*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2077275-Mordans-Murders
Rated: GC · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2077275
There's several reasons why a yard doesn't look like all the others. This is one of them.

Mordan’s Murders


     Law Enforcement Investigator Plasant flashed his identification at Breanda. Breanda had to bend over slightly and squint a little to read Plasant’s identification card.

     “Don’t panic. I’m not here because you are in trouble with the law.” Plasant stood in front of Breanda’s door.

     “Then why are you here? Is it because you have been watching me in that hover transport across the street for the last two months?”

     Plasant’s eyes almost popped out of his head. “You noticed that. Did you?”

     “It’s hard not to. You came and went from that transport on a regular basis with your female partner and three other teams. Yet you never went to any of the residences on this street – until now.”

     “That’s very observant. Maybe we should make you an investigator.”

     “I am looking for work.” Breanda still talked to Plasant from a slightly opened door.

     “Sorry about the confusion. I was just trying to lighten up a bad situation.”

     “What do you mean by that?” Breanda asked.

     “I’m here to talk to you about something. Can I come in. It’s something I would rather not talk about out in the open.”

     “Sure you can.” Breanda opened the door completely, and escorted Plasant into the living area.

     After entering the living area Breanda offered Plasant a place to sit down. “Would you like something to eat or drink before we begin.”

     “Normally I would say yes to both, but I don’t have time for pleasantries. What I need to talk to you about is very serious. It might even be dangerous.”

     Breanda was sitting back in a chair opposite Plasant. Now she leaned forward with her hands on her face and her elbows on her knees. “How dangerous are we talking about?”

     “Sorry about that? I’m not very good at this. That’s one of the reasons why I haven’t talked to you about this until now. I should have done this weeks ago.”

     “You are starting to scare me. What is this all about?”

     “I’m sorry I’m so bad at this. Maybe my partner should be here instead of me. You are both females, but she thought it would be better coming from me.”

     When Breanda didn’t say anything right away Plasant continued. “What do you know about the Mordan murders?”

     “Everyone knows about him. He killed about a thousand Boranians for around twenty years. Then the killings suddenly stopped, and he disappeared. No one has seen him since then. That was almost fifty years ago. Why did you mention him? What does he have to do with me?”

     “All very good questions. I’ll try to answer them all.”

     “Didn’t he kill his victims a few villages from here?” Breanda asked too.

     “Yes, he did. Only he buried them in villages around there. This is where he buried his victims in this village.”

     “So that’s why I can’t grow anything in my yard. Why my yard looks like a giant smooth pile of dirt. I have tried grass, plants, trees and flowers. Nothing will grow. I’ve even tried fake grass, but that didn’t work either. Now I know why. I also know why I got this place so inexpensively twelve years ago.”

     Breanda’s babbling got worse when she was nervous about something. “Did the last owners know about this. I wonder if the builders knew about them. How could they not know? After all, I do have an underground.”

     “I can’t answer the last set of questions, but I can the others though. Mordan has been seen several times he. We don’t know why he’s come back, but we do know what he’s going to do. He has done it at several other villages around here.”

     Breanda wasn’t the only one who could talk none stopped. So did Plasant. “You think he’s coming back here – don’t you? That’s why you have been watching my residence.”

     “You’re right. He is coming back to this burial site. We just don’t know when, and we need your help if we are going to catch him.”

     “What can I do to help? I’ll do whatever you want, or need, me to do. Did anyone ever figure out why he was killing people randomly or why he suddenly stopped?”

     “You can help us by letting us stay here until he does show up. Like you said earlier, you noticed us out there. He might have too. That’s why he hasn’t done anything yet. Maybe if he thinks we have given up he might.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Breanda stared out her window, and did a quick double look. Then she ran around the upper floor of her round residence looking out the windows on the other five sides of her place. “I can’t believe what I am seeing.”

     Below Breanda her yard appeared to be a metal yawn. In row after row small hole spears jetted out of her yard about three inches above the ground and around an inch between each one.

     “It’s been three weeks since Plasant and the others sort of moved in. I didn’t think Mordan would ever some here, but he has – and look at what he has done.”

     Breanda ran down to the first floor. “I’ve got to see this close up.” When she opened her front door she ran right into Plasant.

     “What happened to my yard? Did you catch him? Has he told you why he did this?”

     “Yes, we caught him. He has told us why he did it too. He’s dying, and he wants to release all of his victim’s souls before he dies.”

     Suddenly about a hundred muffled screams could be heard all around them. They looked out to see smoke coming out of the holes – and heading for the clouds above. After a few seconds it was all over. “We should have these metal things removed very quickly.”

     “Don’t bother. I kind of like it like this. It’s not much of a lawn, but it is a lawn now.”





© Copyright 2016 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2077275-Mordans-Murders