*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1876646-The-Idea
by Angus
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1876646
Could It Really Happen?
THE IDEA


“This is insane, you know,” the young man said. “Does your father really think this can be done? I mean, c’mon, we’ve been at this for the last year and a half, and I don’t think it’s possible.”

Scott didn’t want to pay any attention to his co-worker, but in the back of his mind he knew he was right. The heat was stifling during the summer, and freezing during the winter. Working twelve hour days, sometimes longer, was enough to bring any man to his knees.

He looked down at the ground, some four hundred feet below, and then back at the rope that that held him up here. Even though he wasn’t afraid of heights, he still had a sick feeling in his stomach.

“Well?” his co-worker pushed.

“Look, John. It was his idea, and I promised him I would help. I know this is an insane idea, but if we just keep going…”

John shook his head and went back to work. He had no idea how he got talked into this, but Scott was his best friend, and the old man was like his father.

Two more days went by, and John just couldn’t take it anymore.

“Alright, Scott,” he said. “If you don’t go tell you father he’s nuts, then I will.”

It was time. Scott knew it.

“Alright,” he said. “I’ll go talk to him.”

Five minutes later Scott had managed to climb up to where his father was working.

“Dad,” he said. “We can’t keep doing this. John’s beginning to think you’re crazy, and frankly, so am I.”

His father gave him a hard look, but said nothing.

“I mean, seriously Dad, look down there. Do you really think that looks like George Washington’s nose?"


© Copyright 2012 Angus (deadzone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1876646-The-Idea