*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2024623-The-Socialite-Spy
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #2024623
A woman discovers her past
"Please don't shoot me!" The man yelled, his hands up in the air. Part of me wanted to kill him and watch him die, as I had so many others. Something stopped me though, there was something familiar about him. "Don't you know who I am? Tonya, please try to remember that we love one another."

"Love? Please, I love nobody." I cocked the gun and watched as the fear flooded into his eyes. My finger played with the trigger, but a hand on my shoulder stopped me from pulling it. "What do you want, Allan?"
"Don't kill this guy. He's not an enemy." I shot a look at my partner, he didn't know how the man had snuck up behind me and wrapped his hands around my waist. "He's your husband."

"What?" There had to be some sort of mistake. Allan had just been assigned to be my partner and was still very green in the department. My former partner had been reassigned, because I had been in a coma for three years. "There is no way that I am married, don't you think that I would remember if I was."

"Let's all go to the coffee shop and talk. There's a very simple explanation for everything, but I'm pretty sure that you don't want to hear it in an alley with a gun aimed at him." When I saw that Allan's green eyes were truly pained, I lowered my gun. Silently I put the gun in my bra, making sure that the safety was on. "You won't be sorry, though you might hate a few people after you hear this."

"My Tonya doesn't hate anyone!" My alleged husband yelled. If he tried to do something sordid like hold my hand or put his arm around me, I was going to shoot him between the eyes.

The walk to the coffee shop was silent, and the man who claimed to be married to me, was on his best behavior. Allan walked on one side of me, while the other man walked behind me. To the average person, we probably seemed like any other set of friends that walked the streets of Manhattan.

At the coffee shop, we got our drink and found a table in the back. We placed our coats on the next table in an effort to make sure that no one over heard our conversation. It was futile though, there were more people coming in than leaving. I drew a deep, "Someone better start telling me this story."

"Well about 5 years ago, I got to marry the love of my life. You." My eyes rolled, what was with this man thinking that we were married?

"Tonya, Clay is telling the truth," At least the man who claimed to be my husband had a name now. It was a bit murky how Allan knew it, but I figured it would all come out. "I don't even know where to begin with this. Well first of all, you aren't a detective with the NYPD. You are a spy for The CIA."

"Say what now."

"The CIA recruited you and paired you with one of their top agents, in an effort to bring down a billionaire based here in the city. However the intel that you brought in was enough to bring in several more people and stop an assassination attempt on the President." I braced the table as the story was coming out. It bared very little resemblance to the life that I had been living. "You saved his life, however the people after the President were very upset. They tracked you and your partner down and brutally shot him."

"Isn't it better to show than tell? I mean what kind of story is this?" It was a question that had to be asked.

"Well seeing as you don't remember and neither of us were there, it would be very hard to show. Plus there's a restricted word count," Allan smiled at me. I nodded my head and hoped that he would continue on with this unbelievable story. "This must all be very confusing for you. Let me go on and hopefully it'll shed some more light. After the death of your partner, you were diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Well as you can guess, The CIA didn't want their best agent to be dealing with such heavy emotional issues."

"When they came to me and asked if they could erase your memory, I said yes." Clay piped in. There was regret etched on every inch of his face. "I didn't want you to have to deal with seeing them murder your partner every single day."

"Thank you, Clay. Anyways, so they sent you to a highly trained Doctor. He was supposed to just erase the memory of your partner being killed. Somehow though, he ended up erasing 10 years of your memory. While the scientists at The CIA worked on a way to regain those memories, I was assigned to watch you."

"Watch me? Like I'm some sort of baby or something? I am certain I can take care of myself, I mean I had Clay hear backed into an alley about to pee himself. He is scared of me." I gave my husband a look to dare him to contradict me. I knew that the little worm wanted to but he stayed silent. "Thank you for making a fool out of me, but you are relieved of your duties."

"It's not that simple, Tonya. See you are still being hunted by the organization that you toppled. That's why you need to stay with me, I am not your partner. I'm your bodyguard."

It felt as if the air was sucked out of the room. My head was spinning with this new information about my past and my present. For as long as I could remember I was an ace Detective, highly respected and admired. Now I found out I was The Socialite Spy.

© Copyright 2015 Author Ed Anderson (spaz11081 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2024623-The-Socialite-Spy