.

(Lights up. Lloyd is drying off. He checks himself in a mirror. There is a rabbit sitting on the counter. He turns to the audience.)

I don't know how I got here. I know each step I've taken, each day. Each second I've waited at the Red Line stop. And how many times I've clipped Breve's toenails. I know in reason, selection, in choice, and systematical error how I've come to be. What I fail to calculate is how I've come to accept...being.

(He sits.)

Existence can be so existential. And that which is existential can be so...escapist.  Like this rabbit, I barely remember what it is like to be free from a cage. Although, unlike an animal I can't forget it. A water bottle and chew treat don't sustain me and I am forced to be...existential. To rise from repetition, reality, and solitude, to actualize to...to...

(An alarm goes off..)

run late for the first time...

(Lloyd exits and the lights come up on Ben. He is filling a pitcher of milk, alone. Heidi enters.)

HEIDI
Lloyd...

BEN
He's not here yet.

HEIDI
Funny, is he in the back? I need to ask him a question...

(She goes to the back, then re-enters.)

Alright.

BEN

(Smugly.)

Perhaps I can be of assistance?

HEIDI
Do you have a masters in culinary arts, specificity, animal culinary arts?

BEN
I can tell you where the nearest Petsmart is.

HEIDI
I'll wait.

BEN

(Setting down a coffee.)

Let me know if that is too much adventure.

HEIDI
Thanks.

BEN

(He watches Heidi roam about the cafe, dusting and moving various retail items around. He chuckles, then smiles, finally after a moment, he speaks.)

So, I have to ask what exactly do show rabbits do?

HEIDI

(Laughing.)

I have no idea.

BEN
You've never been to one of the...

HEIDI
No! And I've tried...He's so secretive about anything that doesn't have to do with grounds and foam....

BEN
Well, don't take it personal.

HEIDI
I think he likes you...

BEN
Me? Please, he'd leave me for dead in a war, now you...

HEIDI
I have boobs. And discounted rabbit vitamins. I can't be left behind.

BEN
Animal person?

HEIDI
I work at the shelter.

BEN
I see.

HEIDI
What do you show? Not rabbits, I presume.

BEN
Comics.

HEIDI
Stand-up?

BEN
I wish. Books.

HEIDI
Like Superman?

BEN
Not as cliché as Superman, but sure.

HEIDI
I offended you.

BEN
I'll be fine.

HEIDI
Sorry...

BEN
Don't be.

HEIDI
...that you are such a nerd.

BEN
Ohhhh, you...

HEIDI
I got you. It's okay.

(Winking.)

You weren't my first.

BEN
You don't do this to poor Lloyd do you? He'd explode, go all...Gambit on the cups...

HEIDI
All what now?

BEN
Gambit, X-men, he blows up anything he touches...he's

HEIDI
He's not real. And Lloyd wouldn't explode, he'd calmly move me through line.

BEN
You think? Is he frigid?

HEIDI
Ice cold, Darling.

BEN
You two make a fine pair.

HEIDI
Of what? Neighboring ice cubes?

BEN
Dunces.

HEIDI
Excuse me?

(Lloyd enters, hastily.)

LLOYD
I've never done that before.

HEIDI
Not in the six years I've been coming here.

LLOYD
Heidi.

HEIDI

(Mocking him.)

Lloyd.

LLOYD
Problem?

(He's going from area to area, 'catching up.' Ben watches the scene from behind the counter.)

HEIDI

(Following Lloyd.)

I have this rabbit.

LLOYD
Rex or Lop?

HEIDI
Explain.

LLOYD
Up ears or down?

HEIDI
Down...

LLOYD
Lops are hard.

HEIDI
He won't eat.

LLOYD
Eat what?

HEIDI
Rabbit things. Carrots, pellets, hay...

LLOYD
Peppers.

HEIDI
They eat peppers?

LLOYD
They do if they are in the mood for something spicy.

HEIDI
Rabbits have developed palates and here I thought the name Gordon Ramsey was absurd for a rabbit.

LLOYD
It's actually quite fitting, rodants and reptiles are the most decerning when it comes to what they eat.

HEIDI
I come for the coffee, I stay to learn.

LLOYD
Your coffee. Here, I'll steam that soy...

BEN
No need.

HEIDI
Ben got me.

BEN
How's that adventure? A plesent saffari or a bad camping trip?

HEIDI
I'm with my guide, Timbweh, watching garaffes.

BEN
Lovely.

LLOYD
Ben.

BEN
Yes?

LLOYD
I like your...ear assories...

HEIDI
Gadges, Lloyd.

BEN
Plugs, actually...

LLOYD
Whatever they are, they are a lovely shade. What color would you say those are, Heidi?

HEIDI

(Rolling her eyes.)

They look pretty red to me...

LLOYD
Red. Works for Ben here, too frivolous for me.

BEN
Didn't know colors had such 'tude.

(Heidi laughs.)

HEIDI

(Patting Ben's shoulder.)

You are going to learn a lot from Lloyd, especially about color sensibilities.

BEN
I can't wait.

HEIDI

(Throwing an arm around Lloyd)

I've got a spicy lop to attend to, my friend.

LLOYD
Best of luck.

BEN
Hey, tell Timbweh, click click do be do for me.

HEIDI
Wonderful, you're fluent.

BEN
I’ve got a good tongue.

HEIDI
Something to remember. Bye Lloyd.

(Heidi drops a bill in the tips and exits)

LLOYD
What the hell was that?

BEN
How much does she usually tip?

LLOYD
She has been coming here for years...

BEN
So. She doesn't.

(he reaches into the tip jar and pulls out a 20.)

Huh.

(he hands it to Lloyd.)

What that was, was skill.

LLOYD
She gave you 20$ for being persumptive and crass?

BEN
She gave me 20$ cus I made her feel special. Man. You could be makin' bank bro. As long as these folks have been coming to you...Jesus, man. You might as well be family. Keep that.

LLOYD
I am a grown man, I don't need donations from a...

BEN
It's not a donation, old man, it's a pitty prize for how I am about to school your tip jar.

(Lights fade on cafe area and stay tight on Lloyd.)

LLOYD
It's official. I hate the guy. Not only can he free pour a perfect rosetta with skim, he was right. Whatever that base, vile communication he calls "skills" was, it earned him 87 dollars. His smile sickens me. I want to hold his alternative, pierced, winning smile under a group head and let the rinse cycle spew hot water all over his neat, but not too neat, stubbley face. Not since my 20s have I so militantly hated a person. We don't start this bitter. We are made this way. I used to think there was a place in the world for a kid dumb enough to think trained rabbits in tiny suits were a million dollar show. A preformance artist, I was. What’s the word for that, now, ah yes, a fool. I moved myself to a studio with nothing more than my coat that I would throw on the floor in a fashion resembling a dead man on my floor. It was my bed, my partner, and sometimes the only friend I would drunkenly chat with in the dark. I didn’t have electricity. But I was free. Free from the Midwest and here, here. Beautiful, new, perfect, here.  San Francisco.  A city built on a hippy migration. A city built on protest. A city built on Harvey Milk, flower children, free minds and free drugs. There were palm trees. There was grime, dirt, the smell of human and animal urine wafting into my window...I was hungry, wet, tired, and sometimes I slept in a park with strangers. But. I was happy. I wasn't normal. Normal is a death sentence and once you accept her into your bed, every moment lying next to her is one more moment gone as you tick the seconds down to your normal death. Now, I lie next to normal every night. We spoon. This world won. I got too hungry, too wet, too cold. My coat ripped. My friends stopped sending letters saying "follow your dreams!" And I, I stopped seeing street art and palm trees and started seeing price tags. You see, Before I got on my return flight back into the clutches and cold eerie fingers that dig into my heart, my core, my soul giving me that feeling, you know the hallow empty feeling? You see, before I came back here...I didn't have this tamber. I had her. The woman in row 23, seat A. The one person I hate more in this normal world, than Ben. A had 4 magazines, a book of crosswords,  a blow up neck pillow, a bag of trail mix and probably some fucking sodoku to round out her 2 hour flight. A flight, that came with free TV ads projected on the back of the heads of the other poor fucks flying into Red State hell. Her headphones, stopped working, with 1/2 hour left in the sky. And as suddenly as I lost my boyish grin, the same one that flashes accross Ben's stupid stubbled face, the light to summon the over-poweringly gay steward was illuminated. As the steward floated down the isle to A, I watched in horror as this...whore...began to explain her plight. Her plight that would now last, 23 mintues. The steward explained that there was simply nothing he could do, they were out of new headphones for the now 21 mintues remaining and in about 10 they were going to end the projections anyway. To land. The fatal cocktail of my anger with myself and my anger with her finally boiled over and I tapped the monster on the shoulder and said, so foolishly and so youthfully, ’There are people on this flight who haven’t eaten in a week and you are worried about 10 mintues of Skymall ads?’ I could tell by the shock on her now reddening face that it didn’t take. Like I know today, that if I tell Ben, stupid stubbled Ben, that I used to be just as much of a fool as him, sketching his little soul away drawing men in tights and capes, that if I told him stop now. Don’t go. Don’t try. Don’t care. If I told him that, it wouldn’t take. And that’s probably why I hate him.

(Lights fade back into the cafe scene. Lloyd is counting money and Ben is sweeping.)

BEN
I didn’t mean to piss you off.

LLOYD
You didn’t do a thing to me. You simply embarssed yourself.

BEN
Embarssed? Come on, man! I did my job. I know you think I don’t have a care in the world, but I’ve got bills to pay, if I have to bat my eyes or finger brush a cougar for enough gas to get here, I’m going to do it. There is no shame in that.

LLOYD
Really? Then why do you seem so ashamed?

BEN
Because I’m working for...for...Megatron over here!

LLOYD
Excuse me?

BEN
You are a robot! No wonder this place worked a one to one. No one, and I do mean no one, would last here!

LLOYD
You are still in your 90 day evaluation period, I would not...

BEN

(Dropping the broom)

I don’t need this. No one needs this. This is insane. This is like...something out of a...a...DC comic.

LLOYD
Do not...

BEN
No. You do not. I quit.

(Lloyd picks up the broom and Ben starts to exit. Ben stops and turns around, addressing Lloyd.)

I’m good at this. That’s what you don’t like. Not only am I good at this, but I’m not an idiot. I’m not a fuck up. I’m just a nice guy, who did my job, and you can’t handle that, because I make you expendable. Admit it. That’s what it is. You could care less about 2 cups on tea, about signing me off to pour a latte, mind you, I can pour art in them, you could care less about my witty, fun, pleasent report with your hot little regular...All you care about is feeling like you are needed. Or at least lying to yourself that you don’t have an exparation date. We all do, bro. I do. You do. This cafe does. Heidi does. It’s been a week, man. A week. I’ve got your number, and I quit. I...fucking quit. Good luck, I filled out your cookie order for you...The orange creames are the most popular...

(He exits. Lights fade on area.)

SCENE FOUR

(In the blackout.)

LLOYD
Walt Witman once said, nothing can happen more beautiful than death...I’m starting to belive him.

(Lights up on the cafe. Lloyd is behind the bar mumbling and removing pieces of the espresso machine holding a screw driver. Heidi enters.)

HEIDI
Hi, Lloyd.

(Lloyd grunts.)

Alright. Hi. Lloyd.

LLOYD
Heidi.

HEIDI
Rutine maintinece?

LLOYD
I wish.

HEIDI
See? I bet you are glad to have your sidekick now...with...the...machine...where’s Ben?

LLOYD
Gone.

HEIDI
He’s off?

LLOYD
Permenately.

HEIDI
You didn’t.

LLOYD
No. I didn’t. He quit. Didn’t even finish the floors last night.

HEIDI
Oh.

(She digs through her bag and sets a book on the table.)

Guess I won’t be getting that back to him...

LLOYD
I’ll mail it to him.

HEIDI
Good. Um. Can you tell him I liked it?

LLOYD
Heidi, I’m not going to call the kid to chat, I am mailing his paycheck and his belongings. If you have a message for the mouthy little devient, find him yourself.

HEIDI
Costumer service with a smile.

LLOYD
We both know I’ve not charged you for years...

HEIDI
What’s wrong with it?

LLOYD
I don’t know...

HEIDI
How rare.

LLOYD
Watch.

(Lloyd presses a button, a loud plunk is heard, then smoke.)

HEIDI
It’s not supposed to do that?

LLOYD
Heidi.

HEIDI
Lloyd.

(Lloyd sets down the screw driver and stares Heidi down.)

I’m trying to make you smile, Frosty.

LLOYD

(Sitting on the counter.)

I know.

HEIDI
It’s broken.

LLOYD
It’s at least beyond me.

HEIDI
Let’s get breakfast.

LLOYD
I’ve got to call matience, I can’t...

HEIDI
I won’t tell.

LLOYD
Heidi, that’s not how it works, it’s my job to...

HEIDI
We’ve established that I am no longer a costumer today, correct?

LLOYD
Right...

HEIDI
Then, Lloyd, as your friend, maybe not even friend, as...a fellow inhabitant of this planet, as...a passer by...it’s not your job to stop living. That’s nobody’s job...

(She exits. Lloyd rubs his temples and sighs. He pushes himself off the bar, and bends down to retrieve the phone he begins to dail, then glances at the book on the counter, left by Heidi. He set the phone down and picks up the book.)

LLOYD
The Grinding Tales of Captain Coffee and Barista Boy, by Benjamin Shaffer.

(He flips to a random page near the end and begins to read, as the lights fade.)

This is the end, the end my friend. My tamp is empty. My foam has fallen. I’m burnt and I’m bitter. My acidity is biting not bright and I know now, that my shot times are off. Beans were never so fresh, the roast was never so pure, and...

(He stops, reading now more quiet and reverant.)

And...never was the sound of steam such beautiful music as it was when I knew you were by my side, desipite Starbucks’ reign, I had you. Always you, to battle the cooperate, to battle fear, and to battle the herioing aging, battle of my own...

(A pause)

My own solidarity...

SCENE FIVE

(Lights up on the cafe. There is no business. Lloyd is reading Ben’s comicbook. A young woman enters.)

LLOYD
Restroom’s in the back...

SAM
Thanks.

(She walks by Lloyd, who is still reading, notices the book, then stops.)

Where did you get that?

LLOYD
It was left here.

SAM
By who?

LLOYD

(Looking over the book to Sam.)

By a responbility-less mouthy youth.

(Sam laughs.)

SAM
By Ben?

LLOYD

(Closing the book.)

Know him?

SAM
I almost married him.

LLOYD
My condolences.

(He goes back to reading.)

SAM
Did he work here?

LLOYD
For the totality of a week. Do you need the restroom or an interveiw?

SAM
Sorry.

LLOYD
Do you want to see this?

SAM
I...didn’t know he finished it. Ben...never finishes anything...he

LLOYD
Here.

(He hands her the book. She flips to the end and reads in silence.)

SAM
Can I...have this?

LLOYD
Don’t you think I should return it to it’s owner?

SAM
Half of it is mine...

LLOYD

(He takes the book.)

Prove it.

(She flips it over in his hands.)

SAM
I’m Samatha Franklin...I’m kind of surprised he...I mean I quit so...

LLOYD
He’s mouthy but he never struck me as a theif.

SAM
No...

(Lloyd sets the book down and begins to take food from the case.)

LLOYD
I close in 20 mintues.

SAM
Oh. Sure. I’ll just...

(She exits towards the rest room. Lloyd regards the book, sighs and goes back to moving the food. Sam emerges from the restroom.)

Thanks...

LLOYD

(Handing her a cookie.)

Here.

SAM
Orange creame. My favorite.

LLOYD
I had a huntch.

SAM

(Beginning to exit, she turns back.)

Thanks...um...

LLOYD
Lloyd.

SAM
Thanks, Lloyd.

(Heidi enters as Sam is exiting.)

HEIDI
Who’s the late comer?

LLOYD
One of Red’s little friends...

HEIDI
I see. Well, are you ready?

LLOYD
Heidi...

HEIDI
You’re sick. You’re busy. Something came up. Which one?

LLOYD
I just don’t...

HEIDI
I know. You just don’t. Lloyd, I don’t know why I bother. I really don’t.

LLOYD
I’m sorry.

HEIDI
You really have been lately...

LLOYD
I...

HEIDI
We were going to a pet fashion show. We weren’t going to a dimly lit resturant. We weren’t meeting my parents. We weren’t comitting to anything. We were only making plans to interact as more than latte exchangers. I’ve known you for 6 years. Damnit, 6 years, and I don’t even think I’ve ever seen you step out from behind that counter.

LLOYD
That’s absurd, I clean the cafe...

HEIDI
You know what I mean. What are you afraid of?

LLOYD
Living.

HEIDI
What?

LLOYD
I’m afraid to live...
© Copyright 2012 Uncanny_Casey (uncanny_casey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864632-The-Solidarity