*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074115-Soundtrack-To-My-Life-True
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Activity · #2074115
Day 3 Soundtrack To My Life Feb 3 2016 Spandau Ballet {i}True{/i}
Everything is more intense when you're younger. For me, music was like air, like food, like water. I had to have the music, and I wanted to feel something when I listened. Excited, happy, or thoughtful, I couldn't be objective about it. This actually became a problem for one of my friends.

Darien was a singer-songwriter who listened for certain elements in popular songs, and based his opinions on the presence or absence of these items. I distinctly remember his excitement when the Rolling Stones released Emotional Rescue in the early 1980's. Darien loved the falsetto; I didn't like it because Mick Jagger sang like a girl. Darien was thrilled by Nina Hagen's five- octave vocal range; I thought she screeched. We listened to some of the same music, but there were differences of opinion.

I never asked Darien about his opinion of True by Spandau Ballet. But I remember the song. It had a haunting, almost ethereal quality. Knowing all the lyrics seemed unimportant, as did being able to hear all of them. They were breathy and heartfelt and spoke of loss. I connected to True somewhere in my soul, and the song mattered to my younger self in an undefinable method. I don't know why I felt this way, but I still feel the spirit of that belief and the certainty of that memory. True has lingered in my heart, and always will.






© Copyright 2016 Whiskerfacebythefireplace (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074115-Soundtrack-To-My-Life-True