*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2010893-Gauntlet-challenge---day-8
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Other · #2010893
Kelly and Liam more than like each other
Using only dialogue, write a scene in which your character realizes they are in love with the person with whom they are speaking.

“I’ve never watched a sunset from the beach before. Hell, I’d never considered spending a day at the beach during November! California is a totally new experience for me.”

“What’s it like in Philadelphia, in November?”

“Cold. What? Here, do you need my jacket? Okay, it’s colder than here! Probably by 30 degrees.”

“Thanks. Mmmm, it’s warm, and it smells like Liam.”

“That’s a good thing, I hope.”

“Definitely.”

“Come closer, Kelly. I promise I won’t bite.”

“How are you so warm, in this wind?”

“Your own portable heating device, my lady.”

“Thank you.”

“For being a heater?”

“For today. I’ve never experienced Santa Cruz with anyone but my family and Grace, before. I’ve had such a great time.”

“It’s over?”

“No! I mean . . . I’m having a great time. It’s just that I’ve never had someone special to share it with, like this.”

“A boyfriend, you mean.”

“So much for subtlety!”

“Hey, you know me by now. I don’t shy away from saying what I mean.”

“Very true. Yes, I meant I’ve never had a boyfriend to share something like this with.”

“Boys can be really stupid.”

“Ha!”

“What? Am I wrong?”

“No, not at all. Boys can be really stupid. Especially when it comes to certain things.”

“Like dating a trans girl.”

“There you go again, so easily saying the things that I shy away from. Yes, like dating a trans girl.”

“Why shy away from it? It’s not a secret, and it’s certainly nothing to be ashamed of.”

“I’m not ashamed. I’m proud of who I am. But it can make some people uncomfortable.”

“Not me.”

“Not at all? The idea of dating a trans girl doesn’t bother you at all?”

“You’re a girl. You’re Jewish, and you’re transgender. I’m a boy. I’m an atheist and I’m half Scottish, half English.”

“Which half is which?”

“You’re trying to change the subject!”

“Stop laughing!”

“Come here.”

“Mmmmm. You taste like chocolate.”

“Hush.”

“Why are we whispering?”

“Because the seagulls are listening.”

“Naughty seagulls. Eavesdropping on a private conversation.”

“It’s fun kissing you when you’re smiling. I can feel it.”

“It’s fun kissing you. You make me smile.”

“Good. I’m glad. You deserve to smile.”

“So it doesn’t bother you at all?”

“That’s my girl! Not shying away now. No, it doesn’t bother me at all.”

“But you know . . .”

“What do I know?”

“I can’t make myself say it.”

“Ah.”

“I wish I had been born a normal girl, Liam. This really stinks sometimes!”

“Shhhh, no crying. If I take you home with red, puffy eyes your parents will kill me! That’s better.”

“That hurt.”

“You’ve never laughed while crying before? I asked you out because I like you. It’s only been a few weeks, but I really like you, Kelly. And no, it doesn’t bother me one bit. When I talk to you, when I kiss you, I’m not thinking about anything else. We’ve already determined that boys can be really stupid. Asking a girl out because they want to get in her pants is one of the more stupid things that boys do. It’s been three weeks. When and if we’re both ready for more than kissing, it still won’t bother me. Will it bother you? You’re crying again.”

“You’re perfect.”

“But you don’t want the seagulls to know?”

“You’re perfect!”

“That’s better. What? I made you smile again, didn’t I? Nobody’s perfect. But I’m glad you like me so much.”

“Liam?”

“Hmmm?”

“I’m pretty sure I more than like you.”

“I’m pretty sure I more than like you, too.”

Word count - 598
© Copyright 2014 Merry Mumsy (amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2010893-Gauntlet-challenge---day-8