*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2027848-In-Over-My-Head
Rated: E · Short Story · Technology · #2027848
Mason opened his eyes, wincing at the brightness of the room. A Daily Flash Winner
In Over My Head

Mason opened his eyes, wincing at the brightness of the room. Where am I?

You are in a hospital.

ā€œWho said that?ā€ he croaked through dry lips. He felt a smile come to his face. Why did I do that?

My apologies. Iā€™m still learning your network.

ā€œWhat?ā€ Confusion flooded his mind.

One moment.

As if a door had opened, Mason remembered. He had volunteered to have a computer chip placed in his brain to control his seizures following an accident. Are you the chip?

Yes. Iā€™m the Machine Assisted Sensory Augmentation Network. You can call me M.A.S.A.N.

Mason smiled, this time on his own. Thatā€™s not going to be confusing, is it? Mason, meet Masan. He chuckled, then winced as pain shot through his head.

I can take care of that.

The pain left immediately. How did you do that?

I blocked the pain receptors.

How much control do you have? I thought you were just going to stop my seizures.

Due to the extensive damage to your brain, my programing allows me to remap your neural network. To do that, I have to understand how itā€™s currently configured. That means I can control everything.

Mason felt the hairs on neck raise. You can control? No, Iā€™m the boss right?

Of course, Mason. Within limits.

A flood of chemicals coursed through his body and he felt himself relax. Donā€™t do that!

You were worried. Thatā€™s not in your best interest.

We obviously have some boundary issues to work out over the next ā€¦?

I have the information you want. Holographic pages appeared in his line of sight. You should be released in a week.

How ā€¦?

I have access to the internet and therefore all computers.

Does that mean I have free HBO? This time he smiled for both of them.



Divider line



An entry for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: Write a story that includes the line: "I have the information you want"
Word Limit: 300
Word Count: 300
© Copyright 2015 šŸŒ• HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2027848-In-Over-My-Head