*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2024793-KODA-Kids-of-Deaf-Adults
Rated: E · Short Story · Psychology · #2024793
Read and relate to me. There are more Kodas out there. reach out and write.
         Everyone talks about how difficult life is without parents. I feel for them, but I do not want to talk about that. I am no different except for the fact that my Grandma is completely and utterly deaf. My mom was never home, for she worked her behind ragged with her 2 jobs. She also went to college on top of that! Her not being around forced my grandmother and I to form such a strong bond that not even the ability that she couldn't hear would stop us from being there for one another. I remember going to Burger King, McDonalds, Ames (sort of like an old school Walmart) and other places with her. I felt different from the other kids because I had to translate for her EVERYWHERE we went. It got annoying and I started to resent my grandmother. Why couldn't she hear? Why couldn't she be like all the other grandmothers in the world? As I grew older, my mind matured and I realized I was lucky to have her. That woman never asked for anything from anyone. A real do-it-yourselfer. She did what men usually do to their households. From decorating to gardening and even yard work, my grandma kept busy. Without her, I would be a normal kid like you or the guy standing behind you reading this. I am glad I am not. Poor, fatherless, mixed races.......who cares. My grandma is deaf. That luxury overshadows all my setbacks. I love you Peggy Ann Manol.

© Copyright 2015 ray the righteous (raywilliams14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2024793-KODA-Kids-of-Deaf-Adults