*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996874-The-Package
by River
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1996874
Written for The Challenge
Prompt: You find a package at your door with nothing on it but your name.

When the doorbell rang, I sprang up from my position on the floor where I had been exercising. I raced to the door and opened it, but there was nobody there.  Then I glanced down and saw a package on the welcome mat.

It was slightly bigger than a shoebox and wrapped in plain paper. My name was written in black marker across the top.

I stared at the package wondering what to do. Twenty years ago I would have picked it up, took it in the house and opened it.  Now I hesitated, What if it was a bomb or a severed hand?  It could be anything.  Should I call the police or would they think I was insane? 

With my heart thumping in my chest I stood perfectly still and stared down at the offending box.  I wished I had x-ray vision, so I could look through the package and see inside.

I told myself to calm down and considered my options. I was not calling the police and making a fool of myself.  After all, who would leave a bomb or a severed hand at my door?

Determined, I squeezed my eyes shut, picked up the package and took it inside.  I set it on the table and took a deep breath.  I carefully began to open the box...
© Copyright 2014 River (riverbedwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996874-The-Package