*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040589-The-Butler-Did-It
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #2040589
A marriage of Ayn Rand and Karl Marx
          The Butler Did It


"You know Dennison, between the two of us we could buy many small countries."

"Of course we could.  I could buy a couple by myself, but why in the world would I want to?  Where would the profit be?  Any country that could be bought wouldn't be good for anything but a garbage dump."

Arthur VanGogh sat in the comfortable arm-chair and closely watched Paul Dennison the Third.  If he thought about it he would have to say he was watching him in disgust.  Dennison, lounging on the couch, His pudgy body squashed into what was supposed to pass as a tennis outfit, reminded Art of a painting of Nero at the height of his corruption.  All he needed was a slave fanning him and another feeding him grapes.  Art felt it was a crime that such a stupid man should be in charge of such huge sums of money.  Art had much greater wealth, but he was not a stupid man.  Paul Dennison the First was a grand man.  He was so disappointed in his son, it was probably a blessing that he died before he could see what would become of his fortune and his family.

Art was born poor.  Through intellect and hard work he had become wealthy.  Much wealthier than Paul Dennison the Third, or Deny, as he liked to be called.  Art had a hard time thinking of this fat blob of greed as a 'Deny'.

"Paul, I wasn't thinking so much about profit. I was thinking about an experiment.  We have such great assets, assets that produce more income than we can ever spend ourselves.  If we took half of our assets, and invested them in a poor country, and used our business talent to turn a small poor country into a happy productive country, wouldn't that be a great contribution to mankind?"

Paul appeared to be thinking.

"Sir, would you and Dr. VanGogh care for more refreshments?"  James, the butler, had been standing in the doorway listening to the conversation.  Art had known he was there and wanted him to hear what he had to say.  Deny was oblivious.

"What? Oh - No James.  We're about done here.  That will be all."  Dennison dismissed his servant with a wave of his hand.  As James left the room he nodded and smiled at his friend Art.

When they were alone again, Dennison said, "Van, why in the world would you ever consider using the money that you worked so hard for, to try to put a bunch of ignorant savages to work?  My grandfather would roll over in his grave if heard such a foolhardy conversation!"

Art sighed.  "Yes Paul.  I knew your grandfather well.  He was a fine man.  Yes, I'm sure he is turning over in his grave."

      .........To Be Continued.
© Copyright 2015 Geoff (rennur at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040589-The-Butler-Did-It